GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I bought stuff from Pricepoint and they're pretty good.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
If I had $1000 burning a hole in my pocket I'd be all over it.

I realized today that my rear hub took a massive shit yesterday. It basically stopped freewheeling. Explains why my chain has been dropping so much, and crappy rear shifting. Not sure if it needs a rebuild or a new freewheel mech. We'll see, I'm going to drop it off at a shop after work tomorrow.

mattbrown

Ready to race!
This thread should not be allowed to die! I'm looking to make a new bike purchase very soon. A Santa Cruz TALLBOY 29er is at the top of my list. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about this bike?

This is my current ride. It's a GT Avalanche 3.0 :thumbup: :

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Bringing this back from the dead.

I got my new bike. 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29 - aluminum hardtail, Fox Evolution Series CTD 100mm fork, Magura MTS 180/165 hydraulic discs, Sram's new X0 type 2 derailleur, Sram X0 trigger shifter, 1x10 drivetrain, e13 chain guide, Sram single speed crank, 12mm thru axle, 28mm wide Roval Traverse all mountain wheelset Thomson stem and seatpost, and some meaty S-Works tires - the whole bike is flat black except the chain and cassette. I LOVE it but I ordered it (a 1x10 hardtail) before I knew I was moving to Colorado.... and I picked it up the day before I moved to Colorado, if I could do it again I'd do a full suspension 2x10 version of the bike.

Anyways, I'm not acclimated to the thin air yet, I'm not used to real climbing, and I'm not used to such rocky terrain but I was out here for a week before starting work so I had the chance to ride 4 places in 5 days.

Day 1, my first Colorado ride. Betasso Preserve - 6.7 mile loop with over 1,200 feet of elevation gain.

The rest of the pictures available here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontsow/sets/72157631971540447/

Day 2 - Heil Valley Ranch from the Picture Rock trailhead. 14.2 miles with the first half being a rough rocky 1,527 foot climb and the second half was 1,527 feet back down.

Here's the rest of the pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontsow/sets/72157631972347126/

Day 3 - Flatirons Vista - relax day on one of the least technical trails in the Boulder area - 21.3 miles with 1,766 feet of elevation gain.

The rest of the pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontsow/sets/72157631971579079/

Day 4 - Buffalo Creek. The previous 3 rides were one per day in a row, then I took a day off, and the following day I hit up Buffalo Creek. It's an IMBA Epic and #1 globally ranked trail system on singletracks.com. This ride was ridiculous, my legs were jello the entire next day - 25.8 miles with 3,858 feet of elevation gain peaking at elevations over 8,000. It seemed like I climbed for hour after hour and finally hit the most badass long decent back down I've ever seen, high speed and flowy, over and through huge rock formations. Absolutely mind blowing trail system. The only downside... I forgot my camera so I just took a couple cell phone pictures but pictures don't do this place justice. The fun stuff flows so well I didn't want to stop and take pictures of a lot of awesome stuff.

The rest of the pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontsow/sets/72157631972372246/

After Buffalo Creek I didn't get a chance again because the next to days were in the 30's and then it was Monday and I started work. After my first week working I went riding with a coworker.

We did Heil Ranch again but a very different route, we started from the opposite end trailhead, climbed up, did a loop around the peak, down picture rock, through Lyons to Hall Ranch, a loop there including descending the "rock garden" which was f'in ridiculous, then back up picture rock to the peak and down the other side to the lot. Another day that made jello out of my legs. 28.1 miles with 3,245 feet of elevation gain and very rocky for damn near all of it.

I didn't take any pictures but I found a couple youtube vids of the rock garden at Hall Ranch. If you've even seen something you've ridden on video you know a video has a way of making things look FLAT, this was anything but. I've personally never seen such crazy terrain, there were people on legit downhill bikes.

Here's a video from the guy I rode with making it look easy.

Here's another one of a dude killin it.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Great pictures! I'm actually doing fork shopping so I'm ready to go in the spring.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
My wife came out to visit me for a long weekend for Thanksgiving. I have her mountain bike out here with me and a set of her clipless shoes so I took her for her first Colorado mountain bike ride. From Boulder we took Baseline Rd which turns into Flagstaff Rd, it's a ridiculous tight twisty super steep uphill with a bunch of switchbacks, it was actually part of the USA Pro Tour, a stage ride ended at the peak of it. When you get to the top starting at a base elevation of just over 7,200 feet. We road the Walker Ranch loop. We started downhill, made our way to "The Stairs" which is a crazy stupid steep uphill where you hike a bike, it's literally impossible to ride. You throw your bike over your shoulder and from one step to the next your stepping up at knee height. It's a really, really, rough technical ride in general. My only real complaint is the lack of signage. We road the loop clockwise and multiple times we went off in the wrong direction where the trail split and they don't label which way the trail goes, we'd ride and all of a sudden the trail would just end and we were in the middle of nowhere, After 3 times of taking the wrong direction at an unlabeled intersection it was really starting to piss me off. In the end it was a decent ride but riding in a god damn loop should be easy to figure out and it wasn't. It seemed like one of those things were after riding it once you know where to go for future reference but it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth about the trail system in general. What was supposed to be a 7 mile loop with 1,200 feet of elevation gain ended up being about 8.4 miles with almost 2400 feet of elevation gain.

My awesome wife

The Stairs

Here's the rest of the pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontsow/sets/72157632074851417/

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Thoughts on a fork? 26", 9mm dropout, I forget my crown measurement. Rockshox? Fox?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Personally I'm a fan of Fox forks. I love SRAM drivetrain stuff but their brakes are horrible (Avid), and their forks are just ok (Rockshox). One upgrade I've found that actually came in my new Stumpjumper is the DT Swiss 12mm thru axle (not thru bolt). It fits what normally would be a 9mm drop out, it's really pricey for being just a skewer but it really stiffens up the front end.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
2011 Specialized Enduro Expert built from the frame up with:
- Rock Shox Lyrik 2 step 160mm travel with DH damper and Maxle
- Monarch Plus Rear Shock - PUSH'ed
- Mavic 819's laced to King Hubs w/DT Swiss Comp double-butted spokes, alloy nipples. Rear hub w/Fun Bolts
- XO Shifters and XO Rear Derailleur.
- Race Face Atlas 175 Crankset with e13 chain guide, bash guard and RF Crank End Caps.
- Chris King Bottom Bracket
- Cane Creek 110 headset.
- Thompson Elite seatpost & Specialized Henge 143 saddle.
- Maxxis Minion EXO 3C 2.5 DHF tires - tubeless.
- Wipperman Connex chain and SRAM 990 11-34 cassette
- Syncros Bar
- Formula the One Brakeset, 180mm rotors
- Crank Brothers Mallet 3 pedals.

I love this thing as much as my GTI
Thought I'd share a few pics

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion