GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jewfro's NA Miata

JewFro

Ready to race!
Mods Please Delete

Figured I should start one of these even though a "build" hasn't really started yet.

Picked up this 96 Montego Blue Miata last week off my dad. He was the original owner and now that all of us kids are out of the house and on our own he finally bought a Boxster which he has wanted for at least the last 10 years. When he said the car was going up for sale I immediately said it had to be mine and we figured out a "family price", not to mention this is the car I learned to drive stick in and I've done most of the maintenance on it over the years.

So here it is

51k miles
Never seen winter
Power steering and A/C are the only options
Has all records since day 1 including the purchase receipts, window sticker, etc... It was pretty cool going through all the records today.

Immediate plans are bring the car up to date on all the maintenance I think should be done. It runs fine now and technically doesn't "need" anything but the timing belt hasn't been done, the radiator is poop brown, and all the hoses/belts are original. Luckily my dad was good about changing the coolant, trans, and diff fluids every few years.

There is a pile of parts in my garage consisting of all the typical maintenance stuff:

T-belt, tensioner, idler pulley
Water pump
Accessory belts
T-stat/gasket
Cam and Crank seals
Coolant hose kit - the big with like 9 hoses for everything
Upstream O2 sensor
Oil/filter
Valve cover gasket
Fuel filter
Radiator, shroud, and slim fans

I think thats it, might be forgetting a few tings

The plan for this summer is do your typical boltons. Wheels/Tires, IHE, Wheels, Coilovers, Roll bar, etc.. and make it to some Auto crosses and maybe a track day or two.

Did the O2 sensor and oil change last night. Should be good to pass inspection now

16 years of heat cycling made it extremely difficult to get the sensor out. Let it soak in PB blaster for 24hrs, then came back with some Mapp gas, crows foot wrench, and my jack handle on the ratchet for leverage

After reading good things about some of the "ebay" or Mishimoto radiators I picked up this package

DD hanging out back there

Last edited:

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
Congrats! Nice to keep it in the family.

Have fun with your new venture.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'd recommend new wheels and tires :laugh:

Miatas are fun to drive on the track. Probably the most forgiving RWD car you can drive.

JewFro

Ready to race!
I'd recommend new wheels and tires :laugh:

Miatas are fun to drive on the track. Probably the most forgiving RWD car you can drive.

Haha you don't like the late 90's Moda wheels?! Don't worry, something else will happen. Likely 15 or 16" RPF1's with R-comps.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Those are pretty pimp... but pricy. Supercharging it would be a nice idea also...

JewFro

Ready to race!
Mods Please Delete

Mods Please Delete

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Looks to be it... I am surprised ppl go that wide in terms of wheels size. 225s fit on 7 and 8" wheels just fine... and would possibly save weight.

But the consensus is that 9" works really well, so who am I to say anything :laugh:

JewFro

Ready to race!
Looks to be it... I am surprised ppl go that wide in terms of wheels size. 225s fit on 7 and 8" wheels just fine... and would possibly save weight.

But the consensus is that 9" works really well, so who am I to say anything :laugh:

Baffles me a bit too but its a tried and true solution for this chassis as long as you've got coilovers with small linear springs. 15x7 RPF1's with 205/50 R-Comps would be a good solution too. The 949 15x9's are 12.9lbs while the RPF1s are 9.8lbs but you're giving up that extra 25mm of contact patch (or squeeze a 225 on the 7). The extra tire probably has a greater positive effect on performance over the 3lbs of unsprung weight savings per corner but I am by no means an expert on stuff like that.

InFlux1

That Miata will be CSP after a few events in ST :p

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Don't you worry about that :thumbsup:

Go for it if you can man, have you driven one? Sure they're slow but so much fun. Snag a clean early 1.6 on the cheap.

yeah, sis' old bf had a newer miata. definitely a blast to drive. just depends if i can find a deal on one. my friend just picked up a high mileage early 90s one for $1500 and it's super clean.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice....

JewFro

Ready to race!
My dad just picked up his boxster today

Time to get the Miata :)