GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
Going by a report on the Autocar web site all ID Cars are getting a complete software update in April

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
Going by a report on the Autocar web site all ID Cars are getting a complete software update in April
It appears that ID cars got automated lane switching (known from Tesla) BUT apparently it only works with newly built cars :/ probably not coming to Golf anytime soon, if at all.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/volkswagen...-update-new-features-for-id3-id4-and-id5#gref

Again video only in German :/ Google translate of description from Motoreport YouTube:
We are testing the new ID. Software 3.0! With it, Volkswagen has for the first time an assisted lane change in the ID.3, ID.4 and ID.5. It can be used to change lanes on the Autobahn at speeds of up to 90 km/h. At the moment, however, due to legal regulations keep your hands on the steering wheel. The use of swarm data is also new and should not be underestimated: This means that the Travel Assist can also provide reliable support on roads where there are few or only poor lane markings. In addition, the ID. Software 3.0 of Lane Assist revised. The passive lane departure warning system now intervenes less harshly when there is a risk of leaving the lane. The bad news: the Travel Assist with swarm data and the lane change assistant are only available for ID. Models that are newly built because the functions are based on new hardware.
1647898451053.png

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I remember mike from Germany who retrofitted this on Golf 8 about 6 months ago..
So the hardware is there already.. they call it Lane change assist me think..

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I remember mike from Germany who retrofitted this on Golf 8 about 6 months ago..
So the hardware is there already.. they call it Lane change assist me think..

I agree that with the blind spot monitoring, it should probably already be safe to do this in. Press release is out, and they are talking about many, not all features coming to existing owners.
For owners of cars that have already been delivered, Volkswagen plans to provide many of the optimisations of ID. Software 3.0 free of charge via an over-the-air update as of Q2.
Ultrasound here probably refers to parking sensors ...
With two radars at the rear and using ultrasound, the “Travel Assist with Swarm Data” can keep an eye on surrounding traffic and, at speeds of 90 km/h or more on the motorway, also actively support lane changes if desired. When activated, the lane change can be initiated and carried out by indicating.
OTA is becoming a focus, apparently 🙂
As part of the ACCELERATE strategy, Volkswagen is forging ahead with its transformation to a software-oriented mobility provider – and is becoming an expert in software integration and over-the-air updates. The ID. family is pioneering the way.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The ID family is getting all the love it seems. Sad
Doesn’t really come as a surprise If EV’s are seen as the way forward.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I think VW should sort out what should be working rather than adding extra features which won’t work that will then have to be sorted 🤔🤔🤔

Call me a cynic.

”Cynic”.

Last edited:

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
:mad: Initially told by VW that the software fix was available my my golf Mk 8 style and to book the car in, confirmed by dealer that there was a fix. only to now be told that the software fix isn't for my Infotainment Hardware as it's B and the fix is for C and above. VW recognise that there is an software issue with B but at present have not released the right version. This now beyond a joke, its my 18th visit to the dealership for software issues. I have tried to contact VW CEO but get passed back to UK office and Meera Chand is a waste of time and ineffective.

glasrt500

:mad: Initially told by VW that the software fix was available my my golf Mk 8 style and to book the car in, confirmed by dealer that there was a fix. only to now be told that the software fix isn't for my Infotainment Hardware as it's B and the fix is for C and above. VW recognise that there is an software issue with B but at present have not released the right version. This now beyond a joke, its my 18th visit to the dealership for software issues. I have tried to contact VW CEO but get passed back to UK office and Meera Chand is a waste of time and ineffective.
I feel your pain, my car notified my dealer of intermittent faults it was having and they rang to book it in. I have waited over a month for my appointment today as that was the best they could offer … they must be very busy at the moment with other software bugs. Anyway, they received my car this morning with a detailed list of issues it has been having as well as the ones they contacted me about. They got in touch earlier to say that they cannot find any faults using their diagnostic software and that as a result, they cannot update my software unless they identify an issue with the car that the new software fixes. The are keeping it overnight to do a road test tomorrow to see if the faults occur whilst they have the car. I will be really annoyed tomorrow if the end result is them not updating my car. How many reports do they need that the software is terrible and more so, how many times does my car need to notify them that its having issues for them to accept that there is a problem. Waste of time taking it in today if it comes back the same way tomorrow 😡

