GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Elwood

3-7-77
That'd be my first guess. Blow by or a turbo seal. If your exhaust never smokes then probably blow by

EDIT: Unless you changed your oil recently and spilled, which I do religiously. But it looks like it seaped out of a silicone hose and if you have oil in your intercooler its blow by. Check your intake piping

Everyone has oil in their intercooler. From the PCV system.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Blue lights me need how get 👁 👁 🦌
20200627_200057.jpg
20200627_195358.jpg

I went the Amazon led strip route. I was installing the boost guage that had the 2 switches in it anyways, so I wired mine off of key on power to the switch.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It would be great if it worked out like this all the time. There are jobs that literally pay 0.2 or 0.3 hrs. Then if you burn a bunch of time chasing rattles or diagnosing crazy electrical issues...

They won't give a flat rate time on chasing problems.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
They won't give a flat rate time on chasing problems.

Negative, if it's warranty it is more complicated. You can claim r&r if you're taking parts of the car apart, or possibly a standard electrical test/code check. If there is no specific labor operation, you have to use a different punch time usually called DW(diagnostic work) or NON(no op number.) Some places started capping these amounts so even if you indicated 4 hours they may not give you that much. Not everything has a specific flat rate amount like 9hrs for timing chain. If you claimed a road test, they wanted the mileage in and out and the odometer reading corrected or claim could be denied.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
This. My friend told me the same thing.

Book rate on a timing belt is 9hrs. Dealership charges 9hrs. He gets paid his hourly rate x9. But he does it in 4.5hrs. So he does two that day. Paid 18hrs at his rate for one days work.

That seems like a big incentive to do half assed jobs.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
FMIC folks

Saw this under the car today. Congealed, but looking at the tray, has dripped before. Tan in color....what is it? Is this oil?? Pics from Passenger side

That looks like the same stuff that dripped off my tray onto my garage floor after driving thru a flooded parking lot last summer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Negative, if it's warranty it is more complicated. You can claim r&r if you're taking parts of the car apart, or possibly a standard electrical test/code check. If there is no specific labor operation, you have to use a different punch time usually called DW(diagnostic work) or NON(no op number.) Some places started capping these amounts so even if you indicated 4 hours they may not give you that much. Not everything has a specific flat rate amount like 9hrs for timing chain. If you claimed a road test, they wanted the mileage in and out and the odometer reading corrected or claim could be denied.

You neglected to mention that it was a warranty issue.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
You neglected to mention that it was a warranty issue.

Goes either way, warranty and customer pay times are based off the same labor guide. If I can't fix your car, I can't make up whatever amount of hours I want to compensate. Unless you're ok with that.... lol

cb1111

I usually go to Carlisle and Louisville with my dad to see the big East Coast classic car shows....there is one team....one.....that travels and is a classic/hot rod repair team that simply fixes cars the whole time. I saw them do that and was floored and like "I'd love to do that".

Aren't you somehow military related? If so, the on base auto hobby shop generally has a bunch of guys from the motor pool hanging around showing people how to do stuff. Spend some time looking over their shoulder and you'll figure out if you like it.

I've never gotten a hydroflask or Klean to fit in my cup holders. I think only their really skinny versions would fit.

Thanks. I figured it would be kind of close - some say yes, some say no - I guess I'll just have to try my flasks and see.

I know for a fact that up near DC, dealership upper mech's make well into 6 figures. I think I'm well behind the power curve and years to jump into that profession, so I have to manage expectations that this would really be for personal experience and learning. I'd love to have an engine stand to learn on and do one thing a day ya know?
A top tech in a high cost of living area has an easy time making six figures. The hourly rate at the local Lexus dealer is $180 and the experienced techs generally get between 25 and 30%, so $50. Like another poster said, the dealer charges (and pays) book rate but that is normally pretty inflated. I doubt that one can say it is double, but two six hour jobs should be able to be completed in an 8 hour day - and then there is overtime.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Goes either way, warranty and customer pay times are based off the same labor guide. If I can't fix your car, I can't make up whatever amount of hours I want to compensate. Unless you're ok with that.... lol

Right if it's a warranty issue the mechanic might not make as much diagnosing a problem but if it's not a warranty issue it's time and material.

Khanak

I tried installing the mirrors myself but wasn't able to get all the plugs disconnected and so I put the door card back on. The airbag error light came on the next day. Any connection?

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Alright y'all - I was under my car and found this hanging out near the horn. I did not see anything obviously missing a plug. Any ideas what it is and where it should go? Thanks!

- 2015 GTI SE bought used through a third party and I have no way to contact the previous owner. -

IMG_7153.jpg