GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I’m amazed at the patience of those who have ordered a new Golf Mk8 and are waiting many months, and even years, before delivery. HugoGT I think you will be pleased with your GTE when it eventually arrives.

Since my GTE is just over 2 years old perhaps I should put an order in now for it’s replacement. I might get it in 2025.

matttherat30

Firstly welcome to the how long is a piece of string club lol

If I’m honest I think the provisional dates are nothing more than placeholders.

Our car has changed provisional date too many times to count, it’s been all over the place and different almost every time I’ve called the dealer (GTE ordered October ‘21) - now I think it’s sat at week 12 (it was 3 a month ago, then 6 in December).

And I was told 5 months originally! I agree the timescale is excessive but it does seem to be highly dependent on luck/dealer allocation, I think the performance model thing is mostly BS although my impression is a large reason for the GT models being delayed is extra need for chips (ACC/driving assistance/Matrix headlights)

From what I’ve heard from the dealer (and from the experience of other customers) it seems they have no way of getting more info out of VW, my dealer seems frustrated at this as customers at this point are rightly annoyed. I think the delays to production are reasonableish, but what I think they’ve done a terrible job of is communication and I think that speaks volumes for VW as a company.

I hope we both get our cars in the first part of this year! I was hoping for a 22 plate originally 😂

Edit: also when the new statistics are released on howmanyleft it will be interesting to see how many have actually been registered; GTE and GTD made up under a thousand last year to my knowledge!
Thanks for the reply and sharing your journey which seems to be very similar. I’m honestly just so shocked that VW nor the dealership are unable to obtain anything more that a fuzzy, rough, changeable build date.

I even asked the dealer if he could commit to it being delivered with 3 years of order date and he said no. Haha.

I think my other main worry is that they will start removing parts from the spec. I’ve already heard of some having extras removed.

Ahhh well. It will be worth it when it comes. I suppose the dealerships hands are tied and they aren’t getting any info from the factory/VW HQ.

HugoGT

I’m amazed at the patience of those who have ordered a new Golf Mk8 and are waiting many months, and even years, before delivery. HugoGT I think you will be pleased with your GTE when it eventually arrives.

Since my GTE is just over 2 years old perhaps I should put an order in now for it’s replacement. I might get it in 2025.
The sad thing is that it’s not a daft idea! If only I’d ordered earlier. I hope I am, I’m glad to know from another owner that the car lives up to its expectations as there as so few about I can only remember my very brief test drive which seems a lifetime ago!

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Just a recap so far.

10th of November 2021: ordered. Suggested delivery time: June 2022 (lol).
Lots of differing preliminary build dates, ranging from as early as week 37 2022 to week 12 in 2023, as well as not even having a preliminary build date (on model change).
Confirmed build week 47 2022.
21st of November 2022 (almost exactly 12 months), car went status 20 (in production). Got told 4-8 weeks purely production, due to the model and additional extras, then "your guess is as good as mine as to how quick it makes it on the ferry and through grimsby".

Car's a GTE, moonstone grey, winter pack, reverse camera, HUD, 18" wheels. As of today, no news just yet. Car's status 20 for around 6 weeks now (hard to tell, christmas, new years etc in between, probably delaying stuff). curious to see whether or not we'll get it before my birthday (21st feb), or if it's going to be a 23 plate.

At this point, i'm okay with both i guess. I'm not born in the UK, so that obsession with certain numbers on the number plate is a bit alien to me, but apparently it "looks better" now to get a 23 plate rather than a 72 plate (doesn't make a shred of difference to me, but grasping straws and stuff).

Fingers crossed, for myself as well as you folks, here's hoping that the wait eventually comes to an end.

I think my other main worry is that they will start removing parts from the spec. I’ve already heard of some having extras removed.

Nothing got removed from our spec. One of the worst offenders in regards to delays with Golfs is probably the Harman Kardon system, seen quite a few now being told that it adds big delays.

toejamtam

Finally some good news on mines. Ordered a GTD with dolphin paint and no other extra’s Oct 21 and just been told its at UK port and due at the dealer in 7-10 days. Confimed build date push back from early Nov 22 until early Dec. So looks like they hit the 2nd date. There’s hope…..

matttherat30

I am on the brink of cancelling and calling it a day. Been mulling this over for a while and I’m worried that I’m going to miss out on having a nice new car at all. Other manufacturers are producing them quicker. And prices are just going to keep climbing.

I have tried for a week to contact VW directly (I know they don’t give out any info) but one advisor did say they had a dept that could track things more accurately than dealer. Nothing came of it it. Surely 19 months waiting for a new car at this stage is too much? Any advice lol

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered a GTD in November 2021 as well, and the dates keep being pushed out. I have also thought about cancelling, And seeing new GTD’s available on Autotrader has almost made me cancel my order and buy one that is already here. But for me it keeps coming back to the price, I got a good deal back in Nov 2021, and the equity in my current car is locked in. I can’t justify paying extra to get a new GTD from Autotrader, as an example one was on there early today for £38k.

Plus, call it petty if you want, but I don’t want to give the dealer the satisfaction of cancelling the order, as I know they are just waiting for customers to do that and then when the car does arrive they can sell it at current prices and make a bigger profit.

Everybody is different, and has different circumstances, so you have to do what is best for you.

Hypezokos

I am on the brink of cancelling and calling it a day. Been mulling this over for a while and I’m worried that I’m going to miss out on having a nice new car at all. Other manufacturers are producing them quicker. And prices are just going to keep climbing.

I have tried for a week to contact VW directly (I know they don’t give out any info) but one advisor did say they had a dept that could track things more accurately than dealer. Nothing came of it it. Surely 19 months waiting for a new car at this stage is too much? Any advice lol
It is too long but the car will come.
I have been at the "brink" 2-3 times during my wait but I am relieved that I didn't cancel now that I am so close to delivery (will be 18 months then lol). The main reason I say this is because I am highly doubtful that we will ever go back to the era of 15-20% discounts and manufacturers pushing out as many cars as they physically can. We are well and truly in the era of marginal profit optimisation vs. gross profits optimisation that we have seen in the last decades. If you got a finance product with it like myself, you are also not likely to see those consumer credit interest rates you will have agreed for a while, if ever.

Nothing I like that's immediately available or on short lead times costs less than 1.5 times the rate I have on my GTI - for me that's the critical factor. You might have different priorities, but trust in the car coming and VW not changing your price retrospectively (as BMW, Mercedes and other are doing).

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Well, we do have an update, too - our car is now in Transit, on its way to the UK. We get a further timescale once it hits the UK/status 40, but it appears there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
Mine got offloaded from the boat on the 18th in Baltimore, MD. Now I wait for it to get trucked to the dealer...... :censored:

Once it gets to the dealer, then I need to plan on making the trip from MI down to NC to take delivery.

I'm in the US, so no possibility of "ordering" a car - I had to stalk the VW.com inventory search and hope to get lucky. I did, MSRP deal, but it'll cost me a plane ticket, a rental car, some gas and a couple days vacation.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
What, 850 miles to pick your car up?

I thought we were adventurous by ordering our car from a dealership 40 miles away, instead of going with the closer ones lol.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
What, 850 miles to pick your car up?

I thought we were adventurous by ordering our car from a dealership 40 miles away, instead of going with the closer ones lol.

Right? I guess the up-side is that after the trip back, I'll almost be done with the "break in" period for the car. ;)

Sadly, that is the state of the market here in the US. If you want to avoid paying dealer mark-up of $5k or more, you're going to have to put in a lot of leg-work and be willing to travel, or you'll need to get INSANELY lucky.

I've been looking for an MSRP deal on a Golf R since last June.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Right? I guess the up-side is that after the trip back, I'll almost be done with the "break in" period for the car. ;)

Sadly, that is the state of the market here in the US. If you want to avoid paying dealer mark-up of $5k or more, you're going to have to put in a lot of leg-work and be willing to travel, or you'll need to get INSANELY lucky.

I've been looking for an MSRP deal on a Golf R since last June.

That's awful mate, sucks to hear. On the upside, yeah - a long highway journey is a great opportunity to break the engine in - also, road trips are fun (well, voluntary ones anyway).

Certainly going to create a memory though, gotta see the upsides.

rayaans

Ready to race!
December 2021 - Order confirmed
January 2022 - Week 23
February 2022 - Week 38
March 2022 - Week 45
April 2022 - Week 39
May 2022 - Week 00 (Preparation for MY23 factory changes)
6th June 2022 - Week 46
22nd June 2022 - Week 40
July 2022 - Week 49
August 2022 - Week 45
September 2022 - Week 48
October 2022 - Week 51
6th November 2022 - Week 51
25th November 2022 - January 2023
12th December 2022 - February 2023
28th December 2022 - Week 9 2023
January 2023 - Week 11 unconfirmed

The saga continues.