GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Induktion Motorsports / GIAC K04 Development**

The power of a chipped 2.0T TSI is great, however, it is inevitable that people want more power! Our goal since taking delivery of our Mk6 has been to develop the platform… As evidenced by our new I-Flow line of intake products for the TSI. More to come as we push the 2.0T TSI to it's limits.

The factory-proven K04 from the S3/TT-S/Golf R fits the bill very well, despite the changes required for the TSI motor. After modifying the K04 to fit the TSI motor we began the rest of the build up of ancillary components to extract all the power this turbo is capable of providing for us, and on this build that includes:

• Factory K04 Turbo - Modified by Induktion Motorsports to fit the TSI
  • GIAC / Induktion software
  • Induktion Motorsports 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
  • Induktion Motorsports I-Flow Intake - with Stage 2 Pipe
  • Induktion Motorsports Mechanical DV Kit
  • OEM S3 Intercooler

We have been working diligently with GIAC on a totally new file to fit our goal, which at this time is to make as much power as possible, safely, on pump gas.

Important things to note with this current setup:
  • Boost is conservative, with a maximum of ~20.4psi (2410mBar)
  • This is fully intended for PUMP fuel, a water/meth variant is in the plans
  • Factory EGT protection is INTACT
  • AFR is solid in the mid-11's

Preliminary dyno numbers, on a Mustang AWD-500-SE dyno put us at 303whp / 295.3wtq(green lines). Numbers are great, but a baseline is important in turbo systems. Thus we also put a Mk6 GTI with GIAC Stage 1+ software and our I-Flow intake on the same dyno, that vehicle made 227whp / 242wtq(red lines).

Assuming a roughly 17% drivetrain loss with this dyno, this would put our K04 system at 365HP and 356ft-lb.

Click the dyno graph below to see it full-size

Other components on the car
Induktion Motorsports I-Flow Intake - Our I-Flow Intake is a 3" intake system (utilizing stock MAF housing) with a dry air filter that seals to the hood and includes a bracket to secure the intake pipe. Our Stage 2 Add-On Pipe completes the intake by replacing the piping between the MAF and the turbo inlet. Both pieces are powder coated and available in 3 color choices.

Induktion Motorsports 3" Turbo Back Exhaust - Our exhausts are made in-house and offer complete stainless steel construction. Our shop GTI uses a 3" version with a single muffler for an aggressive tone.

Induktion Motorsports DV Kit - Specifically designed to be used with our K04 system, we replace the factory DV with a significantly more robust 34mm Forge piston valve. This also includes a new Stage 2 pipe with a recirculation port for the DV.

OEM S3 Intercooler - Significantly more efficient than the stock intercooler on the Mk6, the S3 intercooler is an easy and cost-effective upgrade. We are also working on a more robust intercooler setup that will work well with even larger turbo systems.

The future:
We will continue to work with GIAC on the software side, as well as tweak the hardware to ensure we are getting the most out of this platform. A bigger, more efficient front mount intercooler and water/meth are next… I'm going to guess that rods will be coming soon after that :laugh:

Last edited:
Price??? Will the software be available seperately?

Pricing and actual release details will follow soon. At this point this is more of an informational post to share what we are working on in the short (and long) term :thumbup:

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
The torque curve seems a fair bit different from the ones from the APR software for the K04. Makes a good comparison.

Your numbers are looking good !

Damn! More choices...so we are goin to set-up three cars with different K04s and maps and let it rip at Sepang F1 track.
Sounds so tempting!

SixZeroFour

Ready to race!
Good on you guys for making a truly informative post that has essentially all the important facts laid out including dyno backup. Other companies should be taking notes...

Now does GIAC create the tune based on your (Induktions) specs or do they base it on the capabilities of the turbo itself? I am a little confused here because GIAC obviously also makes the tune for AWE which has produced lower numbers. When asked why, AWE said it was because they felt APR was pushing the K04 past it's safe limits on the top end. Can you share your thoughts on this?

I know its very unlikely, but in the event of a software issue who would the customer be dealing with in terms of warranty - GIAC or Induktion?

Thanks and look forward to seeing more on the kit.

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
good question.
that would be my one hesitation (the fact that AWE has had so many issues with the GIAC software on the k04 kit).
honestly, I'm going to go with whoever offers the most seamless kit (that's hardware+software), the best price, and whoever doesn't require the noise pipe for the dv.

Now does GIAC create the tune based on your (Induktions) specs or do they base it on the capabilities of the turbo itself?

Both of these options are really kind of synonymous. Our goal for this is to see how far we can take the K04 while still keeping our key "safeties" in place.
  • Factory EGT protection
  • Reliable injector duty cycles
  • Safe knock correction factors
  • AFR's within an appropriate range

Increased boost yields increased heat, both in the turbo and in the piping leaving the turbo in both directions (boost and exhaust). Keeping this heat in check is very important and thus a reason for our moderate boost levels. Making big power isn't difficult, but making big power that lasts is the key here.

I am a little confused here because GIAC obviously also makes the tune for AWE which has produced lower numbers. When asked why, AWE said it was because they felt APR was pushing the K04 past it's safe limits on the top end. Can you share your thoughts on this?

This ties into my heat comment above, we are well aware of the heat produced by a K04 that is producing upwards of 1.4bar until redline. Our boost levels taper at the top end specifically for this reason. The K04 flows very well, but it shouldn't be confused for a large GT ball bearing turbo; subsequently power drops off after 6000rpm and thus it is pointless to continue attempting to make 20psi over this point. You don't gain power, but you do gain very dangerous heat.

I know its very unlikely, but in the event of a software issue who would the customer be dealing with in terms of warranty - GIAC or Induktion?

As with other files created by GIAC for a specific tuner, they can be flashed/reflashed by any GIAC dealer. As far as after-sale questions in regards to a file created "for" us, we can handle trouble shooting (as could GIAC directly)

SteveP

Ready to race!
What exactly has to change on the turbo to get it to fit the TSI motor???

I seriously need a KO4 for mine!!!