GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Macan Brembo owners who track their Golf, pls weigh in.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I know this is an old thread but I just tracked these this week with Raybestos ST-43 up front and Powerstop Track Day spec on the rears. I think I either bed these in wrong or am using the wrong fluid but after about half way in my first session, I must have overheated something because I got pretty bad front vibrations only during braking for the rest of my two HPDE days, got better as the days went on but still very noticeable. Also got some brake fade at end of sessions with ATE200 fluid, RS3 deflectors and heavily trimmed dust shields. I use Powerstop Z26 on the same rotors for the street and think my issue is not using a dedicated rotor set so the existing material is probably screwing up the race pad.

As far as the initial pedal feel of the calipers, after first install and bleed it was pretty loose but then driving them on the street for 2 weeks and doing another power bleed, pedal feels firm along with the typical OBD11 tweaks. No RRG or RPV used, just SS lines and the Zimmerman blanks. On track, the pedal was firm for the 1/2 half of sessions and bite was almost immediate.

From a track perspective coming from PP brakes and Ferodo DS2500, these definitely had the bite I'm looking for but with the heavy front vibrations and stuff it still isn't confidence inspiring. Not sure if getting 2-piece rotors and/or Motul 660 fluid would help in those regards from a cooling perspective. Most likely I'll just get new front rotors dedicated to the Raybestos and bed them in again very specifically to spec as this is now hindering consistent lap times at the track and just want a solid/stable brake experience.

The soft pedal was almost 100% likely cause by fluid boiling.

The vibration was overheating the pads and getting deposits on the rotors.

If your going to swap pads and use same rotor, you really need to use pads with similar materials used. You can't use a ceramic pad on street, then just swap to a semi metallic track pad on the same rotors.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
The soft pedal was almost 100% likely cause by fluid boiling.

The vibration was overheating the pads and getting deposits on the rotors.

If your going to swap pads and use same rotor, you really need to use pads with similar materials used. You can't use a ceramic pad on street, then just swap to a semi metallic track pad on the same rotors.

Yep lesson learned on that one and I used a dedicated track rotor set on my PP calipers but was stubborn with the easy pad switch on the Macan Brembos to think I could use one set. Realistically it is just two more hanger bolts to get the rotors off so just me trying to save a buck for some reason.

I'll get new rotors from FCPeuro and re-bed them in as separate sets. Question I'm trying to figure out is if getting nicer 2-piece rotors like the ECS 345x30 2-piece with directional veining will make a real difference in cooling compared to just dedicated Zimmerman blanks. Will definitely change out to higher temp fluid also so Motul 660 it is. Hopefully in the spring I'll have this all sorted out because the car was performing well but brakes were not consistent enough for reasons stated.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yep lesson learned on that one and I used a dedicated track rotor set on my PP calipers but was stubborn with the easy pad switch on the Macan Brembos to think I could use one set. Realistically it is just two more hanger bolts to get the rotors off so just me trying to save a buck for some reason.

I'll get new rotors from FCPeuro and re-bed them in as separate sets. Question I'm trying to figure out is if getting nicer 2-piece rotors like the ECS 345x30 2-piece with directional veining will make a real difference in cooling compared to just dedicated Zimmerman blanks. Will definitely change out to higher temp fluid also so Motul 660 it is. Hopefully in the spring I'll have this all sorted out because the car was performing well but brakes were not consistent enough for reasons stated.

I'd find a street and track compound that are compatible instead, but in a lazy fuck, so there's that. Lol

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I'd find a street and track compound that are compatible instead, but in a lazy fuck, so there's that. Lol
Haha I don't mind having two sets of rotors, just want this to feel good braking so I don't regret just paying up for an ST-40 Stoptech BBK. Raybestos has an autox/street pad but I can't find them selling it in the 1001 shape for the Macans so I'd rather just do the swaps for track days and keep the decent Z26s for autoX/street and the ST-43s as dedicated for track.

Thoughts on the 2-piece rotors instead of blanks? That's what I really need to figure out since a set of 2-piece are ~$650 and the Zimmerman blanks are about $150 and from FCPeuro (aka free). Not sure real world how much slotted/veined/2-piece really makes up compared to blanks on these lighter cars.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I
Haha I don't mind having two sets of rotors, just want this to feel good braking so I don't regret just paying up for an ST-40 Stoptech BBK. Raybestos has an autox/street pad but I can't find them selling it in the 1001 shape for the Macans so I'd rather just do the swaps for track days and keep the decent Z26s for autoX/street and the ST-43s as dedicated for track.

