GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new lens for my 20d

the 50mm f/1.8 is a super cheap, super sharp, super fast lens. some people call it the "thrifty 50" because it's around 100 bucks. nice.

it can be so sharp and fast for so cheap because it's a fixed focal length lens. to zoom in or out you have to walk toward or away from your shot

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
the 50mm f/1.8 is a super cheap, super sharp, super fast lens. some people call it the "thrifty 50" because it's around 100 bucks. nice.

it can be so sharp and fast for so cheap because it's a fixed focal length lens. to zoom in or out you have to walk toward or away from your shot

i gotcha. yeah so the one above^^^ is what every one is taking about .
maybe ill pic that up. and thats alot better then the 18-55kit?

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
yea and like i said you can take REAL good images with the kit lens:

how do you get pics like that man? how much are they edited?
hit me up on i.m maybe ill pay you for a lesson.

maimkv

Ready to race!
the 50mm is better in a couple of ways.

in low light you can use your 50mm with out a flash (depending on your ISO setting). and with the 1.8 setting, you'll get the nice bokeh (blurriness) in the background and your subject will be in focus.

as mentioned... it's a fixed lens so you can't zoom in or out. you'll have to walk around your subject to get the shoot you want.

also... read more on photography and as was mentioned, take classes. it'll help you so much in lighting and other stuff. have fun and looking forward to seeing your work when you start getting to know your camera.

Last edited:

mdonders

ballin'
both of those are BARELY edited.

just some levels and white balance, thats it.
what mode on the camera are you shooting in? Auto, Av, Tv, P, Manual?

mdonders

ballin'
i would start in auto, but start shooting in Av more frequently.

Av allows you to set the aperture (the size of the opening of the lens) and it will select the correct shutter speed for a correct exposure. just remember that aperture can be a bit confusing in that the smaller the number, the wider the opening.

basically f2.8 would be almost wide open (and is a fast aperture/fast lens) and would allow more light in than f/11 (although people say f/11 is your sharpest aperture).

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
i would start in auto, but start shooting in Av more frequently.

Av allows you to set the aperture (the size of the opening of the lens) and it will select the correct shutter speed for a correct exposure. just remember that aperture can be a bit confusing in that the smaller the number, the wider the opening.

basically f2.8 would be almost wide open (and is a fast aperture/fast lens) and would allow more light in than f/11 (although people say f/11 is your sharpest aperture).

:mad0259: