GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MISFIRE

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did you get a compression test yet?
Set up an appointment Saturday to have it looked over. Crossing my fingers but expecting the worst. Dunno if it’s just bad luck or the car was ran hard before I got it 3 years ago. Not even tuned beyond a nuespeed module, and intake that I installed right after I got it. Failure didn’t happen on “track day” or under heavy driving… I was going 35 in traffic. Bummed. Gives me an excuse to do a stupid build like I want to, just wasn’t the plan.

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Not always the case, have seen several from the EA888 engine builders group post clean cylinder wall pictures after teardown.

Edit: Went for a quick look for pictures but to lazy to get to the ones I was thinking of but this piston did apparently not damage the cylinder.
I can only hope I’m this lucky

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Any updates here?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No compression in cylinder 2. On the fence about rebuild or replace. Any advice on a good place to find a replacement engine?
A friend of mine got a low mileage engine at a salvage yard for $1500.

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just a neuspeed module? Yeah I’d say it was abused prior to your ownership. I wonder if it wasn’t still tuned and you unknowingly stacked the neuspeed on top of it.
Very possible. Bought it from Carmax two years ago. Body and interior were like new and it ran great. I found signs of other mods when removing the stock intake and it definitely moved fast….when it still moved. But I never ripped on it so I can only assume the damage was done already and I’m just the lucky guy holding it now.
Having a hell of a time finding an engine. Seems like the best option right now is to pull it and rebuild. Already been warned about difficulty even finding replacement parts. Won’t know the extent of the damage until I get into it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Very possible. Bought it from Carmax two years ago. Body and interior were like new and it ran great. I found signs of other mods when removing the stock intake and it definitely moved fast….when it still moved. But I never ripped on it so I can only assume the damage was done already and I’m just the lucky guy holding it now.
Having a hell of a time finding an engine. Seems like the best option right now is to pull it and rebuild. Already been warned about difficulty even finding replacement parts. Won’t know the extent of the damage until I get into it.
Have you checked salvage yards?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
how much was a quote for a rebuild? Isn't there a way to contact main tuner companies and provide them your VIN# and they can tell you if the vehicle has/had a tune on it? I know its to late, but maybe need to be flashed back to stock to prevent it from happening again?

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
how much was a quote for a rebuild? Isn't there a way to contact main tuner companies and provide them your VIN# and they can tell you if the vehicle has/had a tune on it? I know its to late, but maybe need to be flashed back to stock to prevent it from happening again?
There’s no quote, I’m doing it. Finding out about the tune and flashing it back is logical, I’ll check into that. I may also just build the shit out of it and give it all the HP it can handle.