GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moonroof wind buffeting / wind noise

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
I have an E60 525i. It isn't as quite as my Accord's but much quiter than my GTI. No buffeting, though.

Cool.
I'm looking into the E90 330i, but this GTI has really got me wrapped up. It's too cool and just feels like a drivers car. The E90 is sweet but almost too refined though still very capable.

T

lkw15

Passed Driver's Ed
GTT said:
Cool.
I'm looking into the E90 330i, but this GTI has really got me wrapped up. It's too cool and just feels like a drivers car. The E90 is sweet but almost too refined though still very capable.

T

Hey GTT-

I actually had an e90 right before I bought the GTI. It wasn't a 330, but it was a 325 with premium, i-drive, cold weather and with 18" wheels..

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the car-but the GTI is a blast to drive and I don't worry about it as much.

But either way, you can't go wrong. But if you buy the GTI, you can take the rest of the money and buy a jetski or something else fun!

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
aw moon roof i knew i forgot something, nothing a cutting torch wont fix

Original Slacker

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Annoying sunroof wind noise

Bad yet reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing problems with sunroof noise. Mine has the same symptoms as mentioned in earlier posts and the dealership claimed that there isn't a sunroof made that doesn't make what they called a helicopter sound. BS! Every car I've owned has had a sunroof without such noise and my first VW is the first one that makes this noise.

Anyway, my fix has been to shove something under the wind deflector. If you raise it up just a hair, the noise disappears at all speeds! Not so technical is it? Take that aerodynamic geeks. The wind deflector just needs to be a few mm taller. Fine German engineering can't handle wind noise around a sunroof? Love the car though and wouldn't trade it for anything....except maybe the new Scirroco if it makes over to the USA. But will insult this sunroof thing until VW admits it's a problem and fixes it!

OSlacker

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
all cars with sunroof/moonroofs do this .. just the gti or mabey other VW model seem to have the fully retracting sunroof/moonroof thus making the thumping noise alot louder ..

simple fix .. just crack ur window or both windows .. it alows more air inside the car rather then just the air skipping accross the roof thus making the thumping noise ..

if u had a 4dr it would be worse and if u did just crack the rear windows ...
dosent have to be much just enought to make the thumping go away ..

this is the reason i didnt get a sunroof

you could always get the sunroof visor which will sheild the air from hitting the back open end of the sunroof

apollosfury

designeddwk
i've had people in the back complain about it too. it happens at different times in the front and back.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
it is annoying. is there a way to vag your car to crack the windows like an inch or something automatically when the roof is open?

Original Slacker

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI

kwongo

will fly for food
i've read somewhere that replacing the deflector springs with the springs from a3 would eliminate the noise??? not sure about this, because i thought a3 only has that panoramic roof?

and i'm sure there's a thread on here about how someone bought a piece of aluminum and secured it to the bottom of the deflector to make it stronger.