GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for more turbo sounds

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Idk I have heard dsg cars vent with spacers installed. Granted it’s not as drastic.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Open intake should be about as much as you are going to get. TMD is v. subtle..not even sure it makes any difference TBH. A DV spacer will amplify the psshhhhh noise when the DV opens when you get off the throttle abruptly.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
A good IC will cover up the hotter air intake but the turbo has to work harder to meet PUT setpoint, compare WG act. % between open and cold intake under same conditions.
When the new clutch is in, I’ll run some logs with both intakes back to back so we can see how big or little the effect on the WG % when the car is moving in a real world environment.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Open intake
turbo inlet pipe helps marginally but is actually the main way to actually gain some power
turbo muffler delete helps marginally
remove hood liner
remove rubber cowl strip
turn off or remove soundaktor
intercooler/charge pipes (metal vs plastic that muffles sound)

get a tune that makes you make more boost and hence a LOT more turbo noise
Thanks for the info

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You want more turbo noise? Save for a bigger turbo.

This route you're about to go down... intake, muffler delete, GFB Diverter+, BOV.... all a huge waste of money. Soon enough you'll be down a grand and the only modification you have that's going to make a difference is the air intake you purchased, which will be relevant around 400HP.

I am very interested in the Injen Evolution intake you purchased though, does anyone happen to have IATs before and after on this thing?
My buddy had the numbers. He straight up said temps were identical to stock

tigeo

Autocross Champion
When the new clutch is in, I’ll run some logs with both intakes back to back so we can see how big or little the effect on the WG % when the car is moving in a real world environment.
Www.mygolfmk7.com has the data on his most recent post.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Www.mygolfmk7.com has the data on his most recent post.
Nice, it will be interesting to see how a open intake designed to be open and not a hack closed system behaves.

one question that comes up is if the wastegate duty is based on the PUT sensor reading if you have an efficient IC I don’t see how the extra temp before the IC will effect it.

also my setup should have different results anyways cause my IAT don’t rise on the top of pulls.

9E452696-0DF7-4C3D-9D89-6DE7C2B31B2F.jpeg

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I hear a distinct turbo whine under light load, since upgrading the engine mounts. On heavy throttle, the exhaust drowns it out. Never heard anything but intake noise with an open intake.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Nice, it will be interesting to see how a open intake designed to be open and not a hack closed system behaves.

one question that comes up is if the wastegate duty is based on the PUT sensor reading if you have an efficient IC I don’t see how the extra temp before the IC will effect it.

also my setup should have different results anyways cause my IAT don’t rise on the top of pulls.

View attachment 186403
Oh wow. Didn’t think about that. A larger intercooler would offset negatives from an open intake design.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Large open element intake is your best bet for the noise. I personally have the original IE piece and it makes all the sucky and wishy sounds. TIP, not really, TMD, that’s a placebo mod, it does nothing. I bought it because I had a desire to buy something cheap and fiddle with the car. Nothing changed, at all.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh wow. Didn’t think about that. A larger intercooler would offset negatives from an open intake design.
His data show it - IATs are basically the same. So....the turbo works *a little* harder with the warmer/less dense air is how I interpret it.