GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mini Cooper

zrickety

The Fixer
We bought the wife an 09 Mini Cooper S for driving to work. It's a fun little car with 94k. Coincidentally, they also have timing chain tensioner and water pump issues. BMW/Mini just recently decided to recall affected cars, so ours goes in next week for almost $3k worth of repairs. I didn't expect the car to be covered, pretty awesome. From what I've read, most cars need new timing chains and guides too, they replace it all. I was ready to put in an updated tensioner (which just screws in from outside the engine!) but am going to let them go the extra mile. I'll get a loaner for 2 days while they do the work. I know tensioner failure is rare on our cars, but it sure would be nice if VW stepped up like this.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
would be nice if they made a belt to chain retrofit for the TDI guys... I don't like Belts, and I don't care if my Diesel is noisey... Chains last and are a bit noisier...

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Aside from that, reliability wise, @ 94K the mini still shines?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
FYI, after they complete the recall work, do 5k oil changes, if you're not already.

The long factory recommended oil change intervals are one part of the reason why these cars are seeing premature timing chain tensioner and chain failures, amongst other issues.

chad13761

Ready to race!
Great news, since we just recently bought an '07 MCS with 55k miles. After I saw this, my wife called the local dealer. They're going to do the timing chain tensioner, turbo heat shield and water pump under recall. I guess we'll find out if the chain/chain guide is still good, or if that will be addressed also.

Funny - this thread is more informative than the cluster-f of conflicting information over at the Mini forums (North American Motoring)

Thanks for the post.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Great news, since we just recently bought an '07 MCS with 55k miles. After I saw this, my wife called the local dealer. Their going to do the timing chain tensioner, turbo heat shield and water pump under recall.

Funny - this thread is more informative than the cluster-f of conflicting information over at the Mini forums (North American Motoring)

Thanks for the post.

Enjoy the car, they're a ton of fun. :thumbsup:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
We bought the wife an 09 Mini Cooper S for driving to work. It's a fun little car with 94k. Coincidentally, they also have timing chain tensioner and water pump issues. BMW/Mini just recently decided to recall affected cars, so ours goes in next week for almost $3k worth of repairs. I didn't expect the car to be covered, pretty awesome. From what I've read, most cars need new timing chains and guides too, they replace it all. I was ready to put in an updated tensioner (which just screws in from outside the engine!) but am going to let them go the extra mile. I'll get a loaner for 2 days while they do the work. I know tensioner failure is rare on our cars, but it sure would be nice if VW stepped up like this.

Holy crap 09 with 94k?! Someone drove the piss out of that car. That said BMW was super reluctant about the fix... glad they are finally stepping up.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Holy crap 09 with 94k?! Someone drove the piss out of that car. That said BMW was super reluctant about the fix... glad they are finally stepping up.

Thats only average of under 19,000 mile a year. Its 2014 boss, 09 probably came out late 08'...car is 5+ years old. Still a decent amount of miles though probably highway which is even better for car than city.

chad13761

Ready to race!
Follow up:

My wife took the car in today, they did the tensioner and chain, inspected the oil pan for debris (with obvious oil change), and added a small heat shield on the turbo oil line. All under recall (Free).

I'm anxious to hear the car tomorrow morning to see if the cold start "death rattle" is gone.

Merkle

Banned
FYI, after they complete the recall work, do 5k oil changes, if you're not already.

The long factory recommended oil change intervals are one part of the reason why these cars are seeing premature timing chain tensioner and chain failures, amongst other issues.

Bingo!

Keep good oil in the engine and that chair will never give you problems.

Smokey73

Passed Driver's Ed
Great news, since we just recently bought an '07 MCS with 55k miles. After I saw this, my wife called the local dealer. They're going to do the timing chain tensioner, turbo heat shield and water pump under recall. I guess we'll find out if the chain/chain guide is still good, or if that will be addressed also.

Thanks for the post.

Skip NAM and go to Motoring Alliance.

I'd love a MINI Cooper S, but I don't have any confidence in the longevity of a PEUGEOT 1.6 Turbo motor.

And yes, the motor in a 2006-2013 (2nd gen modern era) Mini is a Peugeot engine.

The new gen uses a BMW designed motor. If only the car weren't so fugly in pictures.