GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

CH47AV8R

Hi everyone!

I bought a 2021 golf R, but the software is still 1788. The dealer ‘doesn’t’ know if there is a update cause he needs to do a ‘diagnostics’. They will charge 140 euro, just for the diagnostics.

Im still having problems with carplay getting purple and all the pixels shift, travel assist not available, step out prevention not working, sometimes it says the parking sensors are not working. I hope the sw update would help with these issues. How are you guys getting free sw updates 🥹

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
The braking issue is fixed with the last update that the dealer did. You will still notice something but it is 99% fixed.

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone!

I bought a 2021 golf R, but the software is still 1788. The dealer ‘doesn’t’ know if there is a update cause he needs to do a ‘diagnostics’. They will charge 140 euro, just for the diagnostics.

Im still having problems with carplay getting purple and all the pixels shift, travel assist not available, step out prevention not working, sometimes it says the parking sensors are not working. I hope the sw update would help with these issues. How are you guys getting free sw updates 🥹
3 year warranty for new cars in UK so I got mine updated through that.
If you get on 18xx you can do a DIY update with a flash drive but will need a dealer to upgrade your 1788 first.

FlyingDutch

3 year warranty for new cars in UK so I got mine updated through that.
If you get on 18xx you can do a DIY update with a flash drive but will need a dealer to upgrade your 1788 first.
Thanks! Yea the car was sold to me with factory warranty, but after the sale I went to a real vw dealer, for the motor cover, and they told me there is no current insurance. I have legal counsel, cause the company who sold me the car took over the insurance cause they advertised to me that it had fw. But i dont wanna go trough that, cause a legal battle is not what im after, but im not gonna pay for something that should be under ‘warranty’.

But as i read your comment correctly, I absolutely need to go to the dealer cause it first needs to update to 18xx?

The seller told me updates are a costumers request, so they aren’t necessary 😅 i hope this wont be a legal battle and the seller will take his loss, cause for sure im not gonna pay for something I shouldn’t have to 🥹

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I find my Mk8 Golf very entertaining. What will not work today will (probably) miraculously work tomorrow.

My cruise control was being rather naughty by confusing kph with mph. The next time I drove everything was tickety boo.

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! Yea the car was sold to me with factory warranty, but after the sale I went to a real vw dealer, for the motor cover, and they told me there is no current insurance. I have legal counsel, cause the company who sold me the car took over the insurance cause they advertised to me that it had fw. But i dont wanna go trough that, cause a legal battle is not what im after, but im not gonna pay for something that should be under ‘warranty’.

But as i read your comment correctly, I absolutely need to go to the dealer cause it first needs to update to 18xx?

The seller told me updates are a costumers request, so they aren’t necessary 😅 i hope this wont be a legal battle and the seller will take his loss, cause for sure im not gonna pay for something I shouldn’t have to 🥹
You do - if it is under warranty and you state some of the issues it is having they really should do it.

FlyingDutch

You do - if it is under warranty and you state some of the issues it is having they really should do it.
In my mind too, but the seller says updates are ‘costumers requests’ so no warranty. But i will see, if they won’t imma call the lawyer again, and let them figure it out.

But i also have the travel assist problem, but does the sw update repair that? Cause i see many people who needed steering wheel exchange, im not in the mood to get another warranty claim lmao. How has vw let this all slip?

We are even thinking of undoing the sale, if i can prove that the car is not working as advertised. Luckily the Netherlands has good costumer protection, but vw really let me down, they weren’t helpful at the dealer and also not on the phone. Will see… thanks for your advise tho!

Manicmillions

Check your vin on the vw au site https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/locals/owners-service/service-campaigns-recalls it works for UK too and if there's a software recall outstanding you might be able to get them to update you through that. 91CU was what most people had to get to 18xx.

After many MANY months my car is finally fully working again after a full infotainment and who knows what else replacement. Who knew a botched update could cause so much hassle. Nice to have nav and mph ACC speed limits back. Hardware has gone up to h58/h42, don't know if that's the faster cpu but it feels slick enough anyway. And early days but the jerky braking isn't apparent so maybe the ecu also got replaced/updated. Touch wood but after years I might finally have no more software complaints! Unless it starts crashing in which case roll on the 1941 update haha

FlyingDutch

Check your vin on the vw au site https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/locals/owners-service/service-campaigns-recalls it works for UK too and if there's a software recall outstanding you might be able to get them to update you through that. 91CU was what most people had to get to 18xx.