Thoughts on the 2-piece rotors instead of blanks? That's what I really need to figure out since a set of 2-piece are ~$650 and the Zimmerman blanks are about $150 and from FCPeuro (aka free). Not sure real world how much slotted/veined/2-piece really makes up compared to blanks on these lighter cars.

I had a track day recently with a friend in a GTI setup similar to mine and we were running similar lap times. He’s running ST40 with Pagid RSL29s and I’m running Macan with DS2500s and Zimmerman blanks. We sampled rotor temps after a session, his were 320F and mine were 520F. Not sure if that’s all down to the 2-peice system on the Stoptech kits but it definitely contributed.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I had a track day recently with a friend in a GTI setup similar to mine and we were running similar lap times. He’s running ST40 with Pagid RSL29s and I’m running Macan with DS2500s and Zimmerman blanks. We sampled rotor temps after a session, his were 320F and mine were 520F. Not sure if that’s all down to the 2-peice system on the Stoptech kits but it definitely contributed.

Interesting thanks for the data point, that's a pretty big delta and can't imagine the calipers are the real differentiator but the rotor itself and Stoptech makes a big deal about how they vein their 2-piece. Looks like the ST-40 uses a small/large piston setup but again probably negligible for heat management.

From a price perspective though, you basically have a free setup through FCPeuro for those parts which is hard to beat. Assume you didn't drive his car to compare brake feel or anything?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Interesting thanks for the data point, that's a pretty big delta and can't imagine the calipers are the real differentiator but the rotor itself and Stoptech makes a big deal about how they vein their 2-piece. Looks like the ST-40 uses a small/large piston setup but again probably negligible for heat management.

From a price perspective though, you basically have a free setup through FCPeuro for those parts which is hard to beat. Assume you didn't drive his car to compare brake feel or anything?
I did not, but he actually had the Macan kit briefly before switching to ST40 and commented that the ST40s felt better if I recall correctly.

I order both the pads and rotors through FCP Euro so yea basically free replacements for both. Tough to beat.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
That was me with Will at Sonoma. I had Stoptech BBK on a previous Porsche and was very happy with it then. When I decided to convert my Mk7 to track use, I ordered the Stoptech ST40 BBK. Backlog was several months so I ordered the Macan calipers for the interim. As others have noted, I found the Macans to be rather soft (even though I had put lubricant on them and bled them several times - this isn't my first time at this rodeo). As Will mentioned, I now have the Stoptechs on and couldn't be happier with them.
They were so much stronger than the Macans that Will used his OBDeleven to dial the brake boost down. I've had several track days with them now and the pedal remains high and firm.
Yes, they are more expensive - that's a personal choice. And from previous experience, I expect to recoup half the cost when I'm done with them. But I know I'll never worry about fade or boiling the fluid.
Bern

BTW, the improved cooling comes for both the additional surface area (larger diameter) and from an open back near the hub that allows air to be sucked in by the centrifugal effect within the vanes. And there's substantial reduction in unsprung weight.

Last edited:

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
That was me with Will at Sonoma. I had Stoptech BBK on a previous Porsche and was very happy with it then. When I decided to convert my Mk7 to track use, I ordered the Stoptech ST40 BBK. Backlog was several months so I ordered the Macan calipers for the interim. As others have noted, I found the Macans to be rather soft (even though I had put lubricant on them and bled them several times - this isn't my first time at this rodeo). As Will mentioned, I now have the Stoptechs on and couldn't be happier with them.
They were so much stronger than the Macans that Will used his OBDeleven to dial the brake boost down. I've had several track days with them now and the pedal remains high and firm.
Yes, they are more expensive - that's a personal choice. And from previous experience, I expect to recoup half the cost when I'm done with them. But I know I'll never worry about fade or boiling the fluid.
Bern

BTW, the improved cooling comes for both the additional surface area (larger diameter) and from an open back near the hub that allows air to be sucked in by the centrifugal effect within the vanes. And there's substantial reduction in unsprung weight.
Thanks for the comments, sounds like you've got the 355mm version? I've got 17" so would have to use 328mm. Also the cooling items seem to be more reflective of the rotor than the caliper so a good 2-piece floating rotor with the Macan calipers should have similar benefits, right? Just playing devils advocate.

