GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need as many opinions as possible.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Who would be interested in a turbo kit that tunes itself? For any fuel injected ECU driven available car?

It would be ALMOST plug and play.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
everyone?

#winning.

seriously though, I think there would be lots of interest and lots of questions.

True. But I'm willing to be VERY open to anything. I've been working on this system for about a year now and I'm at the point to guage the aftermarket interest.

It would run to the turbos HIGHEST efficiency for that specific engine. It would tune its own timing, fuel, etc. given the Control unit I pre-make. And just plug into the OBD2. I might make some kind of pig tail, so you can still use it or have it "flash" the ecu on its own.

Maybe I can have everyone put their own ideas in for such a system as well.

rcopp

Ready to race!
I'm intrigued by this.

FNR32

Ready to race!
I would be interested.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The worst problem with this system is, is the shear amount of computer components that will be needed. Ignition timing, fuel mixture adjustment, boost adjustment (Which actually will be controlled via the turbo's efficiency island.)

Granted this system wont be for hardcore people who want to make thousands of horsepower, but more for the people who want to turbo, but dont really have the know how or time.

BRAIN DUMP:
Without divulging in too much detail, Essentially we have the most efficient rating from the turbo that we are aiming for. This can be calculate for every type of engine. Then this is given a specific pressure ratio. with some math, a modified airflow value will be given. If this value isnt what the computer wants it adjusts the fueling/timing neccesary to provide for better airflow through the turbine.

I'm having a problem figuring out how to relay that information back to the car's ECU and have it adjust. I need a "signal" to tell the ECU to do such an event. Or maybe I can create a diagnostic mode that will tune itself at idle or a WOT run. I just dont want this kit to be overly expensive with computer equipment and vehicle specific. I want it to be plug and play.

Any comments?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
cool idea and all, but definitely risky...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
cool idea and all, but definitely risky...

True, but allowing the computer to tune itself for maximum efficiency might be safer than someone not knowing whats best for the engine.

Think if the ECU is solely trying to keep a certain A/F ratio. It adjusts its own timing and own mixture to stay within its limits. AND keep the turbine efficiency at its maximum.

The only thing that would change is the injector flow to accomodate the mixture. I think thats where I'm heading

Last edited:

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
True, but allowing the computer to tune itself for maximum efficiency might be safer than someone not knowing whats best for the engine.

This, on our cars we don't have this problem since APR, GIAC or other tuners do it for us. But I've seen other cars where people don't have an idea of what to modify and they just scream MOARRR BOOOSTTTT and BAAAAAAMMMM

the game

JhnR

Banned
it sounds futuristic. in for more debates.

seems to easy to say but harder to pull off.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This, on our cars we don't have this problem since APR, GIAC or other tuners do it for us. But I've seen other cars where people don't have an idea of what to modify and they just scream MOARRR BOOOSTTTT and BAAAAAAMMMM

the game

But this will eliminate having to go to tuners and worry with all that hassle. Slap a turbo on. Turn your car on, let it "sync" or run a diagnostic mode, and you're good to go.

I would warranty it for failures inside the operating limits, but not if someone wants to turn up the boost on their own. Boost is controlled by compressor efficiency in this case, not by user preference.