After many MANY months my car is finally fully working again after a full infotainment and who knows what else replacement. Who knew a botched update could cause so much hassle. Nice to have nav and mph ACC speed limits back. Hardware has gone up to h58/h42, don't know if that's the faster cpu but it feels slick enough anyway. And early days but the jerky braking isn't apparent so maybe the ecu also got replaced/updated. Touch wood but after years I might finally have no more software complaints! Unless it starts crashing in which case roll on the 1941 update haha
I actually tried that haha, there was only a recall for a software update due to the sos system. That was a ota update. Now the seller claims the 1899 or whatever is the latest version is a ota update, so no need to go to the dealer. But vw and the dealer said that there is no ota for those kinds of updates. Now i get continuously travel assist not available. I feel a lawsuit getting closer and closer. It angers me that is takes so long to get any answers from seller/vw/dealer (the lawyer told me i have the same conditions contract as vw, since they sold it to me. But when i called vw about what the conditions were, they didnt know anything. So i asked if they have any kind of legal department, and they told me no.). Im have a faulty car, but vw doesn’t seem to care, and the seller is trying to keep the wallet shut. I regret getting the car, if the seller is unwilling to pay, imma get a refund.

Wow h58? Why did they replace yours?

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually tried that haha, there was only a recall for a software update due to the sos system. That was a ota update. Now the seller claims the 1899 or whatever is the latest version is a ota update, so no need to go to the dealer. But vw and the dealer said that there is no ota for those kinds of updates. Now i get continuously travel assist not available. I feel a lawsuit getting closer and closer. It angers me that is takes so long to get any answers from seller/vw/dealer (the lawyer told me i have the same conditions contract as vw, since they sold it to me. But when i called vw about what the conditions were, they didnt know anything. So i asked if they have any kind of legal department, and they told me no.). Im have a faulty car, but vw doesn’t seem to care, and the seller is trying to keep the wallet shut. I regret getting the car, if the seller is unwilling to pay, imma get a refund.

Wow h58? Why did they replace yours?
1788 like yours can’t receive OTA infotainment updates. Hit them with that and don’t leave till they agree to do it.

Manicmillions

Rather than just asking for an update, I'd have thought specifically reporting all the symptoms you have would be enough to trigger an investigation under warranty at the dealer. Updating software would then be something they just do as one of the diagnosis steps they have to follow.

It was the 91cu recall update from 1668 to 1899 that fried something in my car that led to replacing various parts in it. Got there in the end but it was a long road

FlyingDutch

1788 like yours can’t receive OTA infotainment updates. Hit them with that and don’t leave till they agree to do it.
Thanks! Got the all clear for the seller to go to the dealer and get diagnostics and updates, on their costs! I also have a travel assist issue, but they told me that they wont replace the wheel (official vw dealer told me this.) cause some are on their 3th wheel, and still have travel assist issues. They are now waiting to have an update from vw about how to fix it.

Rather than just asking for an update, I'd have thought specifically reporting all the symptoms you have would be enough to trigger an investigation under warranty at the dealer. Updating software would then be something they just do as one of the diagnosis steps they have to follow.

It was the 91cu recall update from 1668 to 1899 that fried something in my car that led to replacing various parts in it. Got there in the end but it was a long road

Thats what is gonna happen now. I told them the problems, and then they are gonna diagnose what the problem is. But they told me on the as i said before that the wheel probably wont get replaced due to the ongoing travel assist even after replacing. But you got to update to 1899? Cause im still on 1788, but on the phone they said there is no update, but maybe after the diagnostics they come to the conclusion there is? This is a official vw dealer 🥹

Also: my car doesn’t keep the car in lane, even with lane assist enabled. Could this be due to the travel assist? And so there needs to be a update? Cause it should just keep you in lane, but if i let go it steers straight over the lines in the mud 🥹

I made a vid about the reverse camera, since it now randomly shows a black screen 🥹 problems keep on showing :

Last edited:

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
The Golf 8 is not what it should have been.
They are not able to arrange the software to work 100% correctly.
A big shame

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
I don't have as many posts here as I used to. All was good after the 1896 update, but since the 1899 update - IS rebooting regularly. Yesterday got message check both rear tail lights, nothing wrong with them. Today IS rebooted as I had climate option on screen, after reboot climate wasn't available - all locked up until I parked up and returned 40min later.
There's always something happening to remind me that the software will never be OK ☹️