GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple Software Issues - startin the rejection process.

John 929

Hi, Just thought I'd share my issues and see is any other owners are going down the same path to rejecting their car as I am.

I've owned the Mk8 1.5 eTSI auto for 3 months. too many software bugs to list but the main ones are....

- Traffic hazard warning restricted ping comes up after 5 mins on every drive. VW say they know about it but have no fix.
- Mobile phone won't auto connect on bluetooth. have to manually do it.
- Radio won't start. Error message says feature unavailable please wait. This is after driving for 10 mins.
- Random road signs displayed on the dash.
- incorrect speed for the road displayed on the dash
- Infotainment system re-boots randomly
- Car pings up emergency brake when there is nothing in front.
......I could go on.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great car that drives really well but it's ruined by rubbish software.

Is any one else having these issues as my dealer says not. Also has anyone else rejected a new car. Is it an easy process?

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Would also be interested in this. I have the same vehicle and have owned it from new for just a couple of weeks. UK based by the way.

The car is great, but I have software issues, all of which have been documented on various VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda forums:
- road speed display showing 110 (mph) on motorway
- headlights defaulting to "driving on the right" at random
- when overtaking correctly on the motorway using ACC, the car thinks I am undertaking, and slows to match the speed of the car on the left.

The last 2 of these are dangerous.

I have been in contact with VW UK Customer Service and they told me to take it into a dealer. Did that, and they couldn't fix it. Covid restrictions prevented me from actually speaking to a technician, so I don't know whether they are incompetent or waiting for a software fix.

What was interesting is that they gave me a paper questionnaire to fill in about Driver Assist problems which has clearly come from Germany, and demonstrates that they are seeking more data from customers on the circumstances that trigger these issues.

I have now gone back to VW UK Customer Service expressing my annoyance that they haven't fixed these long standing issues, and asking them what they are going to do about it, and asked them what the rejection process was - I should get a response on Monday.

Pete

John 929

Hi Pete,

Sounds like you have some software issues too. The mk 8 is a great car spoiled by software. Is yours an auto? I'll keep you posted. it's going in on wednesday with the following list and I've told them not to return it till the issues are fixed. It's un driveable.

1. Ping after 5 mins of startup stating that the traffic hazard warning system is not working. This sometimes comes up more than once each journey after about another 30mins.
  2. Radio does not come on. Gives an error message stating that it’s not available. (Photo Sent). This is intermittent and at any time in a journey.
  3. Front and rear parking sensors intermittently not working. Error message stating rear traffic alert is currently unavailable. (Photo sent). Happens on start up but does not go away on a restart.
  4. Phone does not auto connect on Bluetooth most of the time. Have to manually connect. My partners phone is better but still only about 50% successful.
  5. The infotainment system is slow to boot. Sometimes it’s 2 or 3 min of loading user settings with the white screen and rotating circle. No other features work during this time.
  6. Red Emergency Brake Alert flashes up on the screen when there is nothing in front. This is often when going over a sharp bump in the road.
  7. The speed limit sign displayed on the dash along with the red dot on the speedo is often wrong. Shows 20 on side roads in Goring and 60 on parts of the M25. I’d estimate that it’s wrong on about 10% of the roads we use.
  8. Traffic warning signs displayed on the dash when not relevant. IE road narrows or school when not there. They just appear randomly.

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Why do some people have these issues and others not I've owned my gtd for 2 months now and it's been faultless. If the software was the issue surely everyone would experience it?

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Some of the issues listed above sound like there could be a hardware issue somewhere.

My issues occur seemingly randomly, so it must be a set of circumstances that trigger them.

Pete

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Why do some people have these issues and others not I've owned my gtd for 2 months now and it's been faultless. If the software was the issue surely everyone would experience it?
That’s a very valid question, and one that’s been asked on some other forums but no one (on those forums) seems to know the answer. I doubt VW dealers are able to answer it either.

It’s a little worrying that software fixes also don’t always seem to work on some owner’s cars, whereas they do work on others, so could there be some underlying hardware issues as well?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
The problem is a bit of both. Because VW have decided to rewrite the whole software from scratch it is going to take a few years to iron out all of the software problems. Then you have all the different control unit changes from My20 to My22 which interact with the Central Electric and Infotainment unit and errors happen if one CU is not ready or recieves no signal…
Then you have countrol unit that are faulty, error installation from factory( i see a dozen internal recalls from VW) , etc…
I know of those with no problems, but i also know those that were faultless for months and then errors start appearing…
With the newer Golf 8 it seems these have less problems but only time will tell.
So best of luck to your Golf 8 Gtd😜👍

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
‘it is going to take a few years to iron out all of the software problems’.

Holy Crap! Surely not?
The issue of ACC detecting vehicles on the left, and slowing the car because it thinks you are undertaking was identified on new Skodas in March this year (and probably earlier).
The same behaviour was also seen on an ID3 a year ago.

At that speed of fixing, a “few years” is optimistic.

Pete

Wheaty

I have a Golf Mk8 1.5eTSI DSG Style manufactured Jan 2021 (I believe) and delivered to UK in March 2021. Have received 3 OTA updates and most software problems have resolved themselves since that time - however, they were never such a lengthy list as John 929 reports. However, still get the bug where it suddenly thinks the road signs are kmph when using ACC. Happens regardless of when on motorway or A roads. Feels like one of the logic loops of code converting the underlying European code to UK conditions is flawed. Happens about once every 5 times.

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Would also be interested in this. I have the same vehicle and have owned it from new for just a couple of weeks. UK based by the way.

The car is great, but I have software issues, all of which have been documented on various VW, Seat, Audi and Skoda forums:
- road speed display showing 110 (mph) on motorway
- headlights defaulting to "driving on the right" at random
- when overtaking correctly on the motorway using ACC, the car thinks I am undertaking, and slows to match the speed of the car on the left.

The last 2 of these are dangerous.

I have been in contact with VW UK Customer Service and they told me to take it into a dealer. Did that, and they couldn't fix it. Covid restrictions prevented me from actually speaking to a technician, so I don't know whether they are incompetent or waiting for a software fix.

What was interesting is that they gave me a paper questionnaire to fill in about Driver Assist problems which has clearly come from Germany, and demonstrates that they are seeking more data from customers on the circumstances that trigger these issues.

I have now gone back to VW UK Customer Service expressing my annoyance that they haven't fixed these long standing issues, and asking them what they are going to do about it, and asked them what the rejection process was - I should get a response on Monday.

Pete

Just to follow this up:

No resolution to the issues, but I have been told that a software fix is imminent.

I complained to the dealer, VW UK, and because mine is a lease car, also to VWFS. As a result, VWFS have given me a lump sum rebate on my lease costs to compensate. The alternative was to reject the car, but given current supply issues, I didn’t want to go down that route with what is otherwise an excellent car.

Will now have to wait and see when the software fix is released for the Golf.

Pete

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Champion
They told me that major update should be out at the turn of the year.
I have some problems with climate control, it forget settings and sometime windscreen get foggy

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
A low or faulty battery can spuriously trigger various faults and warnings. I have seen this on various cars.
Normally a decent drive sorts things out, but not if the battery is faulty.
You don’t have to get the battery tested by a dealer - various drive-in independents will do it for you, often for free.

Pete