GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

adam2231

Passed Driver's Ed
Wonder if the pressure on the factories to keep output on track as much as possible will have any impact on quality of the builds. I can imagine that the people working there are under a lot of stress to output as much as they can with the time and parts they have.
Doubt this since VW and their staff used to output 100,000's of cars more per month then they are doing now. If anything they are probably underworked at the current moment since parts are just missing.

Golfbat

Well, just spoke to the dealer and the build week for the GTE we ordered has been cancelled and the order is currently at status 0 with no build week, provisional or otherwise.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just found a brand new GTi for sale in Autotrader. In stock for immediate collection.

Sadly, since it’s just over £40,000 the road tax for next few years is £585 😳 a year.

Reactions: wwo

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Just found a brand new GTi for sale in Autotrader. In stock for immediate collection.

Sadly, since it’s just over £40,000 the road tax for next few years is £585 😳 a year.
That’s the dilemma for some - order their ideal spec and be prepared for a very long wait or find one of only a few in-stock vehicles, avoid the wait and pay the price.

The GTI on Autotrader priced at £40,505 does have a number of extra cost options to push the price over £40k, so it’s not a case of the dealer being greedy and charging more than list for a standard car (some dealers have been doing this).

According to the Autotrader ad, the options on the car are;
- Kings Red paint; £825
- panoramic roof; £1,050
- 19” Adelaide alloys; £785
- HK sound system; currently not available but did cost around £640

Total options cost £3,300

List price of a DGS Golf GTI; £37,705, plus options = £41,005. Dealer is advertising the car for sale at £40,505 so they’re are giving a small discount off current list price when they probably don’t need to in the current climate, although perhaps they’re needing to sell it to hit their monthly sales targets.

Anyone who’s playing the waiting game for a new car and they were careful with the options to keep the list price just below £40k at time of ordering may find they still get hit with the higher rate VED. The rate of VED payable in years 2-6 is based on the list price of the car (ex first year’s VED and first registration fee) at the time of first registration. So it only needs VW to increase their prices 2-3 times in the period between a buyer ordering the car and taking delivery to push some buyers into the higher VED band. 🤔

GMan22

Ready to race!
That’s the dilemma for some - order their ideal spec and be prepared for a very long wait or find one of only a few in-stock vehicles, avoid the wait and pay the price.

The GTI on Autotrader priced at £40,505 does have a number of extra cost options to push the price over £40k, so it’s not a case of the dealer being greedy and charging more than list for a standard car (some dealers have been doing this).

According to the Autotrader ad, the options on the car are;
- Kings Red paint; £825
- panoramic roof; £1,050
- 19” Adelaide alloys; £785
- HK sound system; currently not available but did cost around £640

Total options cost £3,300

List price of a DGS Golf GTI; £37,705, plus options = £41,005. Dealer is advertising the car for sale at £40,505 so they’re are giving a small discount off current list price when they probably don’t need to in the current climate, although perhaps they’re needing to sell it to hit their monthly sales targets.

Anyone who’s playing the waiting game for a new car and they were careful with the options to keep the list price just below £40k at time of ordering may find they still get hit with the higher rate VED. The rate of VED payable in years 2-6 is based on the list price of the car (ex first year’s VED and first registration fee) at the time of first registration. So it only needs VW to increase their prices 2-3 times in the period between a buyer ordering the car and taking delivery to push some buyers into the higher VED band. 🤔
“So it only needs VW to increase their prices 2-3 times in the period between a buyer ordering the car and taking delivery” - you said this, does this mean if I order my car and it’s 30k but during the waiting period VW increase it by 10k to 40k then I have to pay 40k on delivery? That seems wrong

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
“So it only needs VW to increase their prices 2-3 times in the period between a buyer ordering the car and taking delivery” - you said this, does this mean if I order my car and it’s 30k but during the waiting period VW increase it by 10k to 40k then I have to pay 40k on delivery? That seems wrong
No, the price you agreed / negotiated for the car with the dealer is the price you pay.

It’s the rate of VED payable in years 2-6 that would be affected if the list price of your car increases to £40k or more before you get the car. VED is based on the car’s list price at time of taking delivery, not the price you pay for the car or the list price at the time you order the car - hopefully the example below clarifies;
  • List price of car at time of ordering; £38,000
  • Discount agreed with dealer off list price; 10%. Price of car £34,200, payable on delivery.
  • VW price increases of 4% and 3.5% between ordering car and taking delivery. New list price; (£38k x 1.04) x 1.035 = £40,903.20
  • List price on day customer takes delivery of car; £40,903.20. Customer pays the agreed price of £34,200 for car.
  • List price of car at time of first registration, minus first year VED £500.00 and first registration fee £55.00 = £40,388.20. (£500 and £55 used for illustrative purposes). As the list price exceeds £40k, annual VED payable in years 2-6 = the standard VED flat rate plus enhanced VED rate = £520.00. (based on current VED rates of £165 standard rate and £355 enhanced rate.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
No, the price you agreed / negotiated for the car with the dealer is the price you pay.

