GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Then you aren't doing it right. šŸ˜‚
Iā€™d agree with you, considering the second one needed a new transmission while it was still under warranty and was totally stock ECU/TCU, because a KMD Tuning improperly installed my dogbone Mount and my trans casing broke. That was an annoying $3K to spend.

cb1111

Iā€™d agree with you, considering the second one needed a new transmission while it was still under warranty and was totally stock ECU/TCU, because a KMD Tuning improperly installed my dogbone Mount and my trans casing broke. That was an annoying $3K to spend.
This would be an interesting question - how many miles can you go on an un-modded, but regularly maintained, Mk7 before anything of significance breaks?

Significant is something that results in a breakdown aside from batteries and tires.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
This would be an interesting question - how many miles can you go on an un-modded, but regularly maintained, Mk7 before anything of significance breaks?

Significant is something that results in a breakdown aside from batteries and tires.
~30k? Depending on if/when the water pump decides to shit all the coolant out

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
With regular maintenance by a competent tech, I'd suspect that they would catch the problem before it blew up.
My experience has been that dealers (not just VW) usually don't want to replace something under warranty unless it's 100% undeniably a problem. Otherwise, you'll get something along the lines of "we ran a compression test and found no leaks" or "took car on a test drive, could not replicate the problem. here's the keys. goodbye"
what???? 140K+ miles across 3 MK7 golfs, never a CEL.
It's still a common and well-known problem. And no CEL doesn't mean it's not leaking... mine had leaked enough where it was below the "minimum" level on the tank but still wasn't throwing a CEL

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
getting a squeaky wet sneaker sound from the left suspension after I washed my wife's GLI S.

its a 2020 DSG, 5400 miles. Where should I start trouble shooting?

cb1111

getting a squeaky wet sneaker sound from the left suspension after I washed my wife's GLI S.

its a 2020 DSG, 5400 miles. Where should I start trouble shooting?
Remove the wet sneaker from suspension.

Check the boots. Does the GLI have the same shipping puck issue as the GTI?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Remove the wet sneaker from suspension.

Check the boots. Does the GLI have the same shipping puck issue as the GTI?
PDI on the GLI was hardly done. I had to remove the pucks myself.

either way, even with the pucks in. They didnā€™t squeak

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
B
My experience has been that dealers (not just VW) usually don't want to replace something under warranty unless it's 100% undeniably a problem. Otherwise, you'll get something along the lines of "we ran a compression test and found no leaks" or "took car on a test drive, could not replicate the problem. here's the keys. goodbye"

It's still a common and well-known problem. And no CEL doesn't mean it's not leaking... mine had leaked enough where it was below the "minimum" level on the tank but still wasn't throwing a CEL
But you got a warning in the MFD didn't you?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
For those with upgraded clutches: With my new clutch and SMF I am trying to figure out how to quickly and smoothly take off from a stop... not a full send launch, just like a half send take-off. On the stock clutch, I would have to roll off the clutch slowly for the first second or so otherwise it would bog the engine down. But if I try that with the new clutch + full torque tune the clutch starts to grab and then RPMs shoot up like crazy instead of holding like it did on the stock clutch. Do I just need to be dumping the clutch quicker? I'm gonna find an empty road this weekend to play around and figure out what feels right but any tips in the meantime would be appreciated

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
B

But you got a warning in the MFD didn't you?
Negative. Just a nice little surprise when I popped open the hood one day

When my windshield washer fluid was low it would pop off a warning message in the MFD every single time I went over a bump

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
For those with upgraded clutches: With my new clutch and SMF I am trying to figure out how to quickly and smoothly take off from a stop... not a full send launch, just like a half send take-off. On the stock clutch, I would have to roll off the clutch slowly for the first second or so otherwise it would bog the engine down. But if I try that with the new clutch + full torque tune the clutch starts to grab and then RPMs shoot up like crazy instead of holding like it did on the stock clutch. Do I just need to be dumping the clutch quicker? I'm gonna find an empty road this weekend to play around and figure out what feels right but any tips in the meantime would be appreciated
Nature of the beast... lol

With the stronger holding pressure of the plate the the aggressive compound on the disc itā€™s just going to be a more aggressive ā€œhitā€ slipping it to get a oem smooth and calm take off means youā€™ll wear the friction material down quicker (IE: me with the ceramic puck style full faced wore it down in under 8k miles šŸ˜‚šŸ˜©) cause I didnā€™t like the off/on nature of that clutch, so even knowing it was a bad idea I did it.

Also the variance youll need to get used to with the lighter faster SMF but the grabbier clutch is you need a higher rpm to take off during the friction point but then you will need to ease back on the throttle once youā€™ve grabbed, with the stock setup itā€™s grabs at a lower rpm and with the heavy dmf itā€™s slow to elevate the rpms so it takes more of that gas pedal.

But yeah thereā€™s really no big magic tips outside of what you said - practice getting used to a new way of taking off, as itā€™s just not as forgiving when you have an aggressive clutch... and if that ACT is rated to 500lb-ft its deff got some sticky material with strong clamping force.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Negative. Just a nice little surprise when I popped open the hood one day

When my windshield washer fluid was low it would pop off a warning message in the MFD every single time I went over a bump
I check the fluids once a week but since I drive so many miles everyday when my thermostat housing started to leak I did get a low coolant message in the MFD.