GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I know a guy who is a master mechanic and works for a dealer and he makes over 100K per year.

He told you that or he showed you his W2?

I'm not sure what he does now but I had a buddy who worked for a Honda dealeraship as a mechanic making over $100k a year. He explained how he got paid (and moreso how he is able to make extra) and it made sense.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk but I doubt 10 oil changes day = $100K

unless you have a huge base of people willing to spend lots of money for 2 guys in a van.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
He told you that or he showed you his W2?

He told me. There were others mechanics making that much also. This was quite a while ago but he didn't have a particularly high base rate. Can't think of what it's called but you know when a specific job pays x number of hours but he can do the job in far less time.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
He told me. There were others mechanics making that much also. This was quite a while ago but he didn't have a particularly high base rate. Can't think of what it's called but you know when a specific job pays x number of hours but he can do the job in far less time.

This. My friend told me the same thing.

Book rate on a timing belt is 9hrs. Dealership charges 9hrs. He gets paid his hourly rate x9. But he does it in 4.5hrs. So he does two that day. Paid 18hrs at his rate for one days work.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Me and my buddy have considered doing it as a side gig also. He’s definitely the better mechanic between us and an SAE would be cakewalk for him. If you did an average of 10 oil changes a day that would amount to well over 100K a year. Of course you could make much more with complex tasks thrown in.
I usually go to Carlisle and Louisville with my dad to see the big East Coast classic car shows....there is one team....one.....that travels and is a classic/hot rod repair team that simply fixes cars the whole time. I saw them do that and was floored and like "I'd love to do that".

I think I asked this already, but never got an on-topic answer. Will a 18/20 oz KleanKanteen or Hydroflask fit into the Golf/GTI/Alltrack cup holders?
I've never gotten a hydroflask or Klean to fit in my cup holders. I think only their really skinny versions would fit.

I know for a fact that up near DC, dealership upper mech's make well into 6 figures. I think I'm well behind the power curve and years to jump into that profession, so I have to manage expectations that this would really be for personal experience and learning. I'd love to have an engine stand to learn on and do one thing a day ya know?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I really want to take a class to teach me how to disassemble and assemble an engine... seriously. Where could I take one OR is that more part of larger automotive tech classes?

I’m serious too...I want to do a complete profession change
1: go to junkyard get a 350.....first one will cost you 2-3K to rebuild but you'll end up with tools.

2: See if you can find local hot rod club...be willing to help turn wrench. Offer to bring beer and doughnuts and show up whenever they want you to.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I usually go to Carlisle and Louisville with my dad to see the big East Coast classic car shows....there is one team....one.....that travels and is a classic/hot rod repair team that simply fixes cars the whole time. I saw them do that and was floored and like "I'd love to do that".

I've never gotten a hydroflask or Klean to fit in my cup holders. I think only their really skinny versions would fit.

I know for a fact that up near DC, dealership upper mech's make well into 6 figures. I think I'm well behind the power curve and years to jump into that profession, so I have to manage expectations that this would really be for personal experience and learning. I'd love to have an engine stand to learn on and do one thing a day ya know?
You could go to the junkyard and ask for the cheapest engine they have and just buy it with the intent on taking it apart and learning it. I would like to do that one day as well. I could try it with the engine in my camry but i just want the thing gone at this point and i doubt the junkyard would take it without an engine/trans

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Both are great advice....hadn't thought of this

1: go to junkyard get a 350.....first one will cost you 2-3K to rebuild but you'll end up with tools.

2: See if you can find local hot rod club...be willing to help turn wrench. Offer to bring beer and doughnuts and show up whenever they want you to.
Classic car/hot rod guys are awesome.....dying breed there

You could go to the junkyard and ask for the cheapest engine they have and just buy it with the intent on taking it apart and learning it. I would like to do that one day as well.
Maybe I could just do this on a junked MK7 lol

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I think I asked this already, but never got an on-topic answer. Will a 18/20 oz KleanKanteen or Hydroflask fit into the Golf/GTI/Alltrack cup holders?

like this??

1C3A27F2-8214-4CA7-ACF8-D943F5257DB9.jpeg

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
This. My friend told me the same thing.

Book rate on a timing belt is 9hrs. Dealership charges 9hrs. He gets paid his hourly rate x9. But he does it in 4.5hrs. So he does two that day. Paid 18hrs at his rate for one days work.

It would be great if it worked out like this all the time. There are jobs that literally pay 0.2 or 0.3 hrs. Then if you burn a bunch of time chasing rattles or diagnosing crazy electrical issues...

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I can only speak from my own personal experience, but...

They don't burn very much time. That's why you get your car back and it still rattles and squeaks.

I know it's not every mechanic. Probably not even a quarter of them. But these places and these mechanics exist, and they're not that rare. He's 31 and has been doing it for 11 years so he's worked up to not dealing with squeaks and rattles. He works for a high volume dealer for a popular brand and the name (Conicelli) is on 2 dozen other dealerships in the area. And we're talking the immediate suburbs around Philadelphia. Their service bay is busy to say the least.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
FMIC folks

Saw this under the car today. Congealed, but looking at the tray, has dripped before. Tan in color....what is it? Is this oil?? Pics from Passenger side
7B90C954-1315-4E70-8BDD-C06D83A5B43E.jpeg

93B5BA59-D713-457C-AE68-4C401D16E923.jpeg

AE6AAF24-A665-4684-B2AE-3034469DFF14.jpeg

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
That'd be my first guess. Blow by or a turbo seal. If your exhaust never smokes then probably blow by

EDIT: Unless you changed your oil recently and spilled, which I do religiously. But it looks like it seaped out of a silicone hose and if you have oil in your intercooler its blow by. Check your intake piping

Last edited: