GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Catch Can in the Winter

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just curious if you removed PVC with the aim of not having to clean the intake valves. Not trying to get into the argument on does a CC do anything, just picking up information. I'd be curious to see your results when you do have them cleaned and how they compare to a stock system. I read a lot on OCC's and stuff with the MK6 Rs, back then the idea was to run Water+Meth injectors that would spray the intake valves to aid in cleaning/stopping carbon buildup.

No I knew carbon cleaning would still be necessary but because of the extreme miles I drive I wanted to reduce the frequency of cleaning. My GTI is an 18 SE and I have 102K miles on it now. Approximately 1000 miles per week. Plus I've been tuned, mods etc since the car was 2 weeks old. I over maintain it because I rely on it for my business. Delivering pharmacy.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
No I knew carbon cleaning would still be necessary but because of the extreme miles I drive I wanted to reduce the frequency of cleaning. My GTI is an 18 SE and I have 102K miles on it now. Approximately 1000 miles per week. Plus I've been tuned, mods etc since the car was 2 weeks old. I over maintain it because I rely on it for my business. Delivering pharmacy.
Did you have them cleaned around 50k, and did you have the CC installed prior? Curious if you've already had positive results with reducing carbon.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You are so stupid. You obviously didn't read the link that explains how it works. Like I said I have a coffee can nearly full of blowby that would have gone back into the intake making carbon cleaning done more frequently. And for the last time it REPLACES the OEM PCV. It still functions the same just with the liquids being trapped in the can and the vapors going back into the intake.

I read you marketing material that got you to spend $800 on a CC for literally no reason.

You still removed the factory pcv and created the problem you threw $800 at to fix.

Seriously, it's funny you take the word of a company that sold you an $800 CC over Misimoto, who stopped development of mk7 CC because there was no need.

It's so hard to know who to trust. A company that wants you to spend $800 on a CC or one that isn't trying to.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I read you marketing material that got you to spend $800 on a CC for literally no reason.

You still removed the factory pcv and created the problem you threw $800 at to fix.

Seriously, it's funny you take the word of a company that sold you an $800 CC over Misimoto, who stopped development of mk7 CC because there was no need.

It's so hard to know who to trust. A company that wants you to spend $800 on a CC or one that isn't trying to.

My Spulen OCC was $45 on sale. Version 1. Nice try. And I don't have a problem with myself or my car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My Spulen OCC was $45 on sale. Version 1. Nice try. And I don't have a problem with myself or my car.

No problem, except you removed the pcv and replaced it with something that needs a CC to catch everything.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you have them cleaned around 50k, and did you have the CC installed prior? Curious if you've already had positive results with reducing carbon.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did get manual carbon cleaning done at 100K and was told that they haven't seen one in that good of shape with that mileage.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why would you create a problem, then fix the problem?

Like I said you obviously aren't bright enough to understand it. Why would I want the blowby that the catch can is trapping back into the intake to carbon up the back of the valves?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Like I said you obviously aren't bright enough to understand it. Why would I want the blowby that the catch can is trapping back into the intake to carbon up the back of the valves?

So the factory pcv left your old cc dry, but you worried that you were getting blowby contaminating the back of your valves?

But spunken let's the blowby get to the cc and collects it, so it's necessary, even though other manufacturers found no need to develop a cc for the mk7, because they found the cc weren't collecting anything.

You still don't get how ridiculous you sound yet, do you?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The stock pcv is stopping that blowby.

You removed that part, and now claim that you need to stop the blow by.

And it was proven on dozens of cars and many hundreds of thousands of miles on the b8s4 that a catch can doesnt do jack all to stop carbon buildup. The only thing that can stop/reduce carbon build up in this engine is MPI.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I ran out of popcorn.... I’m out of this thread

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So the factory pcv left your old cc dry, but you worried that you were getting blowby contaminating the back of your valves?

But spunken let's the blowby get to the cc and collects it, so it's necessary, even though other manufacturers found no need to develop a cc for the mk7, because they found the cc weren't collecting anything.

You still don't get how ridiculous you sound yet, do you?

There are others besides Spulen. BFI makes one also for one example. You are missing the part that a catch can that doesn't replace the OEM PCV won't collect anything because the OEM PCV is still there preventing anything from getting to the catch can. The one that I had previously that didn't collect anything wasn't designed for the GTI. Answer my question. Why do you want the blowby going back into the intake and your oil pan?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The stock pcv is stopping that blowby.

You removed that part, and now claim that you need to stop the blow by.

And it was proven on dozens of cars and many hundreds of thousands of miles on the b8s4 that a catch can doesnt do jack all to stop carbon buildup. The only thing that can stop/reduce carbon build up in this engine is MPI.
The stock PCV is not stopping the blowby. It goes back into the intake and the oil pan. If you don't believe that a properly designed OCC for the GTI is needed don't get one.