GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve asked Meera to put everything she has said in writing, funny enough no reply after 48 hours 🤬🤬

tos

Go Kart Champion
Maybe it’s time to up the ante and consider involving the media 🤔.

It’s all very well for VW’s exec office to direct customers to the dealership to resolve these issues, but if VW haven’t provided dealers with the means to satisfactorily fix customer’s cars, then IMHO that’s not an acceptable response from VW.

I dare say there’ll be quite a few mk8 Golf owners who don’t visit forums who’ll also be experiencing similar issues to many forum members. Perhaps some negative publicity on BBC’s Watchdog slot on The One Show might generate some meaningful, positive action by VW.

I had tiguan previously, tailgate had some paint problems.
The paint came off and zinc was visible.
They did not fix it.

I posted pictures to twitter and marked our vw dealer. Then I paid about 40€ to advertise that tweet, it got about 35 000 views :cool:
VW called to me and they fix it and paint that rear hatch door again.

Doctor71

Does anyone know if the tpi upgrade to 1668 software is available yet?
I had mine in for a service a couple of weeks ago and was advised my unit was fully up to date.
Same infotainment problems exist and I’m not sure any updates were made at all.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Checked a week ago and still no 1810 update for 166x owners. In some countries where the TPI is available they only update the car if the car has problems that are listed or point to the update.
Also a new update 1896 has been released in Germany TPI:2066207/1 which should be available elsewhere.
This update applies to the following software versions: 1780, 1788, 1803, 1804, 1885, 1890.
Also this update can be applied to 1810 with Discovery Pro it seems…
This update seems to fix the following:
Voice control problems
Map poorly displayed in AID.
Audio playback via Bluetooth keeps dropping out
Rear camera overlaps, flickers, lags, stays black..

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Hallelujah, the Golf is finally back! After 2 months at the dealer, following a disastrous recall software update, Germany came through with more software updates/fixes this morning and the car is back in the land of the living. Have only driven about 20 miles but all the systems are back and so far everything seems to be working OK, no dings or error messages. I have yet to try the known areas where, like Wallop, it reverts to KPH. I will keep you all posted. Below are the items that have changed on the car's system since the German intervention/s although other things may have been done which I am unaware of.

Device part number 5H0035820D changed to 5H0035820H
Software 1803 changed to 1890
Navigation database changed from 21.3 to 22.1

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So if i got this correctly, the 1896 software update is for all Golf 8 making future software updates a lot easier, every future version will be compatible with every Golf 8 built so far.

Version 2xxx is in testing so i was told .. not sure what will come with this release.

So the updates go like this:

1. 166X - 1810 - 1896 (Here in UK and Ireland the 1810 TPI has not been released yet)

2. 178X - 180X - (1890) - 1896 (1890 has been replaced with 1896)

Also most device part numbers get updated with the 1896 software update.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Begs the question? Will VW :-
1. Update all Mk8 Golfs.
2. Only update those that have issues.
3. Update on request.

Thanks Massimo for keeping us in the picture.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi @Massimo 2323 . Do you maybe know what versions of software are on the ID4 and the new ID Buzz?

Looking at this video:
the infotainment looks to be somewhat different than the one in the Golf. Example: outside temperature on the infotainment screen bellow the clock, different home screen layout, different icons for Internet connectivity etc. Also the whole system seems much more responsive (especially the navigation scrolling) than my current 1890.

Wonder if this is the 2xxx software?

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO strange move by VW 🤔
A very interesing recent interview with VW CEO Herbert Diess (also) on the topic of software for the Verge, pasting some excerpts below.

If you drove an Audi or Porsche and Volkswagen today, you would probably have different hardware and software for navigation, for climate control, and even for the window lifter. That’s not necessary. … Software offers a huge opportunity for economies of scale, still allowing for brand differentiation.

Now, a Porsche can remain a Porsche, even better than today. An Audi can remain an Audi, and Volkswagen will offer a broad range of products, but the basic software stack can be very, very similar. Software is relatively expensive in automotive. Now it’s a one-time expenditure. … We think that we have a good chance to also become very competitive in software if we build a common basic software for all the brands. This is exactly why we founded CARIAD: to get from a world where we bought software with the embedded systems to our own software stack. The brands have all the tools and all the freedom to differentiate for sportiness, for comfort — for all sorts of different use cases. This is why we think we are well set up for this new world, where economies of scale will probably play a bigger role than in this old auto world. Differentiation will probably be more difficult, but through software, it will be very, very possible.
----
We have that revenue in mind for sure as well. Customers will be prepared for some features they didn’t buy at the start, probably after a few years or after a few months — even if they consider taking another option or another software feature, the customers would be prepared to pay a monthly fee or a one-time expenditure. We estimate that the big difference is that we keep the residual value of the car higher, we keep the car fresher, and we get a better customer experience.
---

Let me ask you a very reductive question: do you think the future of Volkswagen is a hardware company, a software company, or a services company?

It’s combined. It’s all three. We will remain a hardware company because we need excellent manufacturing skills as well as finish quality in the future designs. We need direct customer contact, so we will remain part of that. Software will be decisive for the differentiation and for gaining the economies of scale, so we will become a software company as well — talking to the customer and delivering day in and day out. We will also become a service company because mobility will change. Pay-by-use sharing fleets, mobility services, and autonomous vehicles will change mobility quite considerably. People may not own a car anymore: they may just use cars, and we will be a part of that game. We will definitely become all three of those companies, so we will remain a bit complex, but a lot more vertically integrated.
He also directly admitted to prioritizing higher value cars:
We lost market share in China because of the chip supply, and in Latin America because we prioritized the higher spec cars and the premium brands.

Reactions: tos