GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Inauguration Day Thread

Uberryan

Banned
The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed “the tyranny of the majority” – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could “sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens.” Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: “A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.”
As Alexander Hamilton writes in “The Federalist Papers,” the Constitution is designed to ensure “that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications.” The point of the Electoral College is to preserve “the sense of the people,” while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen “by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.”
In modern practice, the Electoral College is mostly a formality. Most electors are loyal members of the party that has selected them, and in 26 states, plus Washington, D.C., electors are bound by laws or party pledges to vote in accord with the popular vote. Although an elector could, in principle, change his or her vote (and a few actually have over the years), doing so is rare.
As the 2000 election reminded us, the Electoral College does make it possible for a candidate to win the popular vote and still not become president. But that is less a product of the Electoral College and more a product of the way states apportion electors. In every state but Maine and Nebraska, electors are awarded on a winner-take-all basis. So if a candidate wins a state by even a narrow margin, he or she wins all of the state’s electoral votes. The winner-take-all system is not federally mandated; states are free to allocate their electoral votes as they wish.
The Electoral College was not the only Constitutional limitation on direct democracy, though we have discarded most of those limitations. Senators were initially to be appointed by state legislatures, and states were permitted to ban women from voting entirely. Slaves got an even worse deal, as a slave officially was counted as just three-fifths of a person. The 14th Amendment abolished the three-fifths rule and granted (male) former slaves the right to vote. The 17th Amendment made senators subject to direct election, and the 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
The winner takes all thing makes it a tough pill to swallow. I remember learning about that and wondering why that part was never changed.

Sent from phone Tapa

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
So 98% of rural america would basically have no voice? The system was created so that everyone felt they had a voice in the election, not just the opinions of those living in Boston, NYC, LA, Austin, Miami, Chicago, San Fran, etc.

If the left were smart, they'd spread out, instead of flocking to metro areas, but they thrive on their Starbucks, and Forever 21. Can't get that in Bumfuckstown, Tenn.

Hey I'm from a very nice suburb in Tennessee where there are very few bumfucks. I still get my Starbucks fix like the next guy. But, I voted for Trump because I'm sick of being called a fucking racist and homophobe because I support power to the states and drug testing people who get a government check each month even though they're able to work just like the rest of us. I hope CNN and their panels of hypocrites keep pushing the racist, Xenophobe, homophobe message because that crap is exactly what will piss of Americans who work and vote even more to assure we show up again at the next election.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Looking at above quoted post, are you saying voters should be punished for living in cities?

Why does any one person's vote count or matter more than anyone else's? Who cares where they choose to live.

Sent from phone Tapa

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Looking at above quoted post, are you saying voters should be punished for living in cities?

Why does any one person's vote count or matter more than anyone else's? Who cares where they choose to live.

Sent from phone Tapa

The vote is not about the individual it's about the state. It seems like everyone wants the the US to be one big state, but that is not how a republic works. The US is 50 individual republics, and if you use popular vote to decided the election, the states with small populations do not get a voice in the Republic.

I'm not exactly sure how people are being punished by living in a city. Now that everyone was burned by a system they didn't understand, they are calling foul. Understand how the system works before you participate. Bring up something you think might be an issue, like electoral college, at a time when it doesn't directly benefit your side. otherwise, it looks like people are just bitching bc their side lost.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
why do trump supporters have horrible style????? bitch looks like a stewardess for alt-right airlines in 1960 :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is horrendous. I cannot disagree with your assessment here.

Id still bang her. She still looks hots regardless of her outfit.

Also i didnt vote for trump. or hillary.

lostk

Ready to race!
Hey I'm from a very nice suburb in Tennessee where there are very few bumfucks. I still get my Starbucks fix like the next guy. But, I voted for Trump because I'm sick of being called a fucking racist and homophobe because I support power to the states and drug testing people who get a government check each month even though they're able to work just like the rest of us. I hope CNN and their panels of hypocrites keep pushing the racist, Xenophobe, homophobe message because that crap is exactly what will piss of Americans who work and vote even more to assure we show up again at the next election.

maybe trump supporters should stop being homophobes and racist cunts then...:rolleyes:

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
maybe trump supporters should stop being homophobes and racist cunts then...:rolleyes:

Liberals are astoundingly dependable at proving conservatives' complaints true with their own behavior. Looks who's being closed minded and the real cunt here.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Liberals are astoundingly dependable at proving conservatives' complaints true with their own behavior. Looks who's being closed minded and the real cunt here.

Again it's literally hilarious how much Lostk and people like him are responsible for Trump winning. The sad thing is he won't understand the irony of it all.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Again it's literally hilarious how much Lostk and people like him are responsible for Trump winning. The sad thing is he won't understand the irony of it all.

Funny thing is he insults me and calls me profane names yet would crawl into his safe space the moment any of us returned fire. If this was a mostly liberal forum we ironically would probably get banned yet we let him freely spew his nonsensical arguments. Even further, I the racist and homophobe, am pro-choice, support gay marriage, support women's rights, and all sorts of other crazy things he is so sure I adamantly oppose. I just love guns, freedom, and capitalism more.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Funny thing is he insults me and calls me profane names yet would crawl into his safe space the moment any of us returned fire. If this was a mostly liberal forum we ironically would probably get banned yet we let him freely spew his nonsensical arguments. Even further, I the racist and homophobe, am pro-choice, support gay marriage, support women's rights, and all sorts of other crazy things he is so sure I adamantly oppose. I just love guns, freedom, and capitalism more.

I've honestly thought about banning him because he talks in circles to get a rise out of people which I view as nothing but trolling. He can't support any of his arguments and generally resorts to insults instead of providing factual information.

lostk

Ready to race!
I said both sides.... Pointing out that they are there on the trump side accurately represents my statement. Prove to me that there are no homophobes and racists on the left side. I'll wait.

ok heres a test...which politician or group from the left campaigned to restrict transgender people from using the bathroom of the gender they id to? i'll wait...