It’s the rate of VED payable in years 2-6 that would be affected if the list price of your car increases to £40k or more before you get the car. VED is based on the car’s list price at time of taking delivery, not the price you pay for the car or the list price at the time you order the car - hopefully the example below clarifies;
  • Discount agreed with dealer off list price; 10%. Price of car £34,200, payable on delivery.
  • VW price increases of 4% and 3.5% between ordering car and taking delivery. New list price; (£38k x 1.04) x 1.035 = £40,903.20
  • List price on day customer takes delivery of car; £40,903.20. Customer pays the agreed price of £34,200 for car.
  • List price of car at time of first registration, minus first year VED £500.00 and first registration fee £55.00 = £40,388.20. (£500 and £55 used for illustrative purposes). As the list price exceeds £40k, annual VED payable in years 2-6 = the standard VED flat rate plus enhanced VED rate = £520.00. (based on current VED rates of £165 standard rate and £355 enhanced rate.
Good explanation SRGTD.

One part I’m not sure on, does the list price include the optional extras? So in your example would £38k be price of car or car +options.

And I had overlooked the discounts as well. I suppose the best bet for most people would be to re-spec their car on the VW Configurator with all options and that should give you an idea if you are over or under £40k.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Good explanation SRGTD.

One part I’m not sure on, does the list price include the optional extras? So in your example would £38k be price of car or car +options.

And I had overlooked the discounts as well. I suppose the best bet for most people would be to re-spec their car on the VW Configurator with all options and that should give you an idea if you are over or under £40k.
Yes, the list price should be the total list price, so in the above example the £38k figure would include the list price of those options.

Reactions: gjm

GMan22

Ready to race!

Wowwwww that’s such a scummy setup for VED… I didn’t know that! Appreciate the info

Ralphie137

Wowwwww that’s such a scummy setup for VED… I didn’t know that! Appreciate the info
It’s the same for BiK which affects my company car order.
When I ordered the GTE I was expecting to pay around £45 / month. When it eventually gets delivered this will have risen to nearer £75 / month.
A combination of VW reducing the electric range and increase in list price. Normally it wouldn’t have mattered but the delays are murder.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
When you say that VW reduced the electric range, I guess you mean that nothing has changed regarding the capacity of the battery but VW have tried to be more realistic in their claims of actual range.

I thought VW claimed 32 miles but I have seen figures as high as 40. 32 is about right in the summer, no A/C, no hills and not driving like a loon.

Since a lot of my journeys are less than 30 miles it is seriously economical car but has impressive performance available if I ever feel like Max Verstappen rather than that cretin Greta Thunberg.

Ralphie137

When you say that VW reduced the electric range, I guess you mean that nothing has changed regarding the capacity of the battery but VW have tried to be more realistic in their claims of actual range.

I thought VW claimed 32 miles but I have seen figures as high as 40. 32 is about right in the summer, no A/C, no hills and not driving like a loon.

Since a lot of my journeys are less than 30 miles it is seriously economical car but has impressive performance available if I ever feel like Max Verstappen rather than that cretin Greta Thunberg.
Yes, when I ordered it the brochure claimed an electric range of 40 miles putting it in the 8% BiK bracket. Now the claimed range is 37/38 miles which puts it in the 12% bracket. A 50% tax increase for 2 or 3 miles is quite a jump even without the list price increase.

Last edited:

rayaans

Ready to race!
Contacted the dealer again this week. We've waited 4 months so far.

They said the build week, still unconfirmed however has been brought forward to week 39. It was initially week 23, then week 44 and now 39. It has been up at week 11 at some point.

Dealers optimistic they'll be able to increase production relatively soon so it may come even quicker.

hm390

GTE has moved to week 22 but not confirmed. Ordered Aug 21.
Queried risk of cancellation and recieved the following: “VW have cancelled orders but these were for cars that had been ordered for stock, and also cars that were earmarked for the rental market. Anything else has been left alone.”

JonE

Ordered GTD February 2022, upgraded to 19" wheels, reversing camera, winter pack with heated rear seats and spare wheel. Dealer put estimated delivery date New Years Eve but reading on here I believe that 12 months wait is more realistic.