GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Got pulled over for the first time in the GTI yesterday. Surprisingly it wasn't for speeding, instead got ticketed for driving with expired tags lol.
I've been aware they expired last month I've just been slacking on getting the smog and renewal (as I do every year 🤷‍♂️)
Last year the late penalty was $18 so I wasn't too worried about it, but I guess now I get to try out one of these "ticket attorneys" I always hear about

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who said anything about 3,500 rpms? I'm driving around at 5,000-6,000 till the cars warm. Italian tune-up every morning.
There's not much else you could do to damage your engine unless you just didn't bother putting oil in it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I for one think the whole "warm it up first" is somewhat a myth. Give the car 10 seconds to move some fluids around and get going.
But then your butt will be cold when you sit down. Its better to have millions of people let the engine pump out noxious gas from the tailpipe directly into the atmosphere for 10-15 minutes every morning so their butt isnt uncomfortable for that first 25 seconds of getting in the car

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
The only logical way to do this would be leave your wife’s atlas alone, buy a 3.6VR and swap it in your GTI.

Swapping both isn’t a good idea, at all.

Actually buying a additional Mk7, to do said swap would make the most sense.
That's the most likely path (find an engine out of an Atlas/Passat GT) if I get there. After plotting a path with turbo upgrades, etc and seeing where others end up down the rabbit hole, feel like doing something more unique would be more satisfying down the line. It's not going to be an overnight or right away project, it's going to take a lot of planning and assessment (and cold hard cash).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who said anything about 3,500 rpms? I'm driving around at 5,000-6,000 till the cars warm. Italian tune-up every morning.
Ok folks is this sarcasm? If yes haha. If no the only way to damage your engine worse would be to not even use oil.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
But then your butt will be cold when you sit down. Its better to have millions of people let the engine pump out noxious gas from the tailpipe directly into the atmosphere for 10-15 minutes every morning so their butt isnt uncomfortable for that first 25 seconds of getting in the car
I for one will not be walking outside to start my manual (no push to start car/ remote start), then walking back in to wait for it to get warm, then go back out to drive. Cold booty for the win

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
also by having everyone pre-heat their car it will increase global warming so our children won't have to warm up their car

#winwin

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
also by having everyone pre-heat their car it will increase global warming so our children won't have to warm up their car

#winwin
This is how I feel about my convertible. It gets like 14mpg, so it's warming the planet to extend convertible season every time I drive it!

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Motor and DSG are still audible but now it doesn't sound like a tractor. Yes, BFI stage 1 engine mount and the tranny mount is OEM with the BFI stage 1 "brick" inserted into it. The hybrid puck is back to being the biggest offender for NVH.

Thanks. I have the BFI Stage 1 dogbone, and NVH is acceptable as a DD. I'm hoping it won't increase much with the BFI mounts, but I'll find out soon enough.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I try to always let the car complete it’s cold start cycle and drop to idle rpms, before moving.
My car makes it known that it doesn't want to be driven until the rpms drop. If I start driving away then about as soon as it gets to 2700-3000 rpms it'll misfire. I literally can't drive until the rpms drop. I brought it up to Ed@EQT and he was just kinda like, wth are you even doing driving the car when it sounds like a diesel? I gave him a little bit of shit for that one. It's never done that on either of my tuned GTIs and my R didn't do that until it was tuned. I'm not sure how he can expect me to think that's normal, I'm still not sure it is.