GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passat GT

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Based on a concept Volkswagen brought to Automobility LA in 2016, and after considering all the feedback from North American customers, Wolfsburg has given the new Passat GT the green light. Unveiled at this year’s North American International Auto Show, the all-new Passat GT borrows looks from the R-Line Passat and takes a few cues from the Golf GTI. But the new sporty sedan is a little bit more than just cosmetic add-ons. In fact, it might be the smarter buy when lined up against its Audi equivalent, the A4.

The limited-run Passat GT may not have all-wheel drive like the Audi, but it’ll win a drag race. The naturally aspirated 3.6-liter VR6 engine up front makes 280 horsepower at 6,200 rpm, and 258 lb-ft of torque at a lowly 2,500 rpm, meaning the VW beats the top-trim A4 by around 30 horsepower. Leather and Alcantara pepper the cabin, which is pretty much standard for anything that wants to at least look sporty. And because power and looks aren’t everything, the Passat GT gets lowered, sport-tuned suspension for more aggressive styling and better handling.

The real kicker is the $29,090 price tag VW slapped on the Passat GT, which undercuts the base A4 by $7,000. Considering you get more power than the premium-level Audi and the sharp, mature design Volkswagen has adopted lately, the Passat makes a pretty good argument for itself.

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/07/31/volkswagen-passat-gt/

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The 3.6 VR6 & DSG has been out since 2012, in the NMS Passat, and has always started at the same price point of $29-30k in 2012, 2013, 2014, & 2017....with the GT taking that price point for 2018 now.
So VW slaps a (GTI looking) red striped grille, black trim, and some old Beetle wheels on it & now it has everyone's attention? :confused:

I thought I'd be interested in it, but I'm happier with my '17 V6 SE w/Tech that has more options AND was less money

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
I dunno. The A4 has one heck of a nice interior. If "luxury" is what I'm looking for...I'd drop the extra cash and get the A4.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Passat R line > Passat GT

It’s a big slow family car either way, I’d rather have 40mpg and a little turbo than the VR sound and still slow

Also, the R line looks much better IMO

Plus the R line is significantly cheaper to buy new, which is big since new cars depreciation is at an all time high

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Passat R line > Passat GT

It’s a big slow family car either way, I’d rather have 40mpg and a little turbo than the VR sound and still slow

Also, the R line looks much better IMO

Plus the R line is significantly cheaper to buy new, which is big since new cars depreciation is at an all time high
Didn't know that our GTIs were considered slow.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Didn't know that our GTIs were considered slow.

This entire thread and my comments on it are about the Passat lol

But personally I do consider the gti in stock form to be slow. Luckily there’s tons of untapped power available so that changed shortly after I purchased the car

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Slow is totally relative. Everyone has their own definition, in terms of how they interact with the car. Measured 0-60 or 1/4 mile times only matter as much as they matter, to you.

That being said, the problem I have with a Passat GT is that it's, well, a Passat. Cars are not toasters. I think drivers, at least enthusiast type drivers, form relationships with their cars that can't always be measured in quantitative ways. More power than an Audi A4, and a faster 0-60 time, might be very meaningful to some, totally not meaningful to others.

I mean, I have an R, but I realize I don't use a fraction of its (stock) power 99% of the time. I'm seriously considering looking at an Audi TT, if Audi gets off its ass with the '19s or '20s and gets forward collision mitigation in it. That car has a lot less power than the Golf R, and some might even say it's just a tarted up GTI. But it has a look and vibe that's totally different. In the same way, the A4 moves me in a way the Passat, no matter its stats, does not. Why? Hell if I know. I just know that if I have the money to spend, I'm not spending it on a Passat when I can afford an A5, say.

Doesn't mean the Passat isn't a cool car, or a bargain hot rod. But numbers aren't the whole story for me. YMMV.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
In the same way, the A4 moves me in a way the Passat, no matter its stats, does not. .

The new A4 is my favorite sedan on the road right now, and my favorite in 10 years for that matter. I haven't liked a sedan so much since the 2008 Acura TL Type-S in that really sexy blue.

If I could even begin to afford it, I would make pretty poor financial choices to be behind the wheel of one of those.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The new A4 is my favorite sedan on the road right now, and my favorite in 10 years for that matter. I haven't liked a sedan so much since the 2008 Acura TL Type-S in that really sexy blue.

If I could even begin to afford it, I would make pretty poor financial choices to be behind the wheel of one of those.

My preference would be either the green with the brown leather or the gray with the red; a friend though recently purchased an A5 in that blue. Very nice.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
My preference would be either the green with the brown leather or the gray with the red; a friend though recently purchased an A5 in that blue. Very nice.

Im a sucker for green (my fav color) - i would 110% get the green with brown. my next car is either goung to be a gfg alltrack with marrakesh interior or a gfg GTI SE with cloth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsi7

Ready to race!
This is exactly the same marketing gimmick that mercedes did a few years back. They launched the C450 with subtle C450/4matic badge on the trunk and some small amg badges on the side, then the next year they go balls out and bring back the old C43 badge and slap it on the trunk along with an amg badge... I bet it helped sales by having that AMG badge on the back

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
This entire thread and my comments on it are about the Passat lol

But personally I do consider the gti in stock form to be slow. Luckily there’s tons of untapped power available so that changed shortly after I purchased the car
We can all relate to a GTI and majority on here wouldn't call it slow. There is a big difference in a 14 sec vs 16 sec car. A car enthusiast should have a better understanding of that, or have more respect for it. So if 14 sec car is slow for you, fine w/ me, but then a 16 sec can't be the same type of slow. It's on a different level of slow. Perhaps that may not be the case if you drive 10, 11 sec cars. I personally think stock GTI is more than enough for public roads. A VR6 passat is in the same boat when it comes to straight line acceleration.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve own a dozen very slow Volkswagens, like non turbo 1.6 diesel mk1 and mk2 that’s the definition of slow.

My basis for slow as far as a fun car like a gti, mustang, wrx ect is will my diesel truck beat it? If the answer is yes, then yes it’s slow

funny summe poems

I sold it about a year ago after 11 years, but man was it fun. If you got gapped by my ‘93 W250 I’m pretty sure you’d agree your stock gti is slow

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That's a sweet looking truck. I got gapped by some pickup not too long ago, didn't look fast, maybe 15 yrs old. my stage1 struggled hard up to 40 or so (35 speed limit) ... wasn't going to double the speeds to show him before braking hard for the next light. I realized how much FWD sucks and how i should have bought an R. I might have had better luck in stock GTI w launch control.