GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 swap P00AF EPC Light limp mode

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Check the 1st post in the thread. He doesn't have the JB4 installed yet. Needs to either flash to an IS20 file or install the JB4

That has nothing to do with this. The JB4, once installed, doesn't even know the IS20 is there. The IS20 is 100% plug-and-play with the IS12 that comes on the stock Golf. The stock Golf ECU won't know the difference. I can also run map 0 with the JB4 (stock) and it will not throw any codes.

P.S. Also meant to say...another guy running APR stage 1 tune is also doing this without issues.

Last edited:

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
That has nothing to do with this. The JB4, once installed, doesn't even know the IS20 is there. The IS20 is 100% plug-and-play with the IS12 that comes on the stock Golf. The stock Golf ECU won't know the difference. I can also run map 0 with the JB4 (stock) and it will not throw any codes.

P.S. Also meant to say...another guy running APR stage 1 tune is also doing this without issues.

Yeah this is for sure correct. The JB4 is only a piggyback so I knew that wasn't the problem. Electronically the turbos are direct swap, it's just a mechanical size difference.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Assuming the turbo was reassembled correctly, I think you are on the right track. The video I am talking about (from the IS20 installation guide thread) can be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sne8-9svmN0

I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Without your VCDS cable, you didn't to do the second part with the software to confirm and do potential tweaks for the proper adjustment. If you were close with your initial adjustment, it shouldn't be far off. They actually say to loosen only 1/10 of a turn at a time before retesting the adjustment. Do this until the test passes. You may need to remove the heat shield or whatever you need in order to get to the adjustment/locking nuts.

Sorry for the grumpy response, but you didn't report back to let us know what you tried and what you hadn't tried. Pre-install WG adjustment may not be enough as per the video. It is a very sensitive adjustment. Mine was a bit looser than I expected when looking at mine, so I can see how someone could easily fail on the side of making it too tight on the initial adjustment.

Thanks. From the bottom of the car I can easily loosen the locknut but I'm having trouble spinning the rod .. it's pretty tight and there isn't much room for tools. I did the adjustment with a friend. I did notice that my IS12 seemed almost too loose from the factory. I could kind of wiggle the flap around. I just need a good grip on the rod and do the small turns like you said. I got my VAG COM back now as well. What you are saying to do is turn out the rod 1/10 of a turn, leave the ignition on but engine off and try to run the initial wastegate setting test thing in VCDS, and if it fails just keep turning 1/10 until the test finally passes? Then tighten the locknut and be happy

Also if you have any tricks for getting a good grip on the rod without taking everything apart that would be cool! I think a very small vice grip would do the trick at this point. I tried a 4-4.5mm wrench which almost worked but not really enough torque.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. From the bottom of the car I can easily loosen the locknut but I'm having trouble spinning the rod .. it's pretty tight and there isn't much room for tools. I did the adjustment with a friend. I did notice that my IS12 seemed almost too loose from the factory. I could kind of wiggle the flap around. I just need a good grip on the rod and do the small turns like you said. I got my VAG COM back now as well. What you are saying to do is turn out the rod 1/10 of a turn, leave the ignition on but engine off and try to run the initial wastegate setting test thing in VCDS, and if it fails just keep turning 1/10 until the test finally passes? Then tighten the locknut and be happy

Yes, that's exactly the correct details. Loosen it up bit by bit until the test passes.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yes, that's exactly the correct details. Loosen it up bit by bit until the test passes.

Any ideas on how to spin the rod? I picked up a vice grip set today

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Cool! So does your car work yet?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
A lot of people that have done the APR adaption have had issues, most likely due to not getting it right or there is something out with it. The turbos are manufactured to be plug and play and if you buy a used one its obviously set the right way. There is no need to play around unless you have issues after the fact and as Toledo mentioned its a small adjustment that is needed.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Going to adjust tonight or tomorrow. I had to transfer the wastegate assembly from my IS12 to the donor IS20 which is why the adjustment was changed.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Too bad the forum doesn't let me post phone pics. If anyone finds this thread what I did was jack the front of the car up, and use a 4" thin needle nose locking plier to get a good grip on the rod and turn it that way. The locknut is 10mm. Just spin 1/4 turn at a time until the VCDS test passes ... then tighten up the locknut and you should be good to go.

delsvr

Your comments have been extremely helpful here! Would you happen to know what the adaptation in VCDS is actually doing? Is it calibrating and adjusting the required upper/lower stops for the actuator rod?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Your comments have been extremely helpful here! Would you happen to know what the adaptation in VCDS is actually doing? Is it calibrating and adjusting the required upper/lower stops for the actuator rod?

I don't think so... the rod is a very basic mechanical device from what I can see. Glad my thread is helping someone! This info wasn't very out there for me. Seems to just be a diagnostic for the ECU to determine the waste gate position.