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Took my Golf GTE to the dealer today to get the annoying SOS and Travel Assist pinging sorted. Ironically on the journey there it pinged to say the SOS was unavailable and for the first time the light on the SOS button turned red and stayed red. The dealer phoned late this afternoon to say that they had done a software update (1668 to 1896? No idea!) but the car still had issues (unspecified) and they were contacting VW for advice 🤔🙄.

I will say no more on the off chance someone from VW or my dealer reads this forum.

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
Still no joy with a software fix, car spent two days in the dealership and error continued and now waiting for VW to come up with a solution/fix. Dealer told me to ignore or be careful what I read on this forum as each each fix is for a certain build or part number and may not be for my car🤔 strange thing is that most of the information is correct😂

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Can they read the TPI? That letter C is not about the infotainment unit but the Gateway control unit and only some My2020 have the older B version.
To know what gateway you have just head down into the driver's feet area and look upwards behind the brake/Gas pedal, you will see a module as in the photo. If the hardware number is 5WA907530C then they can go ahead with the update from 16XX to 1896.
You should tell the dealer he would learn a good few things on this forum.

IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2247.JPGIMG_2245.JPG

cycler

My 2022 MK8 6spd was made mid October 2021 and delivered to my dealer mid November 2021. I picked the car up Jan 4th 2022. Since I got the car I made 3 appointments with the service department to do a diagnostic so they can get rid of all the little gremlins in my car that are causing issues. The quickest appointment I got was scheduled 3 days after my first call. The 2nd was scheduled 6 days after I called. And the 3rd was scheduled 2 weeks after I called. But I missed each appointment either because I forgot or needed the car. Maybe its a good thing I never brought the car in. My car has the 1668 software so what good would it have been to have them check for all these issues. From what I read on this post a new 1896 software update is available. Ill call my dealer to make another appointment and ask about that new update. Is the 1896 update for Europe only? Or is it for all VWs around the world? Here is a list of issues that my car has. Im wondering if my car has the most gremlins messing with the funtions.

