GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Does the 2021 SE come standard with floor mats?

Every 2021 SE I find in my area comes delivered with VW GTI Monster Mats/Trunk Liner/Blocks, plus an Auto-Dimming HomeLink mirror and often a Bumperdillo rear bumper protector at extra cost, none of which I want. I just want to be sure that regular GTI floor mats are included if I somehow locate or order an SE without the costly adders.

I'd rather add "decontented" features myself, like the underseat storage drawer, hood insulation and spare tire liner. Thanks y'all.

cb1111

Does the 2021 SE come standard with floor mats?

Every 2021 SE I find in my area comes delivered with VW GTI Monster Mats/Trunk Liner/Blocks, plus an Auto-Dimming HomeLink mirror and often a Bumperdillo rear bumper protector at extra cost, none of which I want. I just want to be sure that regular GTI floor mats are included if I somehow locate or order an SE without the costly adders.

I'd rather add "decontented" features myself, like the underseat storage drawer, hood insulation and spare tire liner. Thanks y'all.
They come with the junkiest, thinnest floormats I've ever seen. You might as well just leave those paper mats in there...

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
They come with the junkiest, thinnest floormats I've ever seen. You might as well just leave those paper mats in there...

Okay, that's worth knowing. Thank you.

Regarding the Auto-Dimming HomeLink mirror that VW is adding to many 2021 GTIs, is it wired to the car for anything? Or is it independent and runs on button cell batteries? I wonder if I wanted to remove it, if the original factory mirror would fit on the same mount ..... just not a fan of the thing, duplicating the compass function already resident in the dashboard display.

Last edited:

Elwood

3-7-77
Regarding the Auto-Dimming HomeLink mirror that VW is adding to many 2021 GTIs, is it wired to the car for anything? Or is it independent and runs on button cell batteries? I wonder if I wanted to remove it, if the original factory mirror would fit on the same mount ..... just not a fan of the thing, duplicating the compass function already resident in the dashboard display.
Yes, it is wired to the car. There is a compass in it and Homelink. Yes, the original cheap-looking mirror will fit. The compass can be turned off.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Okay, that's worth knowing. Thank you.

As someone who just retrofitted the homelink mirror into their GTI, it is a LOT nicer than the regular one and for me has been a huge aesthetic upgrade. If I could have had it dealer installed at purchase, I would've jumped on it. Just my 2¢

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Does the Auto-Dimming work well? I mean, does it dim enough and reflect a comfortable level of light?

Glad to know that it doesn't use batteries for its power.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Does the Auto-Dimming work well? I mean, does it dim enough and reflect a comfortable level of light?

Glad to know that it doesn't use batteries for its power.
Works very well. The only time you can be a little put out is when it's not quite dark out and someone has their high beams on behind you. It's rare, but annoying.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Quick question....got a new battery today and it's a bit bigger than the OEM one so the fabric cover will not fit. How important is that cover....I'm guessing not too important since they started removing it from newer models.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Quick question....got a new battery today and it's a bit bigger than the OEM one so the fabric cover will not fit. How important is that cover....I'm guessing not too important since they started removing it from newer models.
Your guess is correct. Mine didn't come with a cover.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Jim's in phoenix, with that weather it means nothing! LOL. Given the location of the battery on the GTI near the firewall, it doesn't do much in cold climates either. I did have a Nissan years back that had the battery close enough to the grille that I came out of work one day to a low enough battery that the car wouldn't start. Upon opening the hood, I noticed a layer of snow stuck on the front side of the battery due to the wind. That car could have used a cover/blanket.

P.S. Jim, could you send some Phoenix weather this way? I have a pile of parts waiting for install until my metal hand tools won't freeze to my hand if I touch them...

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Jim's in phoenix, with that weather it means nothing! LOL. Given the location of the battery on the GTI near the firewall, it doesn't do much in cold climates either. I did have a Nissan years back that had the battery close enough to the grille that I came out of work one day to a low enough battery that the car wouldn't start. Upon opening the hood, I noticed a layer of snow stuck on the front side of the battery due to the wind. That car could have used a cover/blanket.

P.S. Jim, could send some Phoenix weather this way? I have a pile of parts waiting for install until my metal hand tools won't freeze to my hand if I touch them...
If I send some of the weather now I'll have to send some in July when it's 115* also. ☀

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Yeah, but it's a dry heat... :unsure: Send the 15 of the 115.

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Thanks guys!