GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seals

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I may be wrong, but I tend to think of that as being part of the outside of the car - I seal the paintwork generally referred to in detailing circles as the "door shuts" just as I would the external bodywork.
I agree (and with Sootchucker) - this is normal on all the VW's I have owned - the pinted 'door shut' area is often wet as there is very little to stop it becoming so. The inner water seals are the point at which rainwater should not ingress. The water dripping off the top of the door on to the seats is not uncommon either - well not on VW's in my experience! Its a 'feature', lol!

Thanks for the update. It is ridiculous to have these issues in a 2013 car of the year. VW will say the seals are working as long the water doesn't get into the interior..
To be fair - they are correct!

burso

Ready to race!
Mark they're not. Technically it gets inside in the end. The water drips onto the seats as soon as I open the door. I am also getting used to all the water from the roof pouring down my windscreen and front windows when taking off after a rainy night (which is almost every single one:D) Nice feature too...
I am done moaning now. Think I will have to live with these additions that VW was unable/didn't want to fix in years...

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
I am sorry you are not happy - but as I and other posters have said - its normal for the Golf, they are all like this. I have owned quite a few (Mk.2, several Mk.5's and a mk.6) over the years and water does drip on to the seats and lays on the shut areas. It may well be that other cars dont do this for some reason or other but Golf's just do!

My Scirocco has wet door shut areas - although it is spared the water drip 'feature' as it has frameless doors!

Dagobah

Ready to race!
Its not just VW with problems of water dripping onto seats when opening doors in rain, my father-in-laws Honda Jazz has had two recalls for similar issue as rain drips onto electric window switches and can cause fire risk. Just the way modern cars are designed I guess.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Was the poster above being funny when he said that water pours all over the windscreen, from the roof, when he drives away after it has been raining - of course it does. Where else would it go? Maybe some cars have side gullies to stop water down side window but windscreen ones????

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
They used to - in the 70's !

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Lol! Lots of cars had a sort of chrome rail/trim piece along the roof line just above the doors which acted like a gutter and channeled water fore and aft preventing dripping over the door openings. Once cars got 'cleaner' lines in the 80's/90's this detail disappeared.

Last edited:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I first noticed this type of problem in a new 1984 Audi 100 Avant my Father had bought, the first "smooth" car with no side-gutters etc. - things haven't changed much since