GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parts for highline rear camera retrofit

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Got a second-hand highline camera for my wagon. Tested it briefly just to confirm that it works. If anyone is interested in watching the test, here it is:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Got wiring kit from AliExpress: http://ali4cars.com/s/?p=vw-mqb-rvc-high-wiring
Took me about 6 hours and 5 mistakes but finally wired it to the car.
If I had to do this again, I believe it would be 3 hours max, now that I know exactly how to do this.

Video below is not a complete tutorial, since I don't have 3rd hand hold the camera at all times. But still I hope someone will find it helpful while performing the retrofit.

mcquaim

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TDI 2.0
Hi guys,

I recently installed this camera into a MK7 Golf:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms3W1xe

I got it wired up fine but my issue is that the image on the stereo is the opposite. So, if I'm reversing and there is a car to the left of my car it shows as being on the right hand side on the stereo screen.

Has anyone else seen this before and how can I change it?

The parking sensors are the same, got the kit from the same seller..

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM4Wb52

I can't see anything obvious in VCDS 🤔

Cheers,
Mac

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
AFAIK there's no setting in MIB to reverse the image. MIB has no control over the image. Even the overlay with guidance lines is generated on the cameras side.

mcquaim

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TDI 2.0
AFAIK there's no setting in MIB to reverse the image. MIB has no control over the image. Even the overlay with guidance lines is generated on the cameras side.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

The seller in China said the setting in control module 10 needed to be set to have the car set to RHD and that would sort it.

I don't see any option in VCDS for setting the car to RHD. I got back to him stating this and he said to use ODIS instead.

I don't have access to ODIS so will need to check if anyone knows anyone who does.

Does anyone know if ODIS allows extra settings to be set over VCDS?

Or does anyone know if that option can be found or set somehow in VCDS or if anyone already has it listed on theirs?

Cheers,
Mac

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@mcquaim: Mac-Hi.

hmm..... interesting!! I've not seen the effect, but I have noticed words on some AliExpress stuff like this:

From HERE

Up until your post, I've not understood what this means. Maybe this is the issue - just a guess! If so, it's clearly a camera manufacturer thing rather than being something that is controlled by an OEM module (like the hex10 module). But I suspect this is not the problem - read below

As for setting RHD and given that your car would have been sold in Ireland/UK before the retrofit - I would have thought that it would already be configured for the steering wheel to be on the right-side (being the "correct-side", like here in Australia).

Because you say that both the distance sensors and the camera are the wrong-way-round -perhaps the original coding on the car has been altered (no offense intended). Maybe confirm that the MIB still has the correct RHD setting (again, no offense intended).

I suggest that you check the software switch @ Byte 19, Bit 1 (see below) on the hex5F module - is it set?

Don
PS: @mr-fix - great videos - I never tire of viewing your videos, always very instructive and as I have already said - I absolutely adore that accent (I don't have an accent ;) )!!
I don't know how you make the videos - holding the camera with one-hand while deftly manipulating car components with the other hand! Keep-up the good work!!

Last edited:

mcquaim

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TDI 2.0
@mcquaim: Mac-Hi.

hmm..... interesting!! I've not seen the effect, but I have noticed words on some AliExpress stuff like this:

From HERE

Up until your post, I've not understood what this means. Maybe this is the issue - just a guess! If so, it's clearly a camera manufacturer thing rather than being something that is controlled by an OEM module (like the hex10 module). But I suspect this is not the problem - read below

As for setting RHD and given that your car would have been sold in Ireland/UK before the retrofit - I would have thought that it would already be configured for the steering wheel to be on the right-side (being the "correct-side", like here in Australia).

Because you say that both the distance sensors and the camera are the wrong-way-round -perhaps the original coding on the car has been altered (no offense intended). Maybe confirm that the MIB still has the correct RHD setting (again, no offense intended).

I suggest that you check the software switch @ Byte 19, Bit 1 (see below) on the hex5F module - is it set?

Don
PS: @mr-fix - great videos - I never tire of viewing your videos, always very instructive and as I have already said - I absolutely adore that accent (I don't have an accent ;) )!!
I don't know how you make the videos - holding the camera with one-hand while deftly manipulating car components with the other hand! Keep-up the good work!!
Hi Don,

Thanks for the detailed reply, very helpful 😎

Well, I have changed the stereo from MIB1 to MIB2, changed the USB socket, added the camera and sensors so at this stage any settings might be currently set.

When I added the parking sensors I had to include the modules 10 & 6C in the CAN installation list. I presume the module 10 is the parking sensors module I had to install?

I will plug into the car later today and check what is set above and post back here.

Thanks again,
Mac

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
The seller in China said the setting in control module 10 needed to be set to have the car set to RHD and that would sort it.
Why would this make any difference? Doesn't matter if the car is RHD or LHD. Camera image needs to mirrored in both cases.

mcquaim

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TDI 2.0
Why would this make any difference? Doesn't matter if the car is RHD or LHD. Camera image needs to mirrored in both cases.
Hi there,

I was thinking that myself but that is what he told me 🤔 The fact the camera and the sensors both have the same issue makes me think it is a configuration setting...

I suppose all I can do is try and report back either way 🤞🏻

Cheers,
Mac

mcquaim

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TDI 2.0
Hi guys,

I got it sorted 😎

The car model on byte 0 of 5F was wrong, changed it to 5G and all was fine

Whatever car the MIB2 came out of must have been a LHD mode.

Cheers,
Mac

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Hi guys,

I got it sorted 😎

The car model on byte 0 of 5F was wrong, changed it to 5G and all was fine

Whatever car the MIB2 came out of must have been a LHD mode.

Cheers,
Mac
Whaaaat?
Please share your previous and current coding. I need to try this!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm..... indeed, it does sound "interesting"!

I suspect that it's not actually "byte 0 on 5F" - more likely, I believe that OP has an older style HEX + CAN diagnostic cable which shows this:

But yes, the previous value for these 4 x bytes would be informative

Don

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5
You only need to have the cables, the camera, and the emblem/badge. the emblem motor and the camera have different Part Number. Mine was 5ND980556 for the camera and 3GG827469 for the emblem motor/set

It works fine in my case. But when I press the park pilot button on the center console, the OPS display doesn't show up. But when I'm reversing, the camera feed dan the OPS show up.

I've tried calibrating my highline camera using DIY VAS6350, but always fails. But when I upload the correct parameters for it, the lines were corrected, and it works fine. So I guess, even if you couldn't calibrate it, you could try uploading the correct parameters
Hello. I need a help: I bought the high camera with de same partnumber that your. But is doesn’t work very well. When I put the car inverse, the display of my infotainment stay grey and freeze all. My car is a golf GTI mk7.5 2018. It have already low camera. So I used whole wires that original car. Except for the network gateway that it’s not included in low camera.

ricardosoa

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK 7.5

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
My friend I watched some your videos in YouTube and you have installed the high camera in you car, right?
So if possible you could help me?
My e-mail is: ricardosoa@gmail.com.
I’ll pay for your services.
wiring needs to be changes.
LOW vs HIGH camera have more differences than just the CAN-BUS connection.
You need to disconnect reverse bulb signal from the camera/mechanism. This signal will be detected via CAN-BUS now. Camera will control the mechanism.