GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

Rwong324

Car(s)
Gti
Hey all, this thread has been really helpful and learned a lot. Was wondering if anyone has experience with neuspeed non resonated and added a vibrant 17950 resonator after? I know neuspeed has a revised version that does come with a front resonator. Recently picked the old version used. I’ll def share some before and after videos.

Attachments

• 11DA9CAF-5B3D-44B8-BF90-C163F03B2CF0.jpeg
    11DA9CAF-5B3D-44B8-BF90-C163F03B2CF0.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 47

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

ASHMEU

Car(s)
Alltrack '19
Well, I join this thread too late, after having searched too long for the source of my problem. Here is my experience on my Alltrack '19, IS38 swapped Stage 2+ Uni.

- CTS Turbo catted DP
- AWE Tuning Touring Edition catback

It was really too noisy for the neighbors and a bit plus it was droning AF, so my mechanic-welder decided to replace the 2 mufflers of the AWE with 2x Vibrant Ultra-Quiet resonator. The sound became very deep and quieter, but still with drone. So deep that plastic rattles appeared at low revs. Only after seeing this thread did I decide to try the Vibrant 17950 resonator. I went back to my welder and the AWE resonator was replaced.

Now I solved 80% of the drone, maybe more. The sound is always deep although quite annoying on the long road. Long live the Fender system! 😅

On the other hand I lost the magnificent "fart" of the DSG on the upshifts. They are muffled by the Vibrant UQR. I should have changed the 17950 resonator first and kept the AWE mufflers? I'm really struggling to find the perfect setup.

I know, having read the thread before, I wouldn't have installed a CTS Turbo DP either, you seem to be saying the quality is crap.

And now, what next?

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
The CTS downpipe is fine. The cat is crap.

I honestly never understood the hate around the CTS Downpipe, its a quality cast piece, the welds look pretty solid and penetrate properly. Cat quality and placement isn't the best but given most aftermarket DP's won't prevent a CEL anyways who really cares. Much easier and cheaper to replace the cat if you ever need to though.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I was about to buy the catted CTS downpipe with the sale they have going on, but then someone on here had an older used Baun downpipe with cat for sale that I decided to go with instead! Great price too. Im planning on keeping the stock catback, but ill see how I like it after a while.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
I just bought a CTS downpipe to go with A GESI cat.

Out of curiosity, why are you bothering with a GESI cat given its downstream of the 02 placement?

Seems like a lot of money for a certification that I imagine most inspectors wouldn't even bother checking.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Tired of random check engine lights from my current APR dp.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Tired of random check engine lights from my current APR dp.

Only way you’ll avoid CEL is with the proper cat & cat placement. APR uses a lightly loaded GESI cat too far downstream & you see the results.

I honestly never understood the hate around the CTS Downpipe, it’s a quality cast piece, the welds look pretty solid and penetrate properly. Cat quality and placement isn't the best but given most aftermarket DP's won't prevent a CEL anyways who really cares. Much easier and cheaper to replace the cat if you ever need to though.

Being cast doesn’t mean quality, and CTS welds are among the worst in the industry (undercut, fusion welded (no filler), no back purge (zero penetration & instant burn off of all the alloys which make stainless stainless from the inside out in a event often referred to as Sugaring).

The hate around CTS is absolutely justified, & on the FB groups you’ll see them posted broken regularly.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Only way you’ll avoid CEL is with the proper cat & cat placement. APR uses a lightly loaded GESI cat too far downstream & you see the results.

Being cast doesn’t mean quality, and CTS welds are among the worst in the industry (undercut, fusion welded (no filler), no back purge (zero penetration & instant burn off of all the alloys which make stainless stainless from the inside out in a event often referred to as Sugaring).

The hate around CTS is absolutely justified, & on the FB groups you’ll see them posted broken regularly.

I wasn’t implying cast meant quality, I meant that the cast looks good, no obvious defects with it, pitting/pores or malformations. The welds on mine looked good and appeared to penetrate through to the inner wall.

Maybe they've adjusted their process/fixed some issues?

I haven't had social media in 4-5 years now, so I haven't ever seen those types of posts, but its been 2 years and 33kmi on my car without issue.

ASHMEU

Car(s)
Alltrack '19
Does being a wagon contribute to amplifying the sound in the cabin? Logically I would say yes. I'm thinking of reinstall OEM mufflers, and installing an exhaust cutout valve for those occasions when I want a lot of sound and unrestricted performance?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wasn’t implying cast meant quality, I meant that the cast looks good, no obvious defects with it, pitting/pores or malformations. The welds on mine looked good and appeared to penetrate through to the inner wall.

Maybe they've adjusted their process/fixed some issues?

I haven't had social media in 4-5 years now, so I haven't ever seen those types of posts, but its been 2 years and 33kmi on my car without issue.

Burning through the inner wall with Sugar is not the same as penetrating, this video shows the correct & massively quicker incorrect way.

They did change their process, the cast upper is the new CTS version & it’s just as poorly built as the original.

I absolutely hate even talking about this stuff because at the end of the day if your CTS downpipe has held up & saved you money that’s great, but it’s literally a miracle that that’s been the case.

Having to deep dive into explaining this a few times a year for almost eight years now is getting old (I got a CTS DP for free in 2015, and have had to deal with customers who’ve had them every subsequent year since getting rid of mine).

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I got the UNitronic DP and their tune after a lot of research. As advertised, great fit and finish on the DP, and no CEL after the tune was flashed. Drove it like that for 100k miles. Expensive DP?, you betcha. Worth it? You betcha. DP + Tune, + labor I think I wrote a check for $1600.