GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P053F00, P08700, PO46100. Plz Help, car pausing/jerking/stopping at 3k rpm, now barely starts? '17 GTI 6MT

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Firstly - don't part-cannon this. You have an APR-tuned car that is having some apparent fuelling issues based on the codes you posted. APR tunes are set/forget and are v. reliable. I'd have a indy Euro shop go through it/sort it out - it's probably a somewhat simple issue and could be related to the clutch/exhaust work that was done. Finally, I don't think the "3K RPM" thing from the seller is anything to be conspiratorial about - he likely didn't want you to rip the car around on a test drive is all. Leave him out of it - the sale is over at this point and I don't think I'd want to be troubleshooting a car I sold someone "as-is"...I assume there was a bill of sale stating as much? The clutch bit is just an ownership cost of a tuned manual that unfortunately happened under your ownership. Finally, when you say he removed the exhaust for smog and you commented it was stage 2, I assume he removed the downpipe as well? So now the car is APR stage 1 (HT), stock DP?

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Firstly - don't part-cannon this. You have an APR-tuned car that is having some apparent fuelling issues based on the codes you posted. APR tunes are set/forget and are v. reliable. I'd have a indy Euro shop go through it/sort it out - it's probably a somewhat simple issue and could be related to the clutch/exhaust work that was done. Finally, I don't think the "3K RPM" thing from the seller is anything to be conspiratorial about - he likely didn't want you to rip the car around on a test drive is all. Leave him out of it - the sale is over at this point and I don't think I'd want to be troubleshooting a car I sold someone "as-is"...I assume there was a bill of sale stating as much? The clutch bit is just an ownership cost of a tuned manual that unfortunately happened under your ownership. Finally, when you say he removed the exhaust for smog and you commented it was stage 2, I assume he removed the downpipe as well? So now the car is APR stage 1 (HT), stock DP?
Ya, I was just frustrated the other day, it's really not the previous owner's fault. He's really been great and responsive through all this.

Yes downpipe as well, stock DP now. So right before he sold it to me, he tuned it down to stage 1 high torque, but I flashed back to stock tune 3 weeks ago when the clutch was failing. So right now, pretty much everything stock except the carbon fiber intake.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
One code for fuel rail pressure and another for fuel level. Seems odd two none related systems to go bad at the same time. And it only happening after the engine bay was worked it. I would take it back to the shop who did the clutch. Maybe harness was pinched, not attached properly and rubbed through. Just a thought before you go spending money
Yes I'm taking it back to my local indy shop who mostly work on german cars, they're charging me only half the diagnostic fee, we'll see what they say. Is there anything you think I should ask him to look for potentially?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Just tell them what the car is doing, don't clear the codes. Make sure you can replicate the issue reliably, maybe test drive with them make sure they can get it to happen reliably.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Update: So my mechanic found that the housing bracket’s boot was cross threaded and very loose, the hpfp was partially out, causing the codes. So the feel pumps are actually fine!

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input! I was so terrified that maybe I had just bought a dud of car, especially since this cel light came on , and how I just replaced the clutch. So all is good rn!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Update: So my mechanic found that the housing bracket’s boot was cross threaded and very loose, the hpfp was partially out, causing the codes. So the feel pumps are actually fine!

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input! I was so terrified that maybe I had just bought a dud of car, especially since this cel light came on , and how I just replaced the clutch. So all is good rn!
What was cross threaded and loose?

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
What was cross threaded and loose?
I’m picking up the car on Monday so I didn’t get to speak to my mechanic in person yet, I couldn’t speak to him in too much detail over the phone. I’ll know more Monday. But He said something like, the bracket that holds the hpfp, that bracket had either 1 or 2 cross threaded bolts. They eventually came loose, and so did the hpfp where it was partially out of its spot. Bolts extracted and replaced. All is now good!

Car is only 40k mi. I really don’t think many problems should arise, even with the prior tube, bc the previous owner did everything right. This is my second mk7 VW golf. So I was able to ask necessary questions like which gas and whether or not he’s aware of carbon buildup , and he had the right mindset and care for the car. I’m really confused though that the clutch failed after only 27k mi. The previous owner also has a Porsche with high mileage that he used the same sachs clutch for. It doesn’t make sense how mine failed. I really think it may be the VW clutch “Assist” spring. Before I took that out, it felt like the clutch wouldn’t go down fully and was thus only getting partial engagement.

Last edited:

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
You can do it. 15 min swap. If you want to pay for shipping and duties from Canada and back, I have a hpfp I can send you to test out if it works. And then if that's the problem, just buy the new one. But I'm not sure how much duties and shit would be.
Check out my last comment, fuel pumps are all fine. The hpfp came loose bc of a cross threaded bolt. All is good now! Parts are all fine .

Thanks for your offer! I really appreciate all your input, as you can tell I’ve been stressed bc I just replaced the clutch only after 37k mi, and when did he cel come on , I thought I may have bought a dud… but alls good now!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m picking up the car on Monday so I didn’t get to speak to my mechanic in person yet, I couldn’t speak to him in too much detail over the phone. I’ll know more Monday. But He said something like, the bracket that holds the hpfp, that bracket had either 1 or 2 cross threaded bolts. They eventually came loose, and so did the hpfp where it was partially out of its spot. Bolts extracted and replaced. All is now good!

