GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MISFIRE

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Update… engine pulled and disassembled. Piston #2 failed and the rings came off. One tiny score mark in the wall. Looks like it can be honed out. Apparently some of these early stock pistons were just junk. Super lucky this is all that’s wrong obviously. Planning to replace with CTS pistons unless someone here has strong opinion on another option.

Attachments

• 79CA806A-66E7-408D-82B6-B3A8B3222BC1.jpeg
    79CA806A-66E7-408D-82B6-B3A8B3222BC1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • 9A4B9375-C3A4-4FD3-AA34-1C6E4739D00A.jpeg
    9A4B9375-C3A4-4FD3-AA34-1C6E4739D00A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • F4DD4E92-6C0A-4FB1-9BD2-55D5907936FB.jpeg
    F4DD4E92-6C0A-4FB1-9BD2-55D5907936FB.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 65
  • 1CCF0453-2B4A-4E21-8D13-FA939F5F4A77.jpeg
    1CCF0453-2B4A-4E21-8D13-FA939F5F4A77.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Might as well upgrade rods while in there.
Thanks Diggs
What else is actually worth it?
Shopping list…
Pistons
Rods
Timing chain kit
Gaskets
Everything needed to put it back together properly, Etc

Downpipe?
Upgrade turbo?
Never a better time with everything pulled from the engine bay.

*no chance I’m selling this thing now I have too much tied up in it. Not interested in being stupid and causing more issues, plus it’s intended to be more of a daily driver. Not a track car. But… while I’m in it…

Buddy who’s helping me specializes in transmission service, so he suggested I go ahead and put a new DSG clutch in while it’s all apart.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks Diggs
What else is actually worth it?
Shopping list…
Pistons
Rods
Timing chain kit
Gaskets
Everything needed to put it back together properly, Etc

Downpipe?
Upgrade turbo?
Never a better time with everything pulled from the engine bay.

*no chance I’m selling this thing now I have too much tied up in it. Not interested in being stupid and causing more issues, plus it’s intended to be more of a daily driver. Not a track car. But… while I’m in it…

Buddy who’s helping me specializes in transmission service, so he suggested I go ahead and put a new DSG clutch in while it’s all apart.
Check out JerseyDrew's build thread for suggestions.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...s-2016-gti-s-build-a-k-a-jersey-devil.378424/

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I’d suggest RMS if that ain’t part of “seals” but it probably is lol

I never liked the NSPM.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Update… engine pulled and disassembled. Piston #2 failed and the rings came off. One tiny score mark in the wall. Looks like it can be honed out. Apparently some of these early stock pistons were just junk. Super lucky this is all that’s wrong obviously. Planning to replace with CTS pistons unless someone here has strong opinion on another option.
If it can't be honed out and they need to bore it, make sure they do that to the rest of the cylinders. Ideally you want to keep the original size of 82.5mm but if need be, than no more than 83mm because the cylinder walls are pretty thin as is. For pistons, I went with the MAHLE performance pack pistons but JE pistons are pretty good also, which are the pistons that CTS offers.

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
If it can't be honed out and they need to bore it, make sure they do that to the rest of the cylinders. Ideally you want to keep the original size of 82.5mm but if need be, than no more than 83mm because the cylinder walls are pretty thin as is. For pistons, I went with the MAHLE performance pack pistons but JE pistons are pretty good also, which are the pistons that CTS offers.
Thanks Jersey. Yes, definitely would like to stay 82.5 if possible. The walls in the other 3 are perfect and the damage/score in #2 is minimal. Honing will be done soon and then I’ll know more. The MAHLE pistons are another I was looking at so that is helpful.

French941

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Decided to go with the MAHLE pistons. If the most I do is is38 turbo, downpipe, intercooler, and stage 2 tune, should I go with H beam connecting rods with rifling or step up to I the beam? Thanks

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Decided to go with the MAHLE pistons. If the most I do is is38 turbo, downpipe, intercooler, and stage 2 tune, should I go with H beam connecting rods with rifling or step up to I the beam? Thanks
It depends on what your final goal is with your car/engine. Doing a mild engine build (pistons and rods) you should upgrade your turbo to something bigger than the IS38. The H- or I-beam design will work in most applications, however, if you’re building a high-boost application the I-beam is better. The reason being is the I-beam is a better rod when it’s under compression compared to an H-beam. If you overload an H-beam rod with compression, the blades along the H-beam shape will actually start to spread out.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
JerseyDrew thanks for the info. It there a turbo(s) you’d recommend to be a step above the is38?
The new Garrett stage 1
As Diggs mentioned, the Garrett stage 1 looks promising. I went with a hybrid, the DBV2 V2 journal bearing, but if those Garett turbos were available for our platform years ago when I got my turbo, I probably would have gone with the Garett.