GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 vs MK6

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I like the blue instrument panel of the MKV more than the white/red of the MKVI.

The main differences from what I understand, are:
-TSI engine in the 6 vs FSI engine in the earlier 5. The TSI is the better engine. Period.
-XDS electronic differential in the 6 helps put power down to the ground.
-6 has a nicer interior overall despite the gauge issue.
-I think I slightly prefer the styling of the 5... but they both look great.
-I think the 5 is a little quieter than the 6.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
-I think the 5 is a little quieter than the 6.

The 6 is quieter than the 5. As was posted earlier, the MK6 has thicker glass and additional sound deadening.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
ah ok, yeah i only had a little bit of seat time in the 5 and it was a while ago. I thought it made sense because I know they reduced manufacturing costs dramatically on the 6. Thanks for clearing that up though :)

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I believed the MKV is not a bad car, whether FSI or TSI, but it's not a secret that the FSI has issues people complaint about. For me the main reason to have waited for the MKVI was the XDS & interior. Although the V paved the road for the come back of the GTI into a market who craved a better performer.
There is nothing wrong with the V but i rather the MKVI..

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
I believed the MKV is not a bad car, whether FSI or TSI, but it's not a secret that the FSI has issues people complaint about. For me the main reason to have waited for the MKVI was the XDS & interior. Although the V paved the road for the come back of the GTI into a market who craved a better performer.
There is nothing wrong with the V but i rather the MKVI..

QFT

ah ok, yeah i only had a little bit of seat time in the 5 and it was a while ago. I thought it made sense because I know they reduced manufacturing costs dramatically on the 6. Thanks for clearing that up though :)

by reducing costs... they mean they found a way to reduce the number of hours eac h car spent on an assembly line.

Some things: suc has paint qualit yhas decreased... but overall, I don't see, hear or feel "cost cutting" i nthe mk6 GTI.

TheVdubFire

The mk5 GTI maybe is cheaper but mk6 is more refined, in terms of interior and ride quality. But if you get mk5 gti, there will be a lot of aftermarket parts available, compared to mk6. Personally Id go for mk6.

Regina_Sk_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed

vs

MKVI FTW