GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It would be cool if we could take the average WOT temp over ambient and rank all the big ics from that
We have so many logs now I'm curious which one seems to be performing the best on average. For instance there seems to be only a couple that can break and hold into the single digit degrees over ambient. Most fmic seem to be 15-20 , whereas the best DF ones are 7-12.
CTS df seems to be the lowest on average but I'm not sure since they're so many.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It would be cool if we could take the average WOT temp over ambient and rank all the big ics from that

We have so many logs now I'm curious which one seems to be performing the best on average. For instance there seems to be only a couple that can break and hold into the single digit degrees over ambient. Most fmic seem to be 15-20 , whereas the best DF ones are 7-12.

CTS df seems to be the lowest on average but I'm not sure since they're so many.

With GTI Jakes FMIC I am always in the low single digits at end of a pull.....normally 5-9 over ambiant

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I'm actually surprised by the I/C upgrade. I didn't think I'd notice any changes from day-to-day driving, but the car seems to accelerate with less effort even during part-throttle, no boost driving.

The intake temps are about the same as the stock IC when driving around (around + 20°-30°), but it's almost comical how fast it drops down into the single digits when getting into even low boost. The best I've seen is +3° over ambient.

mods: hacked OEM intake; AMS I/C; e-toon by Jon (1st revision)

All this from the inferior tube and fin core!!! :p

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
With GTI Jakes FMIC I am always in the low single digits at end of a pull.....normally 5-9 over ambiant

That’s the beauty of a properly sized FMIC, 25% larger than CTS and Neuspeed and even more than that over Forge. Having adequate volume is key.

I’ve seen 2* over on a variety of customers logs and live data, but there’s a lot of factors that play into that. 5-9* over is a damn good average.

What the logs are taken with matters too. VAG com, OBD11, and Jb4 all seem to have reliable and accurate data, where Cobb tends to do some weird stuff and will even get stuck on a IAT and won’t go up or down regardless of what throttle/boost you’re at

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
You leave it there. Most people do at least.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Since there isn't much info on the AMS intercooler...

https://datazap.me/u/obp/ams-intercooler?log=0&data=3-4

3rd gear, uphill, Golf R. I've been trying different brands of gas. This one is Citgo 93 oct. (the wavy boost is due to timing pull from the not so smooth road and gas)

https://datazap.me/u/obp/ams-intercooler?log=1&data=3-4

Got stuck behind traffic. 3rd gear into 4th.

Do you happen to know the ambient temperature that the readings were taken with?

All this from the inferior tube and fin core!!! :p

I believe there is a lack of perspective when comparing relative performance, most of the upgrade ICs seem to do a good job from the measurements I've looked at.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

I'm beginning to pull results together into a comparison chart.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!

Nicely done [emoji106]. I’ll have to start posting some of my IE IC data to help your sample size, and yield more accurate results. I realize there are many variables at play, but just comparing my personal data with your IC data, it’s very similar. However, my experience across a 3rd gear pull is, when I hit my lowest IAT it holds there throughout the rev range.

Browsed further into your link and read your write up on the air flow of the APR intake vs stock w/o grate, vs stock w/o grate + drop in filter. Very impressive. You strike me as a very quantitative individual. [emoji482]

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Nice work, I’m excited to see it with 10+ cars per brand of intercooler

Another thing I’ve been thinking about. We should compare logs showing turbo outlet temperature (I believe that’s an option) vs IAT vs OAT. This would essentially take the other variables like load, tune, turbo size, ect out of the equation a bit more and focus more on the actual ability to take 300* air down to 95* with only 90* air available to get the job done (for instance)

Last edited:

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Nice work, I’m excited to see it with 10+ cars per brand of intercooler

Another thing I’ve been thinking about. We should compare logs showing turbo outlet temperature (I believe that’s an option) vs IAT vs OAT. This would essentially take the other variables like load, tune, turbo size, ect out of the equation a bit more and focus more on the actual ability to take 300* air down to 95* with only 90* air available to get the job done (for instance)

That would go a long ways toward making the results more reliable. As it is I've discarded a lot of logs for one reason or another, being able to focus just on the IC would be a good thing.