GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That rennilne is a nice functional tow hook. I've seen the guys who run the fleaBay ones be told to remove them. When tugged on they can become flying missiles. Corner workers don't like that.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I like the rennline tow hook I have in the front, functional and I think it looks nice (Inner ricer). I want to add a fire suppression system that I can dump in the engine bay if needed. I have a small fire extinguisher that's mounted to the front of the passenger seat.

Regarding the oil cooler I'm going to have to measure to see if a 25 row will fit. I think one of the big problem area's for me is that I don't have any ducting for it. I don't really know where to start on fabbing that up, need some help.

Talk to Freddy on VW Racers. He's got some crazy ducting...probably don't have to go to that degree but should give you some pointers.

I honestly think if you invested in a hood vent like the TCR cars right above the radiator you'd see a big improvement. I don't have a tyrolsport radiator, or water meth and I didn't have the same cooling issues as you despite otherwise nearly identical setups. The only big difference is my hood vents.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Tow hooks are on my list too...and a fire extinguisher.

Bummer you're still having temp issues. My Mocal that i got with my iabed is too small... I was looking at improved products oil coolers. Dual pass and have options for a fan...might be worth checking them out.
i have to find a good mounting solution for my fire extinguisher. there was a square hole in the driver's side rear hatch that showed promise but im not sure what's on the other side so i can't drill it for a rivnut yet.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Talk to Freddy on VW Racers. He's got some crazy ducting...probably don't have to go to that degree but should give you some pointers.

I honestly think if you invested in a hood vent like the TCR cars right above the radiator you'd see a big improvement. I don't have a tyrolsport radiator, or water meth and I didn't have the same cooling issues as you despite otherwise nearly identical setups. The only big difference is my hood vents.
I'll look into what he's done. Shawn blew up his trans and is done tracking his R, he's going to give me his hood to try out. My only concern is I drive to and from track days sometimes in other states etc, sometimes through rain.
i have to find a good mounting solution for my fire extinguisher. there was a square hole in the driver's side rear hatch that showed promise but im not sure what's on the other side so i can't drill it for a rivnut yet.
You want it to be within your reach of the drivers seat just keep that in mind.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'll look into what he's done. Shawn blew up his trans and is done tracking his R, he's going to give me his hood to try out. My only concern is I drive to and from track days sometimes in other states etc, sometimes through rain.

You want it to be within your reach of the drivers seat just keep that in mind.
for tracking, sure. but for my uses, less so.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Tow hooks are on my list too...and a fire extinguisher.

Bummer you're still having temp issues. My Mocal that i got with my iabed is too small... I was looking at improved products oil coolers. Dual pass and have options for a fan...might be worth checking them out.

On the subject of oil coolers, have you guys noticed a whine noise that varies with RPM after oil cooler install? I just wrapped up install and immediately noticed what sounds like an old school power steering pump whine, it's not crazy loud but it's definitely audible. Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

jay745

On the subject of oil coolers, have you guys noticed a whine noise that varies with RPM after oil cooler install? I just wrapped up install and immediately noticed what sounds like an old school power steering pump whine, it's not crazy loud but it's definitely audible. Curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Hm. I actually thought I heard my turbo whine more than I did last season at low speeds but didn't think too much of it. It could be the oil cooler come to think of it.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
resonating sound because of the restriction of the hose and cooler?

Mine doesn’t seem to be blocked, and I’m using -10AN braided hose, which is large considering the application. It definitely sounds like oil pump noise is being transmitted to the lines. I’ve been reading this can be common with add on oil coolers using a filter sandwich plate.

jay745

Well, the car is down again. After returning from a cruise I noticed a puddle underneath my drivers side rear wheel. Rear calipers are toast and leaking around the pistons. I found some cheap centric reman calipers so I opted for those instead of just rebuilding them, got them uncoated and going to give them to a buddy to paint for me. Put a clamp on the hose to hopefully save that precious SRF that's in there.

Going ricer yellow for the calipers, will do the fronts the same color after the season is over.

torga

Autocross Champion
Hell yeah, ricer yellow! Once I find R32 calipers, I was considering painting them a mellow gold.

jay745

Welp, the calipers arrived and are supposed to be uncoated but they came red. Sigh. I couldn't find replacement crush washers for the banjo bolts anywhere... Advanced auto, autozone, napa. Nobody carries them. Tried to find it at home depot motorsports, nope. I went to a vw dealer and they wanted to sell me the whole brake line... at nearly $50 each so that was a nope. Found a similar size washer at ace hardware but I'm having a problem with them sealing. I'm dripping a VERY SLOW drip.. broke down and ordered stoptech stainless lines. I"m supposed to take the car to missouri this weekend, so I'll just bring some extra brake fluid and my bleeder just in case.
20200805_194114.jpg