GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

basqueinthesun

Passed Driver's Ed
im in central florida and went with 20% 3m color stable all around and 70% crystalline on my windshield. I wish I could justify spending the extra to do crystalline all around for heat purposes but im still happy with the looks and more importantly the results in terms of heat rejection. Also, with the windshield tint, it's nearly impossible to tell that it's even there. I noticed it initially when I first picked it up, but I highly doubt a cop would give you a hard time about windshield tint 70% and higher

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
I went with 3M Crystalline all around on mine. 50% on the sides, 40% on the hatch, and 70% on the windshield. Dropped my temps a lot and the windshield in particular made a huge difference with the black interior. Crystalline is a bit more difficult to install so make sure you go with a 3M-certified dealer. Worth every penny, IMO.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I have the 3M Crystalline @ 30% all around and it keeps the interior noticeable cooler when sitting in traffic or anything. Not to mention it's just easier on the eyes on a sunny day. Should help with snow blindness as well.

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed
I went ceramic 30% all around. I can definitely notice the difference in heat, but its still light enough the people (cops) can see a silhouette and a seatbelt. I had it done in Delaware so no tax, it came out to $200.00

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Does anyone with Crystalline on the windshield wear polarized sunglasses? If so, how's dealing with the whole rainbow effect?

I had crystalline 70/50 (front/rear half) installed back in October, and when I look out the windows, I get the sometimes-annoying rainbow effect. Idk if it's better or worse with the windshield being at a different angle, so I've held off on adding windshield tint.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I have 5% on the rear and sides and I think 15% on the driver, got a fix it ticket just once because the cop was being a total dick and got huffy I wouldn't give up the details of my investigation to him (control freak) ... $25 later just got it signed off by a cop friend in the Navy lmao. I think 3M was an option but like double the price, I think I paid around $200-250 for everything. Holding up well and works great. Most of the name brands shops sell work very well.

peppy2

Ready to race!
Does anyone with Crystalline on the windshield wear polarized sunglasses? If so, how's dealing with the whole rainbow effect?

I had crystalline 70/50 (front/rear half) installed back in October, and when I look out the windows, I get the sometimes-annoying rainbow effect. Idk if it's better or worse with the windshield being at a different angle, so I've held off on adding windshield tint.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I have polarized lenses and never had that issue.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
F*CK the tint law lol im in ontario with 20% all around. looks pretty dark but it goes nicely with my deep black pearl paint. 35% all around would look nice as well if 20 is too dark for you. even tint levels just look so much better imo. where i am its honestly up to the cop if they wanna ticket me for it. its illegal, but its up to their discretion.

Pingers

Ready to race!
F*CK the tint law lol im in ontario with 20% all around. looks pretty dark but it goes nicely with my deep black pearl paint. 35% all around would look nice as well if 20 is too dark for you. even tint levels just look so much better imo. where i am its honestly up to the cop if they wanna ticket me for it. its illegal, but its up to their discretion.

I'm down South from you with 15% all around. I've ridden by numerous cops without issue. I think (or my hope) is because it's a warmer climate we don't get ridden as hard for tint laws. Most cops use tint as a reason to pull you over for more suspicious activity. :cool:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Here in the US, many states have legal "tint waivers" that can be obtained by the DOT. I got one in my state after talking with my doctor. Never have to renew, good for life on any personal vehicle, and can go as dark as I want all around except the windshield (strip only).

I just keep a copy in my glovebox in case I get pulled over. Medical reasons can range from certain skin conditions to "light sensitivity".....its really up to the doctor if they'll sign it for the given reason.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Hmmm. I have polarized lenses and never had that issue.
It's dependent on a few factors (glasses and viewing angle being a couple). I admit my sunglasses are cheap lol, but if you look online, the rainbow effect is a fairly common complaint with tints. I also have to say that it's fairly faint, so it's not like I see double rainbows blocking my view.

When I got my windows tinted, the shop owner gave me a 4x4" sample of the Crystalline 70 before I made my decision, and the first thing he mentioned was "if those sunglasses are polarized, you'll probably see weird colors at times." The rainbow effect definitely showed up with different levels of severity depending on how I held that cut-out.

*And so I have a more useful contribution to this thread....*
The tint shop I went to had a small bright bulb rigged with swatches of tints below it. I believe it had the 3M Color Stable 35, Llumar Air 80, Crystalline 70, and plain glass. If you put your hand under the bulb with just plain glass, it burns. Crystalline 70 allowed the least heat to pass through while maintaining a light shade of tint. To this day, I'm still happy with my decision.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Here in the US, many states have legal "tint waivers" that can be obtained by the DOT. I got one in my state after talking with my doctor. Never have to renew, good for life on any personal vehicle, and can go as dark as I want all around except the windshield (strip only).

I just keep a copy in my glovebox in case I get pulled over. Medical reasons can range from certain skin conditions to "light sensitivity".....its really up to the doctor if they'll sign it for the given reason.
Great point! Forgot about this.