1) My remote keyless locking system doesnt always work when I swipe across the door handle. I would say it doesnt work 70% of the time. So I use the key fob to lock the door.
2) The keyless entry doesnt always work. I would say it doesnt work 30% off the time. I pull the door handle and the doors do not unlock. I try again. Sometimes it works the 2nd time. And sometimes it doesnt. So I use my key fob to open the door.
3) Once in a while the radio volume gets low as if the navigation is speaking. Trying to make it louder doesnt work once the volume lowers itself. So I pull over. Shut the car off and open the door which turns everything off. Then start the car up and problem solved
4) Sometimes while listening to the radio (not pandora or anything streamed) the radio volume just shuts off completely. The radio is on but no sound. So I press the play icon for Pandora on the lower right area of my screen since Im always using the Android app. After I press the play icon, Pandora begins to play. Then I press the square icon to the left of the navi screen which brings me to a bunch of main icons like Radio, settings , Android, etc etc. I press radio and the radio turns on.
5) Sometimes I turn the car on and Im in radio mode listening to sports radio. Then 20 seconds later Pandora begins to play. So I do what I did in #4 above.
6) The lane departure warning features stopped working 7 or 8 times. When you hit 35mps a beige lane departure warning icon pops up in the lower right section of your dash. Once you hit 40mps it turns green. Usually when it stops working I dont think about for a day or two. I realize its not working when I look at the lower part of my screen and see some other icon there. The 1st time it happened I noticed it 5 days later. I went into my auto setting and saw it was turned off. So I turned it back on. Every time it stops working and I notice. I go into the auto settings and turn it back on.
7) At least 4 times a week when I press the haptic button on the steering wheel to give the car a command. I say call house. A small icon with a face appears on the main screen and a green line that keep going around the circle with the face. After 30 seconds the cars voice says there is a problem please try again. I try to make the call 2 or 3 more times until I give up and press speed dial on my phone. Once I get to where I have to be and lock the doors. The problem is gone when I drive away later in the day.
8) The front assist brake feature turns on sometimes when Im driving fast. However the cars in front of me are driving fast as well. But when I switch lanes it turns on. Yes it does work if Im coming up fast to the car in front of me. However the feature turned on when nothing was close to me. And when I think it should work (even though I hit the brakes), it doesnt work.
9) This happened 3 times so far. My haptic buttons on the radio stopped working all together on the highway and the streets. I used the main screen to control everything until I pulled over. Turning the car off and restarting didnt work. So I decided to see whether getting out and locking the doors would fix the issue. It didnt fix the issue. So I did it again and waiting 3 mins. That fixed the issue.
10) You can change your dash to lots of different variations. This happened more than a few times. The dash changes to a different look on its own. I know people say the haptic buttons on the steering wheel are sensitive and can change things. But I know I didnt touch it because I drive a 6spd. The button to change it is on the right side of the steering wheel. My hand was on the shifter knob when this happens. So I press the button until it goes back to what I like
11) The orange warning triangle appeared on my dash and indicated that my distance sensor wasnt working 5 times. So I turn the car off, open the door, close the door and turn it on...problem solved
12) The battery starts turning on and off after about 15 mins of charging the phone. And heats the phone up. When it turns back on a sound is made, it says charging on the screen and the phone lights up. At night thats annoying
13) The reverse camera stopped working. This happened a few times. I go into reverse , the rear camera turns on. And then quickly turns off. The issue fixes itself when I drive for a while. Once I get to my next destination and go into reverse when I park. The camera works.
14) These last two issues drive me insane the most. Its what Im writing about now as well as #15. This happens a lot in the morning on my way to work when I stop to get coffee. For example since Monday it happened 3 times. Its been going on since the beginning of Feb. Once I get into my car after getting coffee. The digital cockpit I have set up turns on when the car is turned on. And as soon as I put the car into 1st or reverse depending how Im parked. The look of the digital cockpit changes. So I press the view button until its back to the way I always have it. have my center digital cockpit set up the way I like it. I get into the car in the morning
15) This last issue drives me insane like the one above. It happens a lot. I remember for a fact I was listening to the radio earlier. Ive even made sure to put it into radio mode after I park to get out of Pandora many times. Whether its 5 mins or 10 later. When I get back into the car and turn it on. The radio is on for 10-15 seconds. Then Pandora turns on without me pressing play. I would say this happens 75% of the time. And other times it stays in radio mode. It annoys me because I have my station set to sports radio. So im listening to it for 10-15 seconds and with my luck it goes into pandora when they are saying something interesting

So these are my issues. Does anyone here have as many or more than me? LOL

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Bloody hell Cycler! That’s one long list of issues. Interestingly it doesn’t include the SOS not working and the annoying pinging and warning displays that I have.

Perhaps when I get my Golf back they will have added all the issues you have to my car 🤔🙄.

Since my garage were asking VW for advice on a Friday afternoon I suspect my car will not be sorted by today.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
No 14 i had something similar today
I haven't driven for a week and when i got in the car today it was still how i left it after my previous journey in sport mode and the dash was on the radar view.
Before i set off i changed the view to normal dials and chose Eco i got about a mile away and noticed the option "change settings' and a greyed out cancel had appeared on the infotainment so i pressed change settings and it went back to how it was before i started.
No idea what that was about.
Also i'm noticing that since the attempt to sort out the kph/mph malarkey i having the car thinking i'm undertaking cars on the left more often.