GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Considering the amount of boost you are pushing through that IS20 it is doing a great job.

It’s picking up IAT from half way through a single gear pull, I wouldn’t say that’s exactly doing a great job.

For the money the factory location eBay intercooler does better, and he already had a factory R intercooler so labor is a wash there

Hotfart

Ready to race!
It’s picking up IAT from half way through a single gear pull, I wouldn’t say that’s exactly doing a great job.

For the money the factory location eBay intercooler does better, and he already had a factory R intercooler so labor is a wash there

To echo the other thread, keep in mind I'm running 27+ psi, and on the single gear pull I went from 2200 RPM to nearly fuel cutoff (6800 RPM). Seems like many of the logs out there start after 3K and end before 6K. I wanted to get the full picture, even if this is not how I normally drive when I push it hard.

Obviously you're well versed in the subject, and trust me I would love to be in the position to drop coin on one of your coolers. They're awesome and I can totally appreciate the work you do. But keep in mind this is just a budget cooler which shows a good improvement over a stock (or R) cooler. Basically, it's for those who are looking for an effective yet affordable upgrade, and/or for those who don't want to go to the trouble of replacing a stock location cooler.

Unfortunately when I bought the car, I didn't know much better regarding the R cooler, and there were none of the cheaper aftermarket solutions at the time. Had I known they were upcoming, I'd have waited :) This time around, I really was not motivated to pull everything apart a 2nd time to replace the R cooler with a Magic/Majesty or similar.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To echo the other thread, keep in mind I'm running 27+ psi, and on the single gear pull I went from 2200 RPM to nearly fuel cutoff (6800 RPM). Seems like many of the logs out there start after 3K and end before 6K. I wanted to get the full picture, even if this is not how I normally drive when I push it hard.

Obviously you're well versed in the subject, and trust me I would love to be in the position to drop coin on one of your coolers. They're awesome and I can totally appreciate the work you do. But keep in mind this is just a budget cooler which shows a good improvement over a stock (or R) cooler. Basically, it's for those who are looking for an effective yet affordable upgrade, and/or for those who don't want to go to the trouble of replacing a stock location cooler.

Unfortunately when I bought the car, I didn't know much better regarding the R cooler, and there were none of the cheaper aftermarket solutions at the time. Had I known they were upcoming, I'd have waited :) This time around, I really was not motivated to pull everything apart a 2nd time to replace the R cooler with a Magic/Majesty or similar.

I’m in no way pushing my kit here just pointing out to some guys who may not be as in tune with the other options that this isn’t the best value per dollar spent. I can definitely see your reasoning behind going this route, but for a guy just joining us in modding a mk7 starting from bone stock this wouldn’t be his best value minded option.

Like I’ve said before any upgrade will be an improvement, same goes here, but looking at performance/results vs labor/install effort I’d still rank this behind the similarly priced factory location units.

I fully agree with not wanting to remove the R intercooler, nobody’s trying to do that job multiple times

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I’m in no way pushing my kit here just pointing out to some guys who may not be as in tune with the other options that this isn’t the best value per dollar spent. I can definitely see your reasoning behind going this route, but for a guy just joining us in modding a mk7 starting from bone stock this wouldn’t be his best value minded option.

That's totally fair, and I agree. Hopefully I didn't come off as suggesting this will perform to the level of a good factory location replacement, because it won't quite do that. In any case, putting info out there for those just starting out is always a good thing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That's totally fair, and I agree. Hopefully I didn't come off as suggesting this will perform to the level of a good factory location replacement, because it won't quite do that. In any case, putting info out there for those just starting out is always a good thing.

For sure, and thanks for posting the review and logs! The more info we can get out on the forums the better basis for comparison there is

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
https://datazap.me/u/hansnc/log-1530016703?log=0&data=3-4

Since what we seem to care mostly about here is the delta between ambient vs. intake [why don’t more people log ambient?], and then under certain conditions, I went ahead and did a basic formula in excel (intake - ambient) and then added it to my data file. It presents the relationship more clearly, at least to me, of delta (intake - ambient) vs condition (pick one or many).

It was cool here this morning for this time of year (74F); this was mostly freeway (obviously) and AC on. I used vehicle speed (also had to be converted from km to mph) instead of crankshaft speed.

Min/Max Ambient Intake Delta = 5/19 (*C)

Not much of a challenge to the IE system, I know; I will log more soon; mid 90s and high humidity are on tap for the weekend.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Nah; make sure you’re looking at the header names to keep it straight.

Ambient was ~25C. At slow speeds, intake air was ~41C. At freeway speeds, intake temp dropped to ~29C .

My intent with this log was to chart vehicle speed vs. delta of ambient vs. intake.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Ambient vs. Intake (IAT)

Ambient may be called 'Outside Air Temperature'

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nah; make sure you’re looking at the header names to keep it straight.

Ambient was ~25C. At slow speeds, intake air was ~41C. At freeway speeds, intake temp dropped to ~29C .

My intent with this log was to chart vehicle speed vs. delta of ambient vs. intake.

So 77F outside, lowest logged was 84* or 7F over. Cruise was 105F or 28F over

C means nothing in America lol

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Yep; a bit of a gaggle to convert back and forth; agreed. Will convert all to Imperial before posting next time.

When I do the correct math [IAT (F) - Ambient (F)] I get the following minimum and maximums.

Min: 9F
Max: 34F

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yep; a bit of a gaggle to convert back and forth; agreed. Will convert all to Imperial before posting next time.

When I do the correct math [IAT (F) - Ambient (F)] I get the following minimum and maximums.

Min: 9F
Max: 34F

I just googled it real quick, 34f is really getting up there for 77F outside.

Here’s one of my kits a few days ago

https://youtu.be/Ad3DHapyAWY

Pretty much a mirror image of the IS38 and stage 2 FBO numbers we’ve seen so far. Shaggz logged 3* over ambient at 96*F opening day at Zmax running the 1/4 mile Revo stage 2

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Very cool. No pun intended. I won’t make excuses; anyone can look at the data and make their draw their own conclusions. We’re lucky as enthusiasts to have so many options.