GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's Talk about Window Tint

xmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone with Crystalline on the windshield wear polarized sunglasses? If so, how's dealing with the whole rainbow effect?

I had crystalline 70/50 (front/rear half) installed back in October, and when I look out the windows, I get the sometimes-annoying rainbow effect. Idk if it's better or worse with the windshield being at a different angle, so I've held off on adding windshield tint.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I wear Polarized sunglasses and I do see a very slight rainbow effect through the tint, ya. It was a little strange at first, but I only really can notice it in when there's sky showing. Objects/cars on the road don't tend to show it much at all.

Compared to the 50% I have on the sides, the 70% is not as obvious of an effect, either. Given the heat and glare benefits of the tint I find it's an acceptable trade-off.

dicanns

I also much prefer an even tint so I got 50% FormulaOne on the four doors and 35% in the back. I actually prefer the look of 35% all around but I mostly drive in the city and don't feel comfortable with these levels when driving at night with lots of pedestrian and bike traffic.

nofuiyo

Passed Driver's Ed
I have F1 Pinnacle 40 front, rear and hatch.. on the windshield I have Llumar Air Blue 80.. i am very satisfied with the F1; it really blocks heat. The Air Blue 80 does not feel as strong blocking the heat as the F1 does, but it is waaay better than having nothing. I paid $370 for the sides and hatch and $125 for windshield. When I was gg to pay she gave me a 10% discount for loyal customer (even though that was my first time there[emoji1362]). The 3M Crystalline and Spectra PhotoSync were waaaay too out of my price range with probably very similar results as the F1. All in all, I am very happy with my tint[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
too bad you can't do windshield tint in your state. Neither can I. But I did.

Your windshield is the closest to horizontal glass on your car, with a large expanse of dark plastic to absorb heat directly beneath it.

I live in FL and I did my tint in stages. First I did llumar air 80 blue on the windshield with a limo strip at the top. Big difference but decided to keep going and did the entire car with air 80.

I also did weathertech door visors to vent the car when parked.

Finally, if you have obdeleven, do the hot climate ac settings tweak. Very worth it.

Mcdubs417

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm looking to tint out my black GTI. Love the look of a tinted black car with gunmetal wheels. Unfortunately, my state allows anything on the back windows and rear, but nothing on the front windows. I'm really toying with the idea of just doing the fronts, but here any amount can trigger getting pulled over (a lot different then having 20% when your state's limit is 35%). Not a big fan of the disparity between the front and back, but I either have my golf gear or my ski gear in the back and tinting out the back would make me feel better about my car not getting broken into. I've thought about trying to get a doctor's note, but I'm pretty sure eye issues won't cut it, would need to have a history of skin cancer or something. Pretty strict around here I'm finding out. Anyway, I'm going back and forth, so figured I'd throw this out there to see what opinions you all have.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
If it matters at all in va the front isn't allowed to be anything darker then 50 but i still have 35 and have seen many others even darker and this is for a state that is strict with driving laws. They won't pull you over for just tint, you have to be really messing up bad here

nate704

Go Kart Champion
If it matters at all in va the front isn't allowed to be anything darker then 50 but i still have 35 and have seen many others even darker and this is for a state that is strict with driving laws. They won't pull you over for just tint, you have to be really messing up bad here

I guess it depends on the situation and location. My corworker got a ticket for his tint (yes, he got pulled over just for the tint). So, it's up to who, when, where, how, and so on. You will probably get a ticket for a tint if you get pulled over for something else.

Mcdubs417

Passed Driver's Ed

Getting pulled over isn’t a huge concern, cops are pretty laid back. I pull the apologetic “didn’t know I was breaking the law” card and have only received warnings since moving here 6 years ago. The problem is I would fail my inspection, which is a concern of mine. Was considering going real dark on the trunk then a bit mild on the sides to help ease into the disparity a bit, but a part of me just wants 20% all around (exept for the front sides). Could always just go tintless as well...

Last edited:

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
not sure how the gti is at night being hatchback but my focus hatchback isn't tinted and it is blinding when cars are behind me.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Heh, at the cruise I went to last weekend, there was a passat with basically blacked out tint on everything and around 50% windshield. No idea how he drove the car at night.

I'm 35% on everything with no windshield tint, and feel that it's enough.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I had a kid who worked for me with very illegal 20% including the windshield. He wrecked his car on his way home once night (I wonder why).

I'm happy with my 35%. Still illegal in my state as you can't have anything but it hasn't drawn attention yet and I like how it looks.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Had 35%, was too light for me. Got it re-done 20% all around. Will never go back. Great during the summer and on the roads at night.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
I've driven with 20%, you are definitely limited in sight without many lights around.

I got crystalline 50% on my car. It's a tint that is light but also rejects heat as well as dark tints (if not better, but you can look it up).

Also CA allows only 70% on front windows. I believe 50% is light enough that they won't care, but crossing my fingers!

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I've driven with 20%, you are definitely limited in sight without many lights around.

I got crystalline 50% on my car. It's a tint that is light but also rejects heat as well as dark tints (if not better, but you can look it up).

Also CA allows only 70% on front windows. I believe 50% is light enough that they won't care, but crossing my fingers!

I’ve had 15% for 6 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk