GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Go to a different, mod friendly dealer, and get it covered. My dealer can get mostly anything covered once, while tuned.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
So they quoted you a long block plus turbo. If you look at each item separately at retail, it could easily be $20k - an insane amount, but normal for new parts at the dealer.

But there is one question that you've left unanswered - how did the coil issues happen? What other mods (other than the "tune" ) did you do?

Had you taken our advice and clearly outlined the issues and why the failure wasn't related to the tune, then you would have had a long call, escalated it to a supervisor and the result would have been that the regional manager would have come out to look at your car.

The coil wasn't the problem. It was the missing ring lands that lead the misfire. The coil was working properly there wasn't compression to fire properly.

As for your advice helping him with VW. The regional manager would have said TD1 and still denied the warranty work. And end of story.
Not sure what you were hoping for. Were you thinking the regional manager would come out say fix it out of the kindness of their heart? That's not their problem or job.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Go to a different, mod friendly dealer, and get it covered. My dealer can get mostly anything covered once, while tuned.
Not once it's TD1'd through corporate. You are done.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Accessport was never plugged in for any monitoring. Knock would be something I can detect? Never felt anything...

giphy (11).gif

You wouldn't necessarily feel it. But excessive and prolonged engine knock can cause ringland failure. I paid $75 for a MAP tune, and flashed off of it almost instantly when I saw how much knock it was causing. Every car is different, but if you were having similar amounts of knock as I was, undetected for 10 months... There is a very real possibility you're in this situation because of the MAP tune.

I'm sorry you're stuck in this shitty situation with no easy way out. It's a shitty thing to have to deal with.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
THIS!!! And don't spend beyond your means.

I'm 38 and on track to be mortgage-free in 5-7ish years which will open up a ton of car opportunities for myself (and designer stuff for my wife) haha.

I am in the same boat, I like where your head is at. In about that time I will be picking up the MK4 R32 I always wanted to have!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I am in the same boat, I like where your head is at. In about that time I will be picking up the MK4 R32 I always wanted to have!

Good for you! As much as I’d like to spend on cars and such (I dream of owning a classic Hasselblad or modern Leica to pair with my M2), I promised my wife a solid retirement.

She’s been gracious enough to let me buy an R and turn it stage 2 after already owning a perfectly good 2015 GTI which was already stage 2.

Good luck, mate! Update us with that R32, when it happens!

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Accessport was never plugged in for any monitoring. Knock would be something I can detect? Never felt anything...
Oh no...

I'm custom stratified tuned and keep that shit plugged in all the time! Always monitor knock when tuned, prolonged almost inaudible knock will slowly kill your engine. You also never know if you've pumped in some bad gas.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How many votes for, hone, throw in a new piston, flash back to stock, and drive it until it dies?

Who's with me?