GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Mine went in today for the infotainment TPI that was supposed to fix the kph/mph malarkey
Got a text to say that the update had been done and the problem has not been fixed (No idea how they checked that?)
and that VW have approved a new infotainment system that will be with them this Thursday.So i'm now in the courtesy Polo until Fri.
It's amazing how quicky you get used to things like auto hold i just parked the Polo and got out then had to jump back as it started rolling away!

tos

Go Kart Champion
Mine updated also today:

From 5H0035820E to J, 1803 > 1890
Radio database 1.30.24 to 1.30.30 (still no logos to all stations).

Now it seems that automatic seat heating will not work anymore, even that feature is set to low...

edit: automatic heating works after hard reset

Last edited:

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the 1890 update to my gtd and since then I have had more and more travel assist and sos errors I thought this fix was meant to... Fix everything it's worse now than before. Only thing that has been fixed it the Adaptive cruise picking up a car I'm overtaking.
A new issue is its picking up slip road speed limits while I'm still on motorway and braking me down to like 40 mph or 30 mph the car thinks I've turned down the slip!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I've had the 1890 update to my gtd and since then I have had more and more travel assist and sos errors I thought this fix was meant to... Fix everything it's worse now than before. Only thing that has been fixed it the Adaptive cruise picking up a car I'm overtaking.
A new issue is its picking up slip road speed limits while I'm still on motorway and braking me down to like 40 mph or 30 mph the car thinks I've turned down the slip!
The slip road speed limit issue isn’t a consequence of the 1890 update - some mk8 owners on other forums reported they were experiencing this before the 1890 fix / update was released.

I can vaguely recall reading a while back about this happening with other car manufacturers vehicles, so perhaps it’s an unfortunate downside of traffic sign recognition that affects many (or even all?) vehicles with this feature.

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know where I go from here I can live with the slip road thing but I can't live with the constant errors pinging up. I may ask for the steering wheel to be replaced see if that fixes it like some others have

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Just been thinking about this a little bit. I’ve noticed that since the 1890 update, the Sat Nav thinks I’m going down some slip roads at motorway junctions rather than staying on the inside lane. Previously, it correctly recognised I was staying on the motorway. Have you noticed this at all? Could this be the reason why the lower speed limits are being applied?

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I used the VW sat nav the other week and noticed that it directs you off the slip road around the roundabout and back onto the road you were on.I quickly changed to google which knew where it was going.
Mine has always picked up the odd random speed sometimes i think it's the road you are going under on the motorway for example coming out of the Holmesdale tunnel on the m25 it says bend ahead 34 mph there is no bend apart from the one above you.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I used the VW maps just a few days ago and when i decided to take a different road the map gets lost on the infotainment but works properly on the dashboard. This has happened twice already.. the arrow points off road or disappears all-together..
Google maps works fine… 09F8740B-E18F-435B-B59B-598201BF15F1.jpeg
D811C6D8-6E8A-4275-8428-DF9D30B3700B.jpeg
3EC39EAF-20D4-4F9F-A8CC-6F2553391A38.jpeg8AB62983-796B-444A-8CE5-8D008FC53D0E.jpeg

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
Have sent email, short and sweet, but don’t expect a response. I also tried emailing alex.smith@volkswagen.co.uk but got that back as a delivery failure. If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen. Perhaps it is now!
Had another frustrating conversation with meera and again it’s not VWs issue but the dealers to sort out. VW will not take any responsibility for the software issues that they have known about. The day I collected my golf is the day VW suspended the production of the Golf to try and rectify the issues. I have sent an email to Herbert Diess but it gets redirected back to VW uk.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Had another frustrating conversation with meera and again it’s not VWs issue but the dealers to sort out. VW will not take any responsibility for the software issues that they have known about. The day I collected my golf is the day VW suspended the production of the Golf to try and rectify the issues. I have sent an email to Herbert Diess but it gets redirected back to VW uk.
I too had another conversation with Meera today and although still extremely apologetic, it is the dealers responsibility to resolve, despite the fact that VW haven’t yet supplied the corrected software! Another call planned for next week to achieve nothing I suspect. ☹️

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having an identical experience, our calls probably follow on from each other. Although she is apologetic and polite, she has little in her arsenal to help owners like ourselves as VW refuses to do the right thing by its customers.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Maybe it’s time to up the ante and consider involving the media 🤔.

It’s all very well for VW’s exec office to direct customers to the dealership to resolve these issues, but if VW haven’t provided dealers with the means to satisfactorily fix customer’s cars, then IMHO that’s not an acceptable response from VW.

I dare say there’ll be quite a few mk8 Golf owners who don’t visit forums who’ll also be experiencing similar issues to many forum members. Perhaps some negative publicity on BBC’s Watchdog slot on The One Show might generate some meaningful, positive action by VW.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Just picked up my car with it's replaced infotainment, no 1890 has been applied only 1803 from 1788 and the only other difference is the navigation database has changed from 21.11 to 22.1
I've just driven along the M4/M25 with multiple speed restrictions all the way and the car performed faultlessly for the whole journey.
No sign of any KPH speeds,No thinking i'm undertaking a car on the left and no errant speeds.
Also the radar image of the cars around was much better no cars just appearing and vanishing and the view in the dial of the media playing usually gets stuck at some point but this time it was perfect.
To cap it off the voice control understood "would you be a darling and play BBC 6 Music" without suggesting Radio Sussex!
Hopefully that's my problems sorted, i've had no re occurence of the SOS warning since the TPI was applied the other week and the big test will be next Fri when i make the journey that i detailed elsewhere,Which is when i get the KPH/MPH malarkey without fail.

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having an identical experience, our calls probably follow on from each other. Although she is apologetic and polite, she has little in her arsenal to help owners like ourselves as VW refuses to do the right thing by its customers.