GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I am getting the steering wheel replaced in a few weeks because of these two errors ... hopefully it fixes the problem...
I CAN’T see the reasoning for replacing the steering wheel when the the Travel Assist functions are controlled by a button on the steering wheel but the SOS system is operated by a button in the roof therefore I can’t see how it is influenced by anything on the steering wheel?

Last edited:

Dhiller007

I can see the reasoning for replacing the steering wheel when the the Travel Assist functions are controlled by a button on the steering wheel but the SOS system is operated by a button in the roof therefore I can’t see how it is influenced by anything on the steering wheel?
I had the same problems as you are having. A few weeks ago they replaced my steering wheel and all is fixed now. The SOS error is not related to the button in the roof, this error message is the related to the system that will put the car to a stop if the driver is not reacting any more, thats why replacing the steering wheel will fix it.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I can see the reasoning for replacing the steering wheel when the the Travel Assist functions are controlled by a button on the steering wheel but the SOS system is operated by a button in the roof therefore I can’t see how it is influenced by anything on the steering wheel?
It’s actually the Emergency Assist function, which detects if the driver is no longer in control (by sensing no hands on the steering wheel) and brings the car to a controlled stop. Different from the SOS button.

The common factor with Travel Assist and Emergency Assist is they both rely on sensors to detect hands on steering wheel.

Our steering wheel was replaced in January 2021 and completely solved the problem….. …..until a few weeks ago. Am getting the warnings occasionally, much less frequently than before - and seems to be associated with damp weather. It’s not sufficiently annoying / frequent to book it in. I suspect it will improve with the season. Maybe…..

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just been on a 80 mile journey. At first no warnings and just as I thought it might have sorted itself (wishful thinking) it started pinging again with annoying frequency. On the return journey it didn’t do it once.

My problem is, if I take it to my dealer they will say/lie ‘never come across this before Gov’. If I quote this or any other forum they will treat me like a conspiracy theorist 👎😳.

Matkformosa

I am on 1803, every now and again I get these errors. Dealer said that there is a campaign update… is it worth doing? Why aren’t patches and fixes done over the air?

Attachments

• 22EF8E9F-41A0-44B8-8E3A-94F4145582D6.jpeg
    22EF8E9F-41A0-44B8-8E3A-94F4145582D6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 176
  • D196F2D0-083E-466B-BBA7-1F95F48904AE.jpeg
    D196F2D0-083E-466B-BBA7-1F95F48904AE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 175

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I keep getting the SOS warning but i'm not sure if buy the sensors thing as for me it always happens in the same places.
It always happens after the 2 clicks it's recently been doing it just at the m1 junction of the M25 every journey and it also happens at the same places on the way to and from work.
The infotainment keeps logging me out mid journey too.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I am on 1803, every now and again I get these errors. Dealer said that there is a campaign update… is it worth doing? Why aren’t patches and fixes done over the air?
Must be the service campaign 48Q5 for the steering wheel replacement..
Big software updates are only done at the dealer.
Why?
Not sure .... maybe they are afraid that doing these updates online might kill the car:LOL::LOL:
I see the Octavia 4 now get big updates OTA and I heard even the Formentors (they have the same hardware and baseline software as the Golf 8)

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I keep getting the SOS warning but i'm not sure if buy the sensors thing as for me it always happens in the same places.
It always happens after the 2 clicks it's recently been doing it just at the m1 junction of the M25 every journey and it also happens at the same places on the way to and from work.
The infotainment keeps logging me out mid journey too.
Are you getting the Travel assist fault also?
If not then your problem could be the SOS unit would need to be swapped ...

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
The reason VW can’t do OTA updates is because they are a car manufacturer that tries to integrate computers whereas Tesla does OTA updates because it is a computer business that tries to make cars.

Philster

Hi all

Does anyone have a light at the bottom of the Home Screen above and to the right of the volume slider? If I go to full screen map then back to the Home Screen it disappears. Local dealer says this is working as intended??
Thanks
701D8559-B661-4A2F-82B5-DE9712AED5DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 67236958-E019-4C0D-81DD-6D5D24F8804C.jpeg
    67236958-E019-4C0D-81DD-6D5D24F8804C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 6BD20850-1905-47D2-9F8B-40B2D8F17106.jpeg
    6BD20850-1905-47D2-9F8B-40B2D8F17106.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 120

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Another update. After more than a month my Golf 8 style etsi is still with the dealer (Peter Cooper, Shirley, Southampton) following the update recall
VW 9088-1 they applied resulted in most of the assist systems becoming unavailable plus loss of other functions.

It has been passed to VW Germany who have not communicated back to the dealer for over 3 weeks now.

Car was basically fine on 1803 before the update was applied, no-one seems to know what recall 9088-1 was supposed to achieve, I had hoped it was 1890, does anybody out there know?

Waiting to hear from VW customer services what they can offer, although I sense know the answer... pretty disgusting really.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
There’s an expression ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. I’m coming to the conclusion that with VW the expression should read ‘If it’s partially broken don’t bother trying to fix it (because we can’t)’.