Car is only 40k mi. I really don’t think many problems should arise, even with the prior tube, bc the previous owner did everything right. This is my second mk7 VW golf. So I was able to ask necessary questions like which gas and whether or not he’s aware of carbon buildup , and he had the right mindset and care for the car. I’m really confused though that the clutch failed after only 27k mi. The previous owner also has a Porsche with high mileage that he used the same sachs clutch for. It doesn’t make sense how mine failed. I really think it may be the VW clutch “Assist” spring. Before I took that out, it felt like the clutch wouldn’t go down fully and was thus only getting partial engagement.
Definitely update us… if it’s the 2 bolts for the HPFP, that a MAROON flag 😂. No reason those should be cross threaded let alone loosen at 40k unless the previous owner DE-modded the car (like a hybrid turbo car that the turbo popped on, etc…) before he sold it to you, because there is no reasons a Apr stage 2 gti should have had fueling mods. When you get the car back you should lift the back seat pop the plastic fuel tank cover and take a picture of the retention ring for the fuel pump to see if it’s been messed with as well.

Would openly explain how the clutch was fucked up as well… he could have been slipping the fuck out of it with the bigger turbo/modded setup and when it was back to just stage 2 it lasted for the few months when you first bought it.

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Definitely update us… if it’s the 2 bolts for the HPFP, that a MAROON flag 😂. No reason those should be cross threaded let alone loosen at 40k unless the previous owner DE-modded the car (like a hybrid turbo car that the turbo popped on, etc…) before he sold it to you, because there is no reasons a Apr stage 2 gti should have had fueling mods. When you get the car back you should lift the back seat pop the plastic fuel tank cover and take a picture of the retention ring for the fuel pump to see if it’s been messed with as well.

Would openly explain how the clutch was fucked up as well… he could have been slipping the fuck out of it with the bigger turbo/modded setup and when it was back to just stage 2 it lasted for the few months when you first bought it.
Thanks so much for the input!
Okay so here's another potential clue.... I found in previous VW records that he had both the front grille and radiator replaced, personally I think this might be a sign of a possible undocumented accident/collision. AND the alignment feels a little off, where the front left wheel either veers a little left or right, but it's rather slightly moderate than a severe misalignment feeling. Yes I know I should get an alignment, but I just got my whopping clutch done 2 weeks ago, and most of my bills are due this week. I'll forsure get it done within 2 weeks though.

So my mechanic also called me, and also noted this prior VW service. He also thought this was weird, bc he also thought that radiator and grille front replacements were perhaps due to possible undocumented collision/accident, for the CARFAX is clean with no documented accidents. My mechanic checked all prior service records for the VIN, for he thought it was weird how these bolts came to be crossthreaded...

As far as the previous owner, he seems really honest and has gone out of his way to work with me. For example, to sell the car with my Lender, smog was required. I wanted stage 2 though, so he offered to go stage 1 and reattach stock DP --> SMOG --> then go back to stage 2 and reattach the Borla exhaust. This is bc I originally wanted stage 2. But after research I realized stage 1 would be more than fine, afterall I don't race I just like fast lol, and I don't want to deal with future smog problems with the Borla, so I just had the stage 1 High torque and stock DP... Before clutch went it felt fantastic!

But, more importantly, I told him about the fuel pressure codes. He's been very honest and helpful with everything so far, and he said he has told me all about what he's done with the car, really only being the tunes and borla exhaust. He said he did not even touch the fuel pumps, and he truly sounded honest here. And he also sounded really honest when he said no codes have popped up. So as to the theory he was messing around with the fuel pumps, I doubt it according to my gut, yet anything is theoretically possible. I believe if anything, maybe there was a prior collision that caused some force to jolt backwards onto those bolts. I'm an engineering major, if there was a collision, according to physics for every action there's a reaction, definitely makes sense here. If so, what else should I have inspected? My mechanic seems to think this may be the cause, I'm going to try to work with him to maybe due some kind of inspection, I'm just not sure exactly what type of inspection to schedule here?

Otherwise, maybe installation error can be attributed to the crossthread issue? Hmmm idk...

I appreciate your input

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
100% install error. The pump will fight against you and try to sit cockeyed when you install it. Pretty easy to crossthread if not careful.
Yes, but that would mean on the factory line it happened, 40k miles it “just happened to back out enough to cause issues”

What’s that they say about ducks…

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
100% install error. The pump will fight against you and try to sit cockeyed when you install it. Pretty easy to crossthread if not careful.
Ahh gotcha okay thank you . So you think this problem originated during the factory assembly at VW? And not really related to a prior collision?

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Yes, but that would mean on the factory line it happened, 40k miles it “just happened to back out enough to cause issues”

What’s that they say about ducks…
What I also find weird , is that it happened on a steep hill when I was giving 4k rpm juice for barely 2 seconds, then the light came on… Hmmm I wish we could get an auto engineer on the line for thoughts…