GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Possibly stupid question, but why did you replace the coolant with water?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Possibly stupid question, but why did you replace the coolant with water?
Not a stupid question at all. It's a track car and you're not supposed to run coolant for two reasons, in the event your car has a malfunction and dumps it's coolant on the track the coolant has glycol in it which is very slippery and will cause the track to shut down while they clean it up potentially ruining the day for the other people attending.

Second reason is water boils at a higher temp than coolant and provides better heat management. I use a wetting agent VP Cool Down to make the water boil higher than normal as well, it provides a similar lubricant to the motor without being slippery on pavement.

I switch to a 50/50 coolant and distilled water mixture for winter storage because straight water will freeze and you'll end up with a cracked block. That said, I have to do a coolant flush twice a year once before winter and once before track season starts.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Not a stupid question at all. It's a track car and you're not supposed to run coolant for two reasons, in the event your car has a malfunction and dumps it's coolant on the track the coolant has glycol in it which is very slippery and will cause the track to shut down while they clean it up potentially ruining the day for the other people attending.

Second reason is water boils at a higher temp than coolant and provides better heat management. I use a wetting agent VP Cool Down to make the water boil higher than normal as well, it provides a similar lubricant to the motor without being slippery on pavement.

I switch to a 50/50 coolant and distilled water mixture for winter storage because straight water will freeze and you'll end up with a cracked block. That said, I have to do a coolant flush twice a year once before winter and once before track season starts.
Wow that's pretty neat, didn't think of it like that. I appreciate it, learning a lot following some of the track rats haha (y)

jay745

Changed the fuel filter and spark plugs yesterday, actually my girlfriend changed the spark plugs which was cool. She's getting more interested in what's actually involved with keeping up a track car. Pulling the first coil pack out she said it wouldn't come... told her to put her whole ass into it and it came out... "sheesh no wonder you're always sore after working on cars".... I did have a laugh at that one... if you think that's tough, try laying on a creeper, bench pressing a trans back up against the motor while a buddy tries to line it up and get a bolt started. I got some pics but she decided she didn't like the way she looked :cautious:

Last edited:

jay745

Ball joints and front hubs are on. I somehow lost my 18mm triple square so I had to order a new one. The rears are on hold until that comes in.
20200620_145007.jpg

20200620_145417.jpg

20200620_154127.jpg

20200620_154258.jpg

jay745

Rear wheel bearings tonight. First time replacing them on this car, I legit thought I was going to snap my big breaker bar that bolt did not want to come loose. Thank God for map gas.

Slight fitment issue with them, once I put the rotor and brake carrier on the rotor was hitting the carrier because these sit about 2mm further out than the oems. Made a trip to home depot auto parts and got a few washers to put in between the carrier and spindle housing. Problem solved.

Gave everything a once over and greased the slide pins and all the poly bushings.

I wanted to do the brake flush but I got really tired and will do that tomorrow.

20200622_191410.jpg

Last edited:

jay745

Lol, yup I saw the other post. I’d probably have had some other choice words about them if they weren’t fitting properly. 😆
I was swearing at them in my garage before I thought to just use washers to correct it... Many non politically correct offensive to some people words were used lol. I have a track day on Saturday and was thinking I was going to have to cancel because I'm sure the torch destroyed the old wheel bearing and it couldn't be re used. Not enough time to get one delivered.

jay745

Is the hub itself too thick or is it how it seats within the spindle?

That’s bizarre, I wouldn’t be happy.
I am pissed at myself for not getting the measuring caliper out to find out where the difference is. I would imagine it's the hub being too thick. If the problem is with how it sits on the spindle I'm going to have an issue. I guess I'll find out when I drive it either tonight or tomorrow.