GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Catch Can in the Winter

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
PCV separates the oil, it goes back to the oil pan, and fuel vapor is burned off in the intake.

You think oil vapor collecting in a can, with some condensation, and fuel vapor being burned off in the intake is somehow better.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Jim, as an outsider seeing this explained over and over to you in numerous threads, i I can cleary see you don’t actually even understand the design and path of travel of for the pcv that mounted to the head.

if you are putting a can in the car with the stock PVC PLATE and not catching anything there is 1 of 2 reasons either the CANS baffle system is not effective and it’s getting through the can and sucked through the port on the turbo inlet (thats what creates the vacuum of the pcv system and the location the blow by can get to the intake tract) or the can is a good baffle design and it’s not collecting any oil because it’s not SEEING any oil due to an efficient pcv PLATE on the head.

you keep saying you would be introducing the blow by back into the intake but if the pathway for the oil to get is the intake is clean and free of oil, how is it getting there? Which other line of the pcv plate is a direct path to the intake?

again please keep in mind no one is denying that your cc gets filled with blow by, ignore the can and discussed the actual plate and system that is the pcv on the head.

bfi and others make the kits because people will buy them because they have seen the NEED for them on the Mk6s (I have one in my driveway...and it’s always 100% been plagued with excessive build up on the valves) but the mk7s system was developed by vw to fix the previous systems short comings.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
PCV separates the oil, it goes back to the oil pan, and fuel vapor is burned off in the intake.

You think oil vapor collecting in a can, with some condensation, and fuel vapor being burned off in the intake is somehow better.

Except it's not oil going back to the pan. It's runny black combustion blowby. And if the stock system is so great why do you need to do carbon cleaning? I was told that mine had half the carbon buildup at 100K miles that other cars have at that mileage. And with that I am finished in this thread also.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Except it's not oil going back to the pan. It's runny black combustion blowby. And if the stock system is so great why do you need to do carbon cleaning? I was told that mine had half the carbon buildup at 100K miles that other cars have at that mileage. And with that I am finished in this thread also.

So you don't understand that different driving habits will impact the intervals for the need for a carbon cleaning?

Like the fact that someone that puts over 100k miles on their car in 2 years is taking long steady state drives that reduce the amount of blowby and someone that takes shorter trips and more WOT applications would have more?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So you don't understand that different driving habits will impact the intervals for the need for a carbon cleaning?

Like the fact that someone that puts over 100k miles on their car in 2 years is taking long steady state drives that reduce the amount of blowby and someone that takes shorter trips and more WOT applications would have more?

OK this will be my last post in this thread.

My 100K miles in 2 years is making deliveries in the Phoenix metro area. Thousands of short trips between deliveries with very hard driving. I look at my business as an opportunity to listen to my favorite radio shows and be entertained by lots of stoplight drag racing and get paid to do it. So long to the thread.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Please also pre-emptively leave all future catch can threads too.

Catch cans don't do anything for carbon buildup. They are largely sold (falsely) as excellent tools to part worried owners from their money.

Nickems7788

Car(s)
2021 GTI ‘Bahn 6MT
I know this is two years old but I kind of HAVE to comment after that Battle Royale.

This was the most entertaining thing I’ve read all day and occupied me PERFECTLY for the post-chili sh*t I had this afternoon.

El_bigote_AJ, there’s a reason you’re in all the best and most useful threads… Way to stomp that out.

Just to throw my two cents in - since I obviously read and never post - it baffles me that people don’t realize how much of an improvement the Mk7 platform is over previous generations. There will always be things that can be stepped up, but for DD, the stock PCV is always going to be ideal. Most people that argue for a CC are the same arguing for a DV+ over the stock diverter setup. Also, if you live anywhere with cold weather, you are just creating the potential for even more issues running a CC.

That is all. I’ll take my newbie-posting self back inside.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I know this is two years old but I kind of HAVE to comment after that Battle Royale.

This was the most entertaining thing I’ve read all day and occupied me PERFECTLY for the post-chili sh*t I had this afternoon.

El_bigote_AJ, there’s a reason you’re in all the best and most useful threads… Way to stomp that out.

Just to throw my two cents in - since I obviously read and never post - it baffles me that people don’t realize how much of an improvement the Mk7 platform is over previous generations. There will always be things that can be stepped up, but for DD, the stock PCV is always going to be ideal. Most people that argue for a CC are the same arguing for a DV+ over the stock diverter setup. Also, if you live anywhere with cold weather, you are just creating the potential for even more issues running a CC.

That is all. I’ll take my newbie-posting self back inside.

Only people that actually need one are autocross/ track guys and those running high boost.

Other than that, get the BL revision and call it a day.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Great thread.

I should have waited to install my CC, until I had a chance to test just the BL revision PCV, to see if that mitigated the smoke screen I would put out. My last event was smoke free, but there wasn’t a high amount of hard, high speed right hand turns.

My goal is to see if I can make it through 10 events with nothing in the CC, if so I’ll pull it out and rely solely on the PCV.

For reference my CC retains the PCV.

I also bought the cold weather hose, which bypasses the plumbing and can during the winter months, as it’s something I didn’t want to worry about.

But ultimately I’m hoping the BL PCV is the savior.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Great thread.

I should have waited to install my CC, until I had a chance to test just the BL revision PCV, to see if that mitigated the smoke screen I would put out. My last event was smoke free, but there wasn’t a high amount of hard, high speed right hand turns.

My goal is to see if I can make it through 10 events with nothing in the CC, if so I’ll pull it out and rely solely on the PCV.

For reference my CC retains the PCV.

I also bought the cold weather hose, which bypasses the plumbing and can during the winter months, as it’s something I didn’t want to worry about.

But ultimately I’m hoping the BL PCV is the savior.

2 GTI, and 1 R at last autocross. The R and other GTI smoked, I did not.

Both swapped to BL for next event. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: krs

Nickems7788

Car(s)
2021 GTI ‘Bahn 6MT
Only people that actually need one are autocross/ track guys and those running high boost.

Other than that, get the BL revision and call it a day.
Eggs-Act-Lee. End of story.