GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 swap P00AF EPC Light limp mode

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Ok, help..

Swapped in an is20. I re used my DV and wastegate. I followed APR's video on how to tighten the waste gate rod. No vacuum leaks or any other issues I can find the whole process went very well. Car has little power due to the limp mode. If I reset the OBD2 the code comes back immediately and is constant. I have an apr Stage 1 tune still. I haven't installed the JB4 on yet. Can I even drive my car now? It seems to drive okay besides barely making boost and being super slow with throttle response and stuff. What do I do??? And worst of all my coworker borrowed my VAG COM cable FML

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I would get your vagcom cable back ASAP so you can run the wastegate diagnostic. Used IS20 should not need readjustment of the WG. Likely it is now out of adjustment and cannot be modulated correctly. Or, you maybe you forgot to plug in a harness connector to the turbo, or possibly swapped two connectors somehow?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I would get your vagcom cable back ASAP so you can run the wastegate diagnostic. Used IS20 should not need readjustment of the WG. Likely it is now out of adjustment and cannot be modulated correctly. Or, you maybe you forgot to plug in a harness connector to the turbo, or possibly swapped two connectors somehow?

Had to swap the wastegate from my stock IS12 And once you loosen the bar it's a new setting basically. I followed their 1.5 turns from no more wiggling of the door instructions

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Had to swap the wastegate from my stock IS12 And once you loosen the bar it's a new setting basically. I followed their 1.5 turns from no more wiggling of the door instructions

From what I understand, it can be 1/4 turn off and still have issues. Run the test through VCDS and see if it passes. If it doesn't, you've found your problem.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
From what I understand, it can be 1/4 turn off and still have issues. Run the test through VCDS and see if it passes. If it doesn't, you've found your problem.

Maybe that's it. Hopefully an easy fix. Getting my cable back today. Car seems to be running fine otherwise? Didn't lose much coolant or oil doing the change :) no leaks now. I replaced all gaskets and hardware. How do I run a test for it?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Maybe that's it. Hopefully an easy fix. Getting my cable back today. Car seems to be running fine otherwise? Didn't lose much coolant or oil doing the change :) no leaks now. I replaced all gaskets and hardware. How do I run a test for it?

There is a video link in the IS20 install instructions thread by MeltedSolid that shows how to perform the test.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
There is a video link in the IS20 install instructions thread by MeltedSolid that shows how to perform the test.

Is it the adaptation that APR shows. It failed on my car. I pulled more codes with VCDS

Wastegate stuck! https://imgur.com/a/Ajjkd

Maybe the rod is too tight!

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
This fault code may be caused when the Actual and Specified Turbocharger requests are considered Implausible by the engine controller.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Is it the adaptation that APR shows. It failed on my car. I pulled more codes with VCDS

Wastegate stuck! https://imgur.com/a/Ajjkd

Maybe the rod is too tight!

Exactly as I suspected. You need to adjust it 1/4 turn at a time as suggested in the video until it passes the test using VCDS. This should have been done before you put the DP and it's heat shield back on. Did you try it yet? Also, did you check the connectors being swapped as I suggested?

I saw in another thread where you say the forum is not being helpful, but you seem to not want to listen when you don't like the answers. The majority of posters here have no experience with this process, so I wouldn't be expecting a lot of responses...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Exactly as I suspected. You need to adjust it 1/4 turn at a time as suggested in the video until it passes the test using VCDS. This should have been done before you put the DP and it's heat shield back on. Did you try it yet? Also, did you check the connectors being swapped as I suggested?

I saw in another thread where you say the forum is not being helpful, but you seem to not want to listen when you don't like the answers. The majority of posters here have no experience with this process, so I wouldn't be expecting a lot of responses...

All the electrical connectors were in the right locations and clicked in. I followed APR's video on wastegate adjustment before installing the turbo on the car. I tried to loosen the rod last night but I couldn't get enough leverage/grip on the rod to turn it. You can easily feel it by hand from the top and get to it from under the car ... maybe mini vice grips would work there. Which part did I not listen to?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Assuming the turbo was reassembled correctly, I think you are on the right track. The video I am talking about (from the IS20 installation guide thread) can be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sne8-9svmN0

I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Without your VCDS cable, you didn't to do the second part with the software to confirm and do potential tweaks for the proper adjustment. If you were close with your initial adjustment, it shouldn't be far off. They actually say to loosen only 1/10 of a turn at a time before retesting the adjustment. Do this until the test passes. You may need to remove the heat shield or whatever you need in order to get to the adjustment/locking nuts.

Sorry for the grumpy response, but you didn't report back to let us know what you tried and what you hadn't tried. Pre-install WG adjustment may not be enough as per the video. It is a very sensitive adjustment. Mine was a bit looser than I expected when looking at mine, so I can see how someone could easily fail on the side of making it too tight on the initial adjustment.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
EPC and related codes are probably because you didn't flash to an IS20 file

That has nothing to do with it. 1.8's can swap to the IS20 without any software changes and then use JB4 to control things.