GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
For us 166x there is no TPI to update to 1810 yet. Just checked today and still nothing.
So it works like this:
16xx -> 1810
1778/180x -> 1890
I have already seen a newer version for those on 1890 numbered 1896 but the TPI is not out yet anywhere.
1896.jpg

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
For us 166x there is no TPI to update to 1810 yet. Just checked today and still nothing.
So it works like this:
16xx -> 1810
1778/180x -> 1890
I have already seen a newer version for those on 1890 numbered 1896 but the TPI is not out yet anywhere.
View attachment 240620
Mines back at the garage on Monday. I’ll see if they have heard anything about 1896. Doubt it though, you seem to know much more that they do!

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
Email and impeccably polite letter sent to Mr Alex Smith MD VW UK. Email reply received from the Executive office (as Handydave predicted) apologising that Mr Smith couldn't deal with it in person but that the case had been passed to Meera Chand at the Executive Complaints Team who would be in touch within 48 hours. I hope this generates a more proactive stance and a better outcome, we shall see.

Thanks to everyone who has helped thus far.
I have also been passed to Meera Chand, who appears polite and apologetic but still insists it’s the dealers responsibility on not VWs. I tried to get my point across that the car is built by VW and errors were Known by them so VW should take some responsibility. But the conversation came to that it’s the dealerships responsibility. Not getting anywhere and frustrating

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
I have also been passed to Meera Chand, who appears polite and apologetic but still insists it’s the dealers responsibility on not VWs. I tried to get my point across that the car is built by VW and errors were Known by them so VW should take some responsibility. But the conversation came to that it’s the dealerships responsibility. Not getting anywhere and frustrating
Meera is also dealing with my case. She is polite and apologetic with me too, but keeps pushing me back to the supplying dealer as the place to get issues resolved as ‘that’s what they’re there for’. She does keep in contact with both me and the dealer, but when most of the problems appear to be requiring fixes directly from VW, neither of them have much influence over timescales. It is frustrating VW don’t seem to want to be involved directly with resolving problems, preferring to rely on their dealer network. I do wonder then how much of the resentment with the brand actually gets back to the powers that be within VW? I also discussed compensation with Meera, but even that has to be dealt with by the dealer who in my case has done nothing wrong, other than being the middle man for supply of a sub standard product. I’m hopeful of getting the issues resolved eventually, but it is taking far too long. I’m also thankful that my car isn’t as bad as some of the cases you read about on this forum and that my dealer does seem proactive in seeking solutions, which is more than some seem to be doing.

Last edited:

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
The line I am being fed by Meera is that VW UK imports the vehicles and supplies the warranty but the contractual sales obligation lies with the dealer. As Martinbury correctly states, the dealer has done nothing wrong and is obligated to sell a substandard product. The dealer has little ability to resolve complex software issues and is dependant on VW Germany to supply any fixes. Neither VW UK or the dealer, by their own admission, have any control or influence over timescales for this.

I wonder indeed if the powers within VW have any idea of the brand resentment that this dysfunctional circle of responsibility and accountability engenders. I have another call from Meera on Wednesday, no communication from Germany (2 months now), meanwhile the car remains in the Peter Cooper parking lot. I did ask if my warranty might run out before the car was repaired, just an awkward silence followed.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
This circle of blame is extremely unsatisfactory.

Perhaps you need to email Dr. Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG, (herbert.diess@volkswagen.de) to tell him of the significant reputational damage to his brand that is being inflicted by VW UK and your VW dealer.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
This circle of blame is extremely unsatisfactory.

Perhaps you need to email Dr. Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG, (herbert.diess@volkswagen.de) to tell him of the significant reputational damage to his brand that is being inflicted by VW UK and your VW dealer.
Have sent email, short and sweet, but don’t expect a response. I also tried emailing alex.smith@volkswagen.co.uk but got that back as a delivery failure. If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen. Perhaps it is now!

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
My original email to Alex Smith failed, eventually got through on alex.smith@vwg.co.uk. It got passed on to the Executive complaints, I doubt he even saw it, but worth a try
Thanks for the update. Have tried that email address now. Will see what happens. I’m really intrigued to know if those at the top know of all the problems customers are having or whether they just aren’t interested.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
They are probably worried that if they admit anything they will face another class action like the front assist one.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Today was a particularly bad pinging day. Someone in the car with me wondered if it was more when I was going around corners. When I got home I grabbed the steering wheel pushed it firmly forward and back, turning it left and right. Pinging and messages appeared in quick succession. Does this sound familiar to those that have had new steering wheels fitted?

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes mine did that while stationary in a car park just moving from lock to lock was enough to trigger travel assist error's all fixed since new steering wheel was fitted last July

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
koolmacher,
Matter of interest does your steering wheel have traditional buttons or touch sensitive ones. Mine has the latter.