GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need ur help NOW more then EVer Please read!!

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The best way to warm up the engine is to drive it gently. Driving will also increase oil pressure and help distribute oil around the engine, even when it's cold. Sitting in the driveway at idle isn't doing anything beneficial after the initial 20-30sec to spin some oil around.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Oh good grief... It's actually coolant temp.. but it directly will relate to the engine/oil temp.. The point was.. Lettnig it idle DOES warm up the engine.. get the oil flowing, etc..

warming up a turbo car is always a good idea as is a cool down period after flogging it (not so much of a big deal on the GTI as it is on my Rabbit) Oil will be up to temp in 1.5 times as long as it takes to get the coolant up to temp so remember to wait a minute or two after the coolant temp is prime... That being said driving the OP's GTI sounds almost like driving my MKI after letting it sit for a couple days and usually I can watch the voltage gauge fall off below 11 as the car dies. I just keep the revs above 2k until the car gets a little more warmed up and the volt meter stabilizes. I'd suggest hooking up to a trickle charger and seeing if that stabilizes your battery enough to deal with, take the car to autozone and have em bring out the tester/charger on wheels and see where the voltage sits. You should be around 14v with the car running. Could also test this with a DVOM

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
i have a forged dv... im gonna hook up a obd2 scanner and see if i get any codes..
but i dont have the cheak engine light on..
but yea that sound i heard was hell weird..
i always let if run a few min before going..

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. I also have a Forge DV btw. The problem was the upper portion of the DV was getting loose all u have to do is screw it back on tighter, or maybe your dv piston is getting stuck. You'll only get a CEL if at WOT most likey as you are loosing boost.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
op i have no answer for you but on the warming up issue:

i let the car sit on until the rpms drop to about 800 from 1200 on a cold start (even in warm weather) this takes about 1 minute, then i drive while keeping it under 3000 rpms, then i drive as i please after it gets to temp

vwbulla

Ready to race!
I have had the exact same thing happen to me. I also have a Forge DV btw. The problem was the upper portion of the DV was getting loose all u have to do is screw it back on tighter, or maybe your dv piston is getting stuck. You'll only get a CEL if at WOT most likey as you are loosing boost.

ok so u had this happen to ok..
can you tell me more..how to reach this dv..idk where its at..
yea i must have had a cel thrown cuz it kept dying after i put it into neutral after it warmed up..wierd.

Lucidity

Marx
really? because warming your car before driving helps bring up the oil temp (shown by the dash gauge) therefore proving that the engine does warm up. pretty sure that's half the point of the gauge.

Off topic, but I'd like to know if you do this often in your car and if and when you needed to replace your cam follower. Just curious if you are wondering why.

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Jack the car up on the passenger side, and stick a jackstand under it. Slide under from the front of the car find the axle on the passenger side. The DV is about 6 inches above the axle (roughly the location, you should be able to find it easily from there). Tighten the cap on your Forge DV. Done.

SimonSaysGTI

Ready to race!
Letting your car sit at idle and warm up is a bad idea. Its not just a waste of fuel but it actually allows water to condenses in the oil. thats not so good. If you wait a few seconds to let the oil reach the top end then drive you reduce the amount of water and it takes less of a drive to burn off. Thats why short trips are not good for cars.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
really? because warming your car before driving helps bring up the oil temp (shown by the dash gauge) therefore proving that the engine does warm up. pretty sure that's half the point of the gauge.

drive the car calmly, warms up in a few minutes.

idle the car for 20 minutes it will be warm.

i prefer to drive and warm it up in 1/4 of the time.

vwbulla

Ready to race!
Jack the car up on the passenger side, and stick a jackstand under it. Slide under from the front of the car find the axle on the passenger side. The DV is about 6 inches above the axle (roughly the location, you should be able to find it easily from there). Tighten the cap on your Forge DV. Done.

thanks u.. im gonna do it after workk.take it off see if it is ok..and all.
does it need oiling up maybe?