GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knock retard at low rpm / light load

xxxxxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Car
Mk7 / 6sp / EQT OTS v2 / CTS factory location IC / 91 gas

I’m consistently getting up to 4ish degrees of retard over all cylinders at highway speeds whenever the load slightly increases. Example: cruise control at 70 in 6th (~2k rpm), at the base of a hill where the turbo needs to go from a steady manifold vacuum to a couple psi above ambient, I’ll always get this knock. Now it’s cooled off (northern NM, 70F) I’m getting just over 2 degrees but it never goes away. Is this low speed pre ignition? I can’t see needing to downshift to maintain 70 on a slight hill. WOT runs are always clean, it’s just this cruising / spool up situation.

Is this harmful, and is there a solution?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I run EQT Stage 2 OTS tune and have had knock issues since day 1. Someone at 5150 heard about my issues and sent me their Stage 2 file to try out, knock is significantly better so far. Its a shame cause I really liked EQT's tune.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
I run EQT Stage 2 OTS tune and have had knock issues since day 1. Someone at 5150 heard about my issues and sent me their Stage 2 file to try out, knock is significantly better so far. Its a shame cause I really liked EQT's tune.
How much knock and where were you seeing it? Idle or WOT? Plugs and which octane?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
How much knock and where were you seeing it? Idle or WOT? Plugs and which octane?
It stays around -4.5 across all cylinders, regular driving and at WOT. Running NGK Rutheniums gapped to 0.024" and 91 octane. I did some testing with the 5150 tune tonight, getting pretty much the same results, the knock is just a bit less (-3.75ish).

RTFM

Ready to race!
It stays around -4.5 across all cylinders, regular driving and at WOT. Running NGK Rutheniums gapped to 0.024" and 91 octane. I did some testing with the 5150 tune tonight, getting pretty much the same results, the knock is just a bit less (-3.75ish).
Hardware maybe? Sometimes down pipes can just be a hair out of alignment and cause false knock by tapping on something. Some people saw false knocks with discharge pipes. Just some ideas on where to start looking.

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
@RTFM How exactly do you identify false knock?

OP, I had the same issues running eqt stage 2 ots tune. With high IAT’s and 93 octane gas I would sometimes see -6 degrees of knock retard on some cylinders. After adding a few gallons of ethanol knock was almost nonexistent. Being that this was my only experience with ots tunes I just assumed it was normal.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

OP, I had the same issues running eqt stage 2 ots tune. With high IAT’s and 93 octane gas I would sometimes see -6 degrees of knock retard on some cylinders. After adding a few gallons of ethanol knock was almost nonexistent. Being that this was my only experience with ots tunes I just assumed it was normal.
Why not get an E30 tune at that point?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Pretty sure the e30 ots tunes are only a recent development, they weren’t available at that time. And since then ive upgraded to is38 and custom Etune.
Gotcha. I just find it odd that E85 should be mixed to keep knock at a minimum if its 93oct designed tune.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

You identify false knock by doing what you just did, splash 3 gallons of E into your tank to see if it reduces/goes away or not. If it doesn't, then it's false knock and you have something banging around in the engine bay.

RTFM

Ready to race!
You identify false knock by doing what you just did, splash 3 gallons of E into your tank to see if it reduces/goes away or not. If it doesn't, then it's false knock and you have something banging around in the engine bay.
^that. I only brought it up because he had roughly the same knock on two different tunes. If you have a 91 tune, using 93 should be similar to adding ethanol