GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 vs MK6

ADM

Hey guys, I know this has more then likely been brought up dozens of times already, but what are the major differences between the two? I will be buying a new car within a few months and have narrowed it down to a couple of cars, the GTI is my first choice since I have wanted one for a long time now. The only thing is, I really wanted a MK5 since came out, but I got an A4 instead, and now I want a GTI for sure, but I dont know if I should get the MK6 or the 5. I like the looks of the MK5 slightly more, and I know I can get a fully loaded late year model for cheaper then a base MK6, but I would rather have a new car. Anyway, what are your opinions on the two?

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Well, aside from styling (which is on the subjective side of things), the newer MK6 has a much better engine (though this same engine did come in the MKVs starting halfway through the 2008 model year if I'm not mistaken).

The updated engine allows for easier access to the oil filter, uses a timing chain instead of a belt, does away with the concerns previously associated with the cam follower, consumes less oil (if any) relative to the older FSI engine, comes with a higher spec high pressure fuel pump, etc. The air filter is also MUCH easier to access.

I'm sure others can chime in more (and correct me on anything I might have gotten wrong), but to me the biggest difference is with the engine. I'm under the impression that the newer TSI motor will lead to fewer headaches in the long run than the FSI.

I honestly used to like the look of the MKVs a lot more, but now that I'm in an MK6, I must say that it is one hell of a sharp-looking car.

hpowders

Ready to race!
A loaded MK6 has push button start. A loaded MK5 uses a key.

Well, aside from styling (which is on the subjective side of things), the newer MK6 has a much better engine (though this same engine did come in the MKVs starting halfway through the 2008 model year if I'm not mistaken).

The updated engine allows for easier access to the oil filter, uses a timing chain instead of a belt, does away with the concerns previously associated with the cam follower, consumes less oil (if any) relative to the older FSI engine, comes with a higher spec high pressure fuel pump, etc. The air filter is also MUCH easier to access.

I'm sure others can chime in more (and correct me on anything I might have gotten wrong), but to me the biggest difference is with the engine. I'm under the impression that the newer TSI motor will lead to fewer headaches in the long run than the FSI.

I honestly used to like the look of the MKVs a lot more, but now that I'm in an MK6, I must say that it is one hell of a sharp-looking car.

ya... this!

I am coming from an mk5 gti. I loved it, but it was a labor to change anything, and the anxiety I had about the cam follower was too real for suc ha newer car.

I had massive oil consumption headaches, $8 quarts suck. The major difference is the engine. The TSI is a smooth, great sounding, reliable motor, and is available in the mk5 2009 GTI, although first year teething problems may be rampant in the 2008.5 TSI motors.

The 2010 GTI has the XDS elsd system and although it feels odd, it helps tremendously during spirited corner carving.

Get a 2010... it is a better car overall... and the looks will age better than the already old mk5

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
If I recall from press statements, the MK6 is quieter due to the use of additional sound deadening and thicker glass.

potatohead

Ready to race!
I just find attention to detail is better in the VI. I had a V for four years, but the little things are nicer on the VI, even things people don't even notice such as the perforated leather on the steering wheel is now NOT where your hands are 90% of the time, and on the MkV, it was... So the holes got full of dead skin and dirt in two days. MkVI has much better radio (not sure about the base RCD-315, never seen one in person), Mk6 has much nicer plaid pattern to the cloth seats, XDS differential, much better looking gauges/MFD... I could go on.

This is all aside from the engine difference of course. Also, the MkVI is lower from the factory, except for the 2009 model MkV, which is the same. If you go with a MkV, just make sure it has the TSI engine which will be late 2008 or 2009 model year.

P

plac

The 09 has the TSI.. MK5 is better made than MK6. A lot of cost cutting came with the MK6 in small areas. I had 3 MK5 before my MK6. My 2009 was my best one. Old style seals with no squeaking problems. I also liked the MK5 look a hair more. If you like the look more, you gotta aim in that direction. The only possible drawbacks I can think of getting a MK5 would be the stereo meaning the crap 3 way speaker placement and no touch screen. If you can get a new or super low mile 2009 for a lot cheaper, you might look into it.

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
15 years from now, the MkV styling will be a classic (waterfall grill and round taillights), whereas the Mk6 will be more generic (this is not by chance, VW wanted a style that had broader appeal). If you can get a low-mileage MkV, I would jump on it. Another thing I've noticed is at higher speeds (> 80 MPH), the MkV is quieter than the Mk6 (less wind noise coming through). Remember, the MkV was so expensive to build, they had to put plastic (non-painted) lower sides and rear on it.

P

plac

15 years from now, the MkV styling will be a classic (waterfall grill and round taillights), whereas the Mk6 will be more generic (this is not by chance, VW wanted a style that had broader appeal). If you can get a low-mileage MkV, I would jump on it. Another thing I've noticed is at higher speeds (> 80 MPH), the MkV is quieter than the Mk6 (less wind noise coming through). Remember, the MkV was so expensive to build, they had to put plastic (non-painted) lower sides and rear on it.

agreed w above. i had the 2006 when no one had one. man was it fun driving around town getting the thumbs up from everyone. mainly cuz of all those funny commercials.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
MKV owner here, a few of my thoughts:

The only MKV comparable to a MKVI is the later TSI. I have a 09 MKV with the TSI and I think there is legitimate reason for comparison between it and a MKVI. If we're talking about an older MKV with that shitty FSI, it's not even a comparison. MKVI hands down just because that FSI will be a bitch in the long run.

Other notes:
Styling is completely subjective. I can't help you out on this because it is subjective.
MKV Indigo instruments>MKVI White instruments any fuggin day
MKV standard sound system sucks donkey dick. I don't know what the standard sound system is like in the MKVI but it better be fuggin better.
MKVI interior is probably better all around other than the instruments
MKV has more mods available, but not necessarily in terms of performance mods as they share the same engine (but the MKV does have a lot more mods in other areas like visual mods)

Honestly, (remember I'm a MKV owner), I would get a MKVI. The reason is that the only desirable MKV is the later years with the TSI, but the GTI has high resale value, so you won't find a 09 MKV for much less than a MKVI. Maybe it's just me, but if I have the choice between an older car and a newer car for only like $3000 more, the newer car is worth it. That's my conclusion. The MKVI is a more refined MKV. But I'm still waiting for a true new generation of the GTI and not a stupid mid-cycle facelift. MKVII FTW.

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
I just can't get past the MKV interior. It was "nice" at the time, but the Audi-esque MK6 interior is a joyous place in which to be. To be blunt: The MK5's rotary climate knobs make me wanna puke....

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think the MK6 interior just rapped the MK5. And since they "are the same car". then why not go for the better interior?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I find the gauges in the MKV extremely difficult to read. Those in the MK6 are clear and crisp day and night. Yeah, the blue is "cool" but I'd rather have the performance of legible gauges over "coolness".