GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motor Trend Under 30K Sporty Roundabouts

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I kinda wish MT and the like would test cars with minor bolt-ons like forum users tend to do.

For instance, WRX with a tune and coils, GTI with a tune and rsb. Just find the Achilles's heel of the car, change it up with some popular modification and come back and re-test.

Already done. I am doing everything within stock brake's setup. It doesn't lack braking power per se, but it just feels long and spongy....track pads, street pads...no difference.

I am used to driving this car this way, but changing it to a MK7 will have some learning curve. But I'd welcome that if it does come with more progression and not just the initial grabby feel on the top of the pedal travel.

If PP car is out now for ordering and delivery I'd probably trade mine in. As it stands it is not happening probably until my autoX season is over, at which point I might wait til next spring...

Do you have tysp's BMC brace?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Why would they test modded car, since the point was to compare what you buy. Forum user is minor % of actual market...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
What does the MK6 MTX turn at 60? The MK7 turns 1950 rpm which is pretty low for a manual 2.0l car.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah no where near that low. Probably around 24-2500.

On DSG car its about 27-2800 at 68mph...

I am actually happy if they give you a taller overdrive. You won't go past 5th in most cases, even delimited on the track day on most US tracks.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Wow, almost exactly my same thoughts of the Si. Its too bad the motor is a turd, because otherwise its pretty decent.
And a big WTF on the Mini.... that thing used to be the definition of driving fun. Now the somewhat lame Civic is more fun?

And if the WRX drives as well as everyone says, I'd choose it over these other three. Based on my GTI experience, I don't think I'll be getting another VW for some time.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I really didn't want to consider the mk7 gti as a candidate for my next car. Was hoping to go for a golf R or wrx for that awd but these great reviews will make me go test one. Once the performance pack is out of course.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Notice in the specs, the GTI has summer tires. That's a big difference over the all season Pirellis. Summer tires are a free option.