The resell point is well taken. I almost want to be the guinea pig to push the Macans with a good rotor setup from neuspeed/ecs to have a larger rotor setup still $1k less. The caliper and piston layouts are similar enough. I'm sure the ST will feel better but with proper cooling on the Macans I have faith in their performance.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the comments, sounds like you've got the 355mm version? I've got 17" so would have to use 328mm. Also the cooling items seem to be more reflective of the rotor than the caliper so a good 2-piece floating rotor with the Macan calipers should have similar benefits, right? Just playing devils advocate.

The resell point is well taken. I almost want to be the guinea pig to push the Macans with a good rotor setup from neuspeed/ecs to have a larger rotor setup still $1k less. The caliper and piston layouts are similar enough. I'm sure the ST will feel better but with proper cooling on the Macans I have faith in their performance.

The issue with adding 2 piece rotors to the Macan set up is that now you're at the price point that you should have just bought a real BBK.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
The issue with adding 2 piece rotors to the Macan set up is that now you're at the price point that you should have just bought a real BBK.
And if you're having any issue with pedal firmness, travel, it's still there.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
With good fluid and proper track pads, if the Macan setup isn't enough brake for you, still it and get a real BBK.

The Macan setup is better than PP, but it isn't a dedicated track setup. That's what you get for the money though.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
hey guys, just got back from Laguna Seca today.

I got a new PB with the Macan's and I'm happy to say that my car is about 2.5 seconds faster.
These are the only real differences from my previous best set in Jan 30, 2021:
- Tires are now 30% remaining (same set of A052's that were brand new in Jan), less grip than before.
- Clubsport S knuckles, no alignment done but I'm guessing it has the advertised 0.8 degree more camber than it had before
- Macan caliper with R4 pads vs EBC blues on PP brakes. 0.3mm titanium shims
- RBF600 instead of RBF660 before
- No power upgrades and no suspension changes not listed here.
- I can now confidently full throttle through turn 1 without fear of fade and running off.
- Temperature is about the same

On track, the pedal IS higher and engagement is a bit softer than PP, but there is NO fade, No boiling coolant, and I brake hard and I brake late.

I am not happy with the pedal but it did not at all prevent me from doing well on the track. I cannot comment about the modulation as I was regularly kicking in the ABS so it was modulating for me as I'm traction / tire limited.

I have no desire for more braking ability.

1638678653859.jpeg1638678730666.png

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
hey guys, just got back from Laguna Seca today.

I got a new PB with the Macan's and I'm happy to say that my car is about 2.5 seconds faster.
These are the only real differences from my previous best set in Jan 30, 2021:
- Tires are now 30% remaining (same set of A052's that were brand new in Jan), less grip than before.
- Clubsport S knuckles, no alignment done but I'm guessing it has the advertised 0.8 degree more camber than it had before
- Macan caliper with R4 pads vs EBC blues on PP brakes. 0.3mm titanium shims
- RBF600 instead of RBF660 before
- No power upgrades and no suspension changes not listed here.
- I can now confidently full throttle through turn 1 without fear of fade and running off.
- Temperature is about the same

On track, the pedal IS higher and engagement is a bit softer than PP, but there is NO fade, No boiling coolant, and I brake hard and I brake late.

I am not happy with the pedal but it did not at all prevent me from doing well on the track. I cannot comment about the modulation as I was regularly kicking in the ABS so it was modulating for me as I'm traction / tire limited.

I have no desire for more braking ability.

View attachment 232054View attachment 232055

Did you do the OBD11 settings?

I'm also wondering if we might be able to use the ABS module from the mk8, it's supposed to give better pedal feel.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Did you do the OBD11 settings?

I'm also wondering if we might be able to use the ABS module from the mk8, it's supposed to give better pedal feel.
I did the 3 adaptations while my car was still running the PP brakes for the first Laguna Seca event. Pedal is consistently lower engagement than PP, but given the performance (and the looks), I am still very happy with the outcome.

I had pressure bled it twice, and got the help of a friend to 2-man pedal bleed it as well.