GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Last Sunday while riding my local dirt single track I came across Christian Vande Velde out on the trails. I got the opportunity to ride with him for a few miles. He followed me for a bit, then I attempted to but came nowhere close to following him but he'd stop and wait up a bit. Holy shit that guy is fast! Like mind boggling fast, like how in the holy fuck is it possible to go that fast through winding narrow dirt trails through the woods fast. But then again when you were Lance Armstrong's team mate during a few of his Tour de France wins and you've placed in the top 10 a few times yourself it's to be expected. Watching it on tv doesn't really give you any comprehension of how fast they really are.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Last Sunday while riding my local dirt single track I came across Christian Vande Velde out on the trails. I got the opportunity to ride with him for a few miles. He followed me for a bit, then I attempted to but came nowhere close to following him but he'd stop and wait up a bit. Holy shit that guy is fast! Like mind boggling fast, like how in the holy fuck is it possible to go that fast through winding narrow dirt trails through the woods fast. But then again when you were Lance Armstrong's team mate during a few of his Tour de France wins and you've placed in the top 10 a few times yourself it's to be expected. Watching it on tv doesn't really give you any comprehension of how fast they really are.

When I was younger I did a lot of triathlons, and it is hard to fathom how fast some of the pros are moving. Sounds like you had a great experience though.

chippedgti

Go Kart Champion
Mountainbiking Thread

Saw a lot of mountainbikers on the thread about hobbies so i thought id start a thread about mountainbiking. I guess ill start with a pic of my bike and a pic of me riding.

Bike is a Fuji Tahoe 2.0 2011.

First pic is the bike they day i picked her up and the second one is me hitting a tabletop.

Attachments

• 562957_10150734168679201_663179200_8952423_1301907537_n.jpg
    562957_10150734168679201_663179200_8952423_1301907537_n.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 165965_10150965489014201_208081205_n.jpg
    165965_10150965489014201_208081205_n.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 443

livefast

Ready to race!
Awesome, I love mountain biking. I try to go to Markham whenever I have some free time. Oleeta's pretty nice too.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Here's my old bike, very modified Gary Fisher Marlin that I recently sold. (normally I ride SPD's i threw some cheap platforms on to sell it)

Here's my current bike Gary Fisher Superfly carbon hardtail 29er that's getting sold as soon at Trek warranty's the frame again.

Here's the grave stone of the worlds first nuclear reactor it's leaning against (in our local trail system)

Me at Kettle Moraine

My wife in the lot at Kettle, she rides with me

Trails

This was our cake topper at our wedding :)

And a few Go Pro vids

Last edited:

livefast

Ready to race!
DBESTGTI, that was a great post! I'm really jealous of how nice your trails look. They look amazing.

chippedgti

Go Kart Champion
Very nice dbest Im leaving on a week trip to punta Cana with the gf but when I get back I'll post some vids of my thrills and spills on the trails

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Threads Merged.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Here's my old bike, very modified Gary Fisher Marlin that I recently sold. (normally I ride SPD's i threw some cheap platforms on to sell it)...

Here's my current bike Gary Fisher Superfly carbon hardtail 29er that's getting sold as soon at Trek warranty's the frame again.

I see you pulled the Hopes off the Marlin and threw them on the Superfly. Nice call :thumbsup:

I too am looking for a new bike. My X-Caliber is on its 2nd frame. I love the bike.... but I don't exactly trust it. I don't ride my bikes super hard and I'm a prettly slim guy and still managed to crack the frame. The new Giant Anthems look real real nice.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The Hopes get swapped from bike to bike, I love those brakes.

My new bike that I bought is a 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29. It's a stumpy, hardtail, 29er, Fox F29 fork with the new CDT dampener, "custom" Magura hydraulic disks, Roval tubeless wheels with a wider rim or this year, 1X10 drivetrain, E13 chain guide, SRAM new 10 speed X0 type 2 derailleur, it comes with an X7 trigger shifter but it's hopefully getting an XO before I even take delivery. I can't wait for it for to come. It's still an "XC" hardtail but a bit more burly with 2.3 tires, wider sturdier wheels, 10mm more for travel, and 180mm front rotor. If I don't like it, which I'm sure I will) I can put a spacer in the fork to brin it down to regular travel, there are cable stops on the frame to add gears up front, and I can downsize the tiresa bit. I'm gonna swap the bar, stem, saddle, grips, seatpost if it fits and maybe the brakes from the Superfly to this, I want my fit related stuff.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
DBESTGTI, that was a great post! I'm really jealous of how nice your trails look. They look amazing.

Dont let it fool you the closest trail system worth riding is a 45 minute drive away. I usually drive 90 minutes each way to get up to the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest up near Whitewater Wisconsin. The other option is heading to my in laws for a weekend, they are down by Peoria IL, a 2.5 hour drive but they have like 5 small but fantastic trail systems with 20 minutes of their house.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
My wife and I have had the same bikes forever. Nothing fancy, but they still work great. I have a 2003 Gary Fisher Big Sur and my wife has a 2002 Trek WSD8000. We mostly ride together. There are a few trails locally, but they are really busy, so our favorite place to ride is in Wisconsin up near our cabin: CAMBA Mountain Bike Trail System

Here we are loaded up two weeks ago:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
since I still don't have a mountain bike I'm going to miss the local bike race happening this sunday that is appropriately named the "Palos Meltdown" (It's at Palos, where the grave stone for the dead nuclear reactor that I posted above is lol).

I am gonna go and ride stuff companies are bringing for the demo day and I plan on walking the course with my DSLR and getting pics. I'll post them up in here.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie