GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MBA Advice

glory

Ready to race!
I was talking to my bosses at work today (I'm an engineer in training at a consulting engineering firm) and we got to talking about how I could go for an mba to help advance my career. Has anyone done an mba? I don't know much about it but that's it's more of a management type course (for lack of better description). Is it worthwhile? What are the courses like? When should one go for it, after 5+ years experience or whenever?

Never thought of doing an mba til now, any discussion on the topic is welcome.

Sent from the White north with magic

FNR32

Ready to race!
YMMV. In my experience, getting a MBA from anywhere other than a top 10 business school is a waste of time for almost anyone. Now, a MSE is a different story all together. Getting a MBA certainly won't hurt you, but im not sure how much it will help, if any.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm gonna make this simple. As an engineer.......no.

Experience is key in our field. Frankly, if I see a resume with a masters and no experience, it would be very very hard pressed for us to choose the individual over a more highly skilled experienced worker.

There are some things you just cannot teach in this field. The problem solving logic, the resource knowledge, and application and documentation are just beyond what any masters program can teach anyone. Especially the details for the actual company you work for. I had to learn more about how Honda operated in my first year than anything else.

I'm more than happy to talk with you if you have any questions.

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
YMMV. In my experience, getting a MBA from anywhere other than a top 10 business school is a waste of time for almost anyone. Now, a MSE is a different story all together. Getting a MBA certainly won't hurt you, but im not sure how much it will help, if any.

This statement is definitely not the case; take it from a hiring manager's point of view with years of experience as well. If you want to work and can't afford to go back to school full-time, pursue an MBA on a part-time basis from a non-online AACSB accredited school from at least the top 75. I did mine on a part-time basis from a reputable school in Virginia and I do not regret it! You will learn many useful tools which may be applied to work in far more areas than you believe.

MBA programs have different tracks too, so it will not be all about management, i.e. finance, entrepreneurship, IS, economics, real estate, marketing, international commerce/finance, business law (some graduate schools have JD/MBA joint degree programs), and more. The point being is that you can also cater the program to fit what your actually more interested in, rather than just management.

Getting an MBA will always help you; do choose the right school for you that has a good curriculum, good professors, good funding, good reputation, has the AACSB accreditation, great learning/classroom facilities, and involvement in the community, i.e., alumni programs and associations. Be sure to also visit the school as well.

My other recommendation is to get at least five years of experience before pursuing an MBA from a graduate school.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
This statement is definitely not the case; take it from a hiring manager's point of view with years of experience as well. If you want to work and can't afford to go back to school full-time, pursue an MBA on a part-time basis from a non-online AACSB accredited school from at least the top 75. I did mine on a part-time basis from a reputable school in Virginia and I do not regret it! You will learn many useful tools which may be applied to work in far more areas than you believe.

MBA programs have different tracks too, so it will not be all about management, i.e. finance, entrepreneurship, IS, economics, real estate, marketing, international commerce/finance, business law (some graduate schools have JD/MBA joint degree programs), and more. The point being is that you can also cater the program to fit what your actually more interested in, rather than just management.

Getting an MBA will always help you; do choose the right school for you that has a good curriculum, good professors, good funding, good reputation, has the AACSB accreditation, great learning/classroom facilities, and involvement in the community, i.e., alumni programs and associations. Be sure to also visit the school as well.

My other recommendation is to get at least five years of experience before pursuing an MBA from a graduate school.

This is some really good info! I was also. Thinking about getting an MBA so this is very helpful. My father got his from a reputable school in Oklahoma and is now an executive director or quality. He had about 8-9 years experience before getting his masters.

OP, I am not sure about your field being engineering however. More education can never hurt, but I'm unsure of the benefits in your field:iono:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'll never spend more than $50K on an MBA.. if that. fuck that noise.. shit's gotten almost as popular as being a lawyer...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Degrees in general have.

nik

Go Kart Champion
This is going to be a long one..be warned!!!

I was in the same boat as you. I just joined up for my MBA last September after 5 years. I did manufacturing engineering for my undergrad, and pretty much left the profession out of a bit of luck and necessity 3 years ago (plant closure and job offer in supply chain within the company).

I didn't see my career advancing at that point, and I needed a change of pace. I had the MBA or M.Eng in my sights for some time, but I figured MBA is the right path for me, especially since I wanted to do a career change at the time into supply chain management. I ended up going the CMA/MBA route since I liked accounting a lot. But CMA gives you strategy, management and accounting (sales pitch I know), rather than being just a "bean counter".

Some of it may be a repeat (i.e. operations management courses) depending on what type of engineering you've taken, but overall I find it a great experience. You get to deal with personalities of different types (good and bad), and you get to develop your management style without getting the can.

My advice:

Check out the schools and see what specializations they offer. I would suggest going in with an open mind, because you never know if you like health management or something random, and decide to go into that specialization.

Even though it's tough (and believe me, I hate not having a pay cheque! even though I've saved up enough to keep me good for 2 years) I would highly suggest going full time for the most benefit. I've had part timers tell me this so it must have some merit.

If you want to know more, feel free to PM me and we can exchange e-mails.

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
The MBA degree is what you make of it!!!

Do not feel like you need to have it just to have it. It will help your career, it will give you useful tools to make you more effective, productive and resourceful at work if you put it to use. If you want the degree just to say you have it and take a laissez faire approach to education, then this graduate degree is not for you!

Shini

Go Kart Champion
But this is necessary, right? There are only so many non-degree having job that pay enough money to live on, correct?

Not really. I'm in an entry level job at AT&T, a job that you need only a high school diploma a good attitude, and a smile to get, and I'm making more and have better benefits than my mother who went to school and got her bachelors, and graduated summa cum laude.

Degree's are good in specialized fields, like medical, law, etc. Anything else though, experience is the growing trend. My wife recently graduated and can't find didly because no experience, and when she looks for things that don't require a degree just to have SOMETHING, they don't higher because she's over qualified.

There's actually a lot of girls in the office right now going for their MBA becuase 1 guy got promoted quicker than others because he had a degree, he seemed like management type from the start though, dress for the job you want type guy, just made sense. Everyone else though in management? 0 Degree's.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
But this is necessary, right? There are only so many non-degree having job that pay enough money to live on, correct?

Necessary? .........That's up to whoever thinks its important to get the job they want. Mine was NECESSARY for my profession. However, others have gotten here based on experience (15years).

I think that there is a HUGE misconception that a degree will get you an immediate job in certain fields. This has sort of migrated since the 90s. Honestly, even in the engineering field and ESPECIALLY where I work.......we require some sort of co-op or internship (preferably 1 year experience minimum) before we even consider an interview.

For the topic at hand, many guys here debate getting masters degrees based off the fact they really don't do anything here. You move up based off of technical skill level, experience, and/or job changes, not JUST because you have a certain degree. Heck, the guy sitting across from me has a biology degree and knows more about Honda than I do.

Then: I need a 4 year degree to get a good paying job.
Now: I need a 4 year degree + Masters (and/or Experience) to get a good job.
Soon: I need a PHD For consideration
Future: China will invade and it wont matter. We will all be doing labor jobs and/or be killed :)

nik

Go Kart Champion
What some of the previous posters have said. The three letters don't get the Champaign flowing. You earn it yourself.

I also know some guys with a high school diploma who are doing better than I do financially speaking. So yeah anything is possible. Heck in my last job I was doing the same job as 2 MBAs with only an undergrad degree. But I still wanted to do it.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

You're right but it's an unfortunate truth IMO. I think degrees are waaaay over emphasized in this country. I mean, I graduated from U. of Miami two years ago, I have a fresh perspective. It's considered a "top 50" school and honestly so many of the kids I went to school with were utter morons. Their parents blew like $150k for them to party for four years and then come home and work at Starbucks. So many degrees are useless. There is a social stigma around not having a degree and so every family thinks their average kid needs one. They could make fine money going to community college and learning a trade or something. Many advanced manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US and those are nothing to be ashamed of having and pay well.

OP, do you like engineering? Typically, a few years experience is worth more than an advanced degree in the field, grambles post is on point IMO. If you'd rather transistion into more of the business side, a combo of undergraduate engineering and an MBA is a good one I'm told.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You're right but it's an unfortunate truth IMO. I think degrees are waaaay over emphasized in this country. I mean, I graduated from U. of Miami two years ago, I have a fresh perspective. It's considered a "top 50" school and honestly so many of the kids I went to school with were utter morons. Their parents blew like $150k for them to party for four years and then come home and work at Starbucks. So many degrees are useless. There is a social stigma around not having a degree and so every family thinks their average kid needs one. They could make fine money going to community college and learning a trade or something. Many advanced manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US and those are nothing to be ashamed of having and pay well.

ding ding ding ding^, we have a winner....:clap: