GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moonroof wind buffeting / wind noise

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
Well thats exactly what I thought.....but then NorthGTI corrected me, but on the VW site is says sunroof.....confusing indeed. I'm sticking with moonroof, because I have it closed during the day (it's hot in South FL) and open at night.....

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
Yes.....my '00 Civic EX also called it a moonroof.....again, I've always thought of sunroofs as more of an aftermarket addition that is solid, paind metal or sometimes clear that only pops up anda moonroof to me has been more of the glass, power, open close, pop up, etc. and OE of course.

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
The Aerodynamics can play havoc up there. In my current vehicle when the roof is ope it's fine but it doesn't go as far back as the GTI roof. My problem comes when I put my Cross bars on for the Bike rack. It changes the aero up there enough that the only way it's tolerable driving is to have the roof in the vented position at anything above 35 mph.

I sure hope that I WON'T have a problem like this with the GTI.

Chris

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
It is not a "design flaw". It's the laws of aeodynamics.

It sure is and when someone invents someat that stops this noise he/she will make a small fortune as all vehicles with Sunroofs suffer from it.

Was in the dealership yesterday and was interested to hear that if you have your vehicle in for after sales work and its still in Warranty then they wont let you have a copy of the job record - seems VW dont want you to know whats being done to your car.

GTi Crow

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had a GTi for 5 months and have had the noise from my sunroof on occasions early on, but it is easily eradicated by opening, just a fraction (say 2-3 cms which is an inch for those still with the old ways), the back left window (right hand drive car).

This not only gets rid of the noise but creates airflow through the cabin which in Australia is quite beneficial, especially in hot weather - which we get a lot, and means I hardly ever have to use the air con below 35 degrees celsuis (95 degrees fahrenheit).

bilbos

On the Kop
If you have the sunroof open full and the windows closed, when you get to about 30-40 mph it sounds like there is a helicopter gunship sitting on your shoulder. Just crack open the window slightly and it will disappear.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
Shovels said:
It is not a "design flaw". It's the laws of aeodynamics.

It sure is and when someone invents someat that stops this noise he/she will make a small fortune as all vehicles with Sunroofs suffer from it.

Was in the dealership yesterday and was interested to hear that if you have your vehicle in for after sales work and its still in Warranty then they wont let you have a copy of the job record - seems VW dont want you to know whats being done to your car.

I was in for warranty work last week and I have the job record sitting in my glove box. So maybe it's jsut that dealership. And North drive a GTI MkV anf=d maybe you'll understand. Yes all sunroofs/moonroofs can be mildly noisy, the GTI MkV is louder than any sunroof/moonroof I've ever had ad this will be my 4th car with one include all the cars my friends and co-workers have with sunroofs who have been in my car, they all agree tis much louder than most.....the roof actually vibrates behind the opening. So get over it NOrthGTI and go play in your jug band.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
bilbos said:
If you have the sunroof open full and the windows closed, when you get to about 30-40 mph it sounds like there is a helicopter gunship sitting on your shoulder. Just crack open the window slightly and it will disappear.

sweet simile.....very true.....it is absolutely loud, go tell that to NorthGTI he doesnt believe me.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Thank you Kurupt, and look I was indeed correct in calling it a moonroof.....ha! to all you damn hecklers.

We have Original English and we have US English :biggrin: :drinking:

and yeah it does sound like the opening scene of Apocalypse Now if ye dont have at